General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tire Life vs. PSI

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
And if you survive I predict 5730 miles til the mid grooves are gone.
I bet he'll get to 10 times that (likely more). It's been done on stock Prius tires with no uneven wear apparent. You seem pretty sure of yourself but it sounds like it could be a myth to me.

Of course, by raising the psi, the handling characteristics are changed, but is it "unsafe" to do so? Don't be too quick to judge, because if you look, you will find that not everyone agrees.

Here's a good read: http://www.officer.com/web/online/Ed...ssure/19$27281

Last edited by BlackUp; 12-17-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I get about 50 (autocross) miles out of my Kumho V710's... LOL

I expect my Hankook RS-2 Summer tires to fare a little bit better than that!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlackUp
I bet he'll get to 10 times that (likely more). It's been done on stock Prius tires with no uneven wear apparent. You seem pretty sure of yourself but it sounds like it could be a myth to me.

Of course, by raising the psi, the handling characteristics are changed, but is it "unsafe" to do so? Don't be too quick to judge, because if you look, you will find that not everyone agrees.

Here's a good read: Driving Under Pressure: Editorial & Features at Officer.com

Prius tires are low rolling radius tires of narrow and hard rubber tread designs intended for high pressures but low cornering ability. Fit tires are not, but of course you can mount those Prius tires on a Fit with good results except cornering. The wider the tread the more 'bow' to be seen across the tread and thus higher wear in the center.
Happen to watch Top Gear's little test driving a Prius full out with a BMW M3 following discretely? Not surprizing the Prius got 17 mpg and the M3 got 19 mpg. The poor Prius hung out on every corner while the BMW took a stroll.
Showroom stock racing proved trime and again that high pressures to stiffen sidewalls for better cornering always wore the center of the treads quickly, generally in a hundred miles.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, they are at 80psig now and I have no problems with them cornering even on the wet pavement, experimented with an off ramp and several corners. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it with my last set of tires. We, yes we(everyone here), will find out what these tires are good for at the inflated psi. I want to use what works best. That means if 80psi is too high then I will gladly lower them. I am not saying what I am doing is right but I am merely experimenting. From my experience and what I have read about higher seems to be better for hypermiling.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Prius tires are low rolling radius tires of narrow and hard rubber tread designs intended for high pressures but low cornering ability. Fit tires are not, but of course you can mount those Prius tires on a Fit with good results except cornering. The wider the tread the more 'bow' to be seen across the tread and thus higher wear in the center.
Happen to watch Top Gear's little test driving a Prius full out with a BMW M3 following discretely? Not surprizing the Prius got 17 mpg and the M3 got 19 mpg. The poor Prius hung out on every corner while the BMW took a stroll.
Showroom stock racing proved trime and again that high pressures to stiffen sidewalls for better cornering always wore the center of the treads quickly, generally in a hundred miles.

Here's two stock Accord tires after 100,000 miles at 50-60psi over their life:

Those pictures are from this thread with other pictures of tires doing quite well at or above max sidewall pressures:
Max sidewall = wearing out center of tread??? - CleanMPG Forums

Last edited by BlackUp; 12-17-2008 at 10:49 PM.