General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Slow-Motion Fit Crash Videos for Front & Side Impacts

Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Arrow Slow-Motion Fit Crash Videos for Front & Side Impacts

ConsumerReports.org - Car crash test

Not sure if this has been posted on this board, but thought some of you would enjoy it!

Go to the "Crash Test Selector" at the bottom of the window"

1. Select "Honda" 2. Select "Fit" 3. Select "07-08" 4. Enjoy

Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Not nearly as nasty on the side impact test as I would have expected. Dual "Good" ratings ain't bad.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty good considering the size of the Fit... At least I know I'll have a fighting chance of walking away, considering the multitude of stupid drivers around here.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh first time CR presents something worthwhile to look at.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by wdb
Not nearly as nasty on the side impact test as I would have expected. Dual "Good" ratings ain't bad.
"Good" is the highest ranking available in the test.

IIHS crash tests
Frontal. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) front-crash test is quite different from NHTSA's in that it's designed to highlight the vehicle's structural integrity, as well as restraint performance. The crash simulates what would happen if two cars of the same weight and type crashed head-on, left headlight to left headlight. The impact speed is 40 mph instead of 35 mph, the barrier is deformable rather than rigid, and only the left front of the car hits the barrier.

This is a more severe test than NHTSA's because the speed is higher and the crash energy is concentrated on a smaller area. An instrument-equipped crash dummy in the driver's seat records forces to the head and neck, chest, legs, and feet. Vehicles are rated as Good, Acceptable, Marginal, or Poor based on what happens to vehicle structure, as well as forces on the dummies. Consumer Reports puts more emphasis on the IIHS tests when it derives its "crash protection" rating.

Side. The IIHS side-impact test is more sophisticated and also more severe than NHTSA's. The test uses a heavier striking barrier at 3,300 pounds, compared with NHTSA's at 3,015 pounds. Further, the IIHS barrier strikes higher up on the tested vehicle to simulate a car being hit on the side at 90 degrees by a typical-height SUV or truck. The IIHS bases its scores on head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis and leg injury rather than just chest injury, as NHTSA does.

The two dummies in the IIHS side-crash test represent a small adult female or a 12-year-old adolescent. One is the driver, the other a left-rear passenger. Other crash tests performed by NHTSA and the IIHS use a dummy that simulates an average-sized adult male.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
MSN Autos acquires crash test data provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These organizations provide data for specific types of tests, which are valuable to consumers and worth observing.

NHTSA Frontal Crash Test

NHTSA rates crash-tested vehicles by assigning them one to five stars, with five stars indicating the most injury protection and one star indicating the least protection.
Fit Driver Front Passenger Front
NHTSA Rollover Test

NHTSA rates crash-tested vehicles by assigning them one to five stars, with five stars indicating the most injury protection and one star indicating the least protection.
Fit Rollover
NHTSA Side Crash Test

Fit Front Side Rear Side
IIHS Frontal Offset Crash Test

About IIHS
Each vehicle’s frontal offset crashworthiness is based on performance in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test. Ratings depend on how well the structure/safety cage protects the occupant compartment, the risk of injury measured for an average-sized male, and how well the restraint system controls occupant movement.

Rating Key:G-Good A-Acceptable M-Marginal P-Poor

IIHS Injury measures
OVERALL - G
Structure/ safety cage- G
Head/ neck- G
Chest- G
Leg/foot left, right- G/A
Restraints/ dummy kinematics- G

IIHS Frontal Offset Crash Photos

Action shot from second of two frontal offset crash tests.

The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after both crash tests
indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well (second test shown).

Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head brushed across the side curtain airbag during rebound.

Forces on the lower right leg were high enough to indicate the possibility of injuries.

Last edited by ProMed; 07-21-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
much better than the XB.... that roof buckled

I'd better get back to work.... I've been sitting here watching these videos LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Does this hurt anyone else to watch?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by chinaman727
Does this hurt anyone else to watch?
I gotta admit this pic below made my knee hurt!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Retired Moderator
Did really well. Gotta love all those airbags.
After this vid, i watched the 04-06 xB vid and it did horrible! Fit safety FTW!

Tyler

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Can you believe the FIT is better in crash test than Hummer H3 ? check out the video for yourself

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Safety was a major factor in me getting a Fit. Glad the link was posted! Only saw the pics before now. Rep to ProMed for posting the link!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by henryd1981
Rep to ProMed for posting the link!
Thank You!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Searching for Fit info today I came across this poor guy who tested both front & side impacts at the same time! But it does look like the side curtain airbags maybe didn't deploy?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247366/2

Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
i was involved in a side impact crash of about 25 mph by a drunk driver, i was in my MINI COOPER, the side impacts saved me from being injured. I was really dang lucky. People always ask me why i like small cars, they always ask me if they're safe. Well obviously with the technology now a days, these small cars are very safe. Besides we're agile enough to get ourselves out of sticky situations.

just saw that the MINI only earned an acceptable, and well acceptable was good enough to prevent me from getting injured.

Last edited by chrisng; 07-24-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by TOOL
i watched the 04-06 xB vid and it did horrible! Fit safety FTW!
Tyler
Even their brand new XD doesnt do that well. mostly just average in its ratings and the tire gets shoved up into the drivers footwell area.

OBviously a head on with a mack truck will probably kill anyone.. even someone in a hummer.. but a fit would have a much better chance of missing it.

I think the reason why it does so well in side impacts as it seems to have a lot to do with how much the cars weighs. How easily it can be pushed aside. A larger car will crush more before starting to get pushed.. probably why the fit does so well.

Last edited by boon4376; 07-25-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by boon4376

I think the reason why it does so well in side impacts as it seems to have a lot to do with how much the cars weighs. How easily it can be pushed aside. A larger car will crush more before starting to get pushed.. probably why the fit does so well.
Lower weight/mass is actually a disadvantage in any collision with another car, it means you absorb more of the impact energy. The car flying to the side/getting pushed doesn't really reduce the risk of injury. Injuries occur due to physics, not just the car hitting you. Getting whipped around in a lightweight car when it flies across the road can cause plenty of injuries, whiplash etc.

The reason the Fit does so well in side impact testing is mainly that it has side and side curtain airbags which do a lot to help prevent head injury. Look at the results for any car where these are optional. The model without the SAB often does poorly, while the one with the SAB and curtain will do a lot better (except in the case of some poorly engineered Korean cars)

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Jaw drops

Thanks for the vids, man. Even tho I did cringe a little, the crash dummy looks like he made it out alright. My faith in my Fit is all the more stronger.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Those videos are crazy. Just watched the Ford Focus side test...wasn't pretty.