General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Road & Track Comments about "Hyper-Miling"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Road & Track Comments about "Hyper-Miling"

I noticed Road & Track had a few comments about Hyper-Mililing, basically echo's my own philosophy on it.

The article has a lot of other eco information on it, obvious stuff and also discusses a couple of urban MPG legends.
RoadandTrack.com -- Technical - Saving Fuel - and Still Having Fun (8/2008)

What About "Hyper-Miling"?
"Hyper-miling" has evolved as a subgenre of automotive enthusiasm striving to post the highest mpg for whatever you happen to drive. Its techniques are fun to discuss, often entertaining to practice, but also demanding of some plain ol' common sense. Among hot tips are shutting down the engine at appropriate opportunities; run up and coasting; running really high tire pressures, refueling in a most efficient manner and even attempting to exploit an aerodynamic tug from other traffic.

To take this last one first, drafting an 18-wheeler is stupid. Yes, in theory you can outbrake him, but not necessarily in practice — and the laws of physics are unforgiving.

Inflating tires beyond the automaker's recommendation will lower their rolling resistance. But an overinflated tire has a smaller contact patch that degrades your car's handling and braking. It'll compromise comfort and wear as well. By the way, that "51-psi maximum" embossed on the sidewall is a tiremaker's upper limit based on structural integrity; it has nothing to do with grip optimization.

Coasting out of gear can appear frugal, but "it ain't necessarily so." An idling engine requires a dollop of fuel to keep running; one coming down in gear may well have a fuel-shutoff. In two words, it depends.
Turning off the engine while coasting is really dim-witted. Power assist for brakes and steering can go away, the latter, remarkably quickly. If you're really inept, your key-off might even invoke the steering-wheel lock. And the subsequent key-on puts the engine into its less-than-fuel-efficient start-up mode.
By contrast, coasting in gear, and doing anything else to maintain momentum, is a free ride — and good fun as well. I especially like downhill sweepers where, traffic permitting, I imagine I'm piloting a bobsled and steering the path that scrubs off the least speed.

What about Do-It-Yourself stationary start/stops? This strategy has its tradeoffs. Hybrids and other dedicated start/stop systems have high-energy starters and an optimized restart routine. The DIY variety encounters start-up enrichment that may well cancel out any benefit.

Caught at a train crossing or in a lengthy tie-up? Sure; shut it down. But at most traffic lights or in ordinary stop-and-go traffic, it's likely more efficient to wait at patient idle (you and the car).

Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Same old same-old. They don't back anything up with data, just a bunch of maybes. And they know perfectly well that optimum tire performance is almost always achieved at tire pressures higher than the factory recommendations! They're talking out of both sides of their mouths. A shame.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah stupid people who do nothing but test every possible make and model of cars, trucks and exotics all day long, what do they know It just isn't "Officer.com" material right?

I think they took a very balanced look at this, they make a number of good points and arrive at logical and well though out conclusions.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-20-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
It is all hearsay coming from them. They have never tested vehicles or driving styles with the goal of maximum fuel economy. They are not hypermilers and have no say in suggesting what works and what doesn't. Just the same old info from people with no experience in that field.
Stick with 0-60 times road and track.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Exactly, their OPINIONS and yes, they STINK!

No one said it was easy or you will learn it first try on how to properly hypermile.

They mine as well write an article on how stupid it is for astronauts to travel to the space station.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Yeah stupid people who do nothing but test every possible make and model of cars, trucks and exotics all day long, what do they know It just isn't "Officer.com" material right?
I had a subscription to R&T once, back when it was a good read -- I let it lapse about 20 years ago. My way of saying I know who they are.
I think they took a very balanced look at this, they make a number of good points and arrive at logical and well though out conclusions.
They provided no data. It's a shot from the hip, a reactionary fluff piece.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Whether or not hypermiling actually saves enough fuel to make the exercise worthwhile is secondary to the potential hazards: Hazards such as rear-ending that semi you're drafting.

Or getting shot at by those pissed-off drivers behind you who don't necessarily share your zeal for high-mileage bragging rights at the expense of their having to slow to 20mph under the posted limit to accommodate you.

Or hazards to innocent people in oncoming cars that unwittingly run the risk of a head-on collision with the driver behind you who has finally run out of patience and tried to pass you against better judgement. True, the accident would have been his or her fault. But you certainly wouldn't be entirely blameless.

Nothing wrong with driving in a manner that conserves fuel. But safety and consideration for those who share the road with you trump that cause by a substantial margin.

(Steps down from soap box).

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
^^lol, I was on that soapbox for a quite a while too.

Best thing is too keep people informed of the risks and dangers, they are going to go out and do what they want anyway in the end.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
who gives a shit? if you hypermile, good for you, if you dont, good for you.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Road & Track
Does the word TRACK give you a clue. They could care less about Eco or FE but understand they need to sell their fish wrapper so feel compelled to weigh in on a subject. But, they just demonstrated there cluelessness on hypermilling.
**** em
I got 55 to 57mpg ever day this week and felt 100% safe doing it and did not see a single drive around me PO at me for HOW I was driving.

It's an acquired skill kids and like a good Scotch, is very cool

Last edited by pcs0snq; 08-01-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
As long as you keep right except to pass (ie: lead, follow or get out of the way, don't hog the left lane, and even pull onto the shoulder to allow others to pass when on a two-lane (as I do when necessary) there's no problem. It's those self-righteous ass-wipes who think it's their divine right to block traffic (many of whose egos will cause them to speed up to keep you from passing them on two-laners) who should be tied to the back of a manure spreader and dragged .

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I never understand those people that speed up to 150km when you try to pass them. I had a minivan do that to me on my trip back from BC, at least 1km before we hit the passing lane he would increase from 75 (posted limit being 90) up to 140+ and make it next to impossible to pass.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Aviator902S

Or getting shot at by those pissed-off drivers behind you who don't necessarily share your zeal for high-mileage bragging rights at the expense of their having to slow to 20mph under the posted limit to accommodate you.
This would be the only legitimate concern but I have never pissed some one off that much.

The problem we have here is a lack of understanding from the general public. Roadways/Highways/Interstates/etc. have speed RANGES which means there is a LOW and a HIGH. Those who do not plan ahead and are always in a hurry can have a big helping of KISS MY ASS! Just because you like to speed you can KISS MY ASS! Driving is a privilege and should be taken very seriously. A driver should be paying attention at all times. Distractions, people not paying attention and driving like a jackass causes accidents. People driving within the speed limit are doing what is allowed and required.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
It's those self-righteous ass-wipes who think it's their divine right to block traffic (many of whose egos will cause them to speed up to keep you from passing them on two-laners) who should be tied to the back of a manure spreader and dragged .
my thoughts exactly.

from a performance oriented carguy for the sake of enjoying the
ride and dynamics of the car, i agree with R&T, but as long as you
dont get into my way holding up traffic doing wat you guys do to
get those amazing mpg's, i really don't care!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
from a performance oriented carguy for the sake of enjoying the ride and dynamics of the car, i agree with R&T, but as long as you
dont get into my way holding up traffic doing wat you guys do to
get those amazing mpg's, i really don't care!
Exactly. People shouldn't get in the way... I don't get in anyone's way. I stay in the right lane. Even when I used to drive faster, I used to DESPISE it when people would try to block you out (by speeding up), or just sit in the fast lane. It still bothers me when I see it folks doing that stuff - it's selfish/egocentric and unsafe.

Just today I was behind a van as we were hopping onto the highway. Unfortunately, he can't corner - so we enter the freeway onramp at 35 MPH. He then immediately cuts off cars to get to the fast lane (doing 35 MPH). I give it more gas to get up to 50 MPH, and stay in the right lane.... right where I should be.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
Just today I was behind a van as we were hopping onto the highway. Unfortunately, he can't corner - so we enter the freeway onramp at 35 MPH. He then immediately cuts off cars to get to the fast lane (doing 35 MPH). I give it more gas to get up to 50 MPH, and stay in the right lane.... right where I should be.
With the exception of the cutting off the car move, I look at these as just another great chance for better FE. Any excuse to go SLOW.. lol Just pull in behind, as if your a victim of him. You get to go SLOW and nobody that has there eyes open can say it's you that Be holden sh1t up. If it's big it's also a great HOST for 1sec drafting.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
can this dude please be banned?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
can this dude please be banned?
Sure thing! Give me a minute.

Unfortunately:

Your search for username 'this dude' returned no results. Try your search again.
Sorry.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
With the exception of the cutting off the car move, I look at these as just another great chance for better FE. Any excuse to go SLOW.. lol Just pull in behind, as if your a victim of him. You get to go SLOW and nobody that has there eyes open can say it's you that Be holden sh1t up. If it's big it's also a great HOST for 1sec drafting.
lol, only works if you only objective is FE, if you are using your car to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time it is a totally different story

My philosophy is "Dammit if you don't want to go the speed limit get out and walk, it will take you the same amount of time"

Here is one both the FE guys and the driving guys can appreciate;
I had some old geezer in a 80's Buick come to a dead stop at the end of a merge lane onto a busy highway in front of me today... nothing like trying to merge with 100km traffic from 0km and no space to accelerate

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
two, two great threads in one, you got the knack sugarphreak

thread 1
I use DFCO and a couple of the tricks. I just dont happen to enjoy my car turning it on and off or much more than 38 lbs in my tyres.
The good thing about the R&T article is the novice needs to know that steering and brakes will change and you could lock the steering in a manual tranny. I do agree you gotta go the speed limit if yer blocking somebody who needs to get where they are going (which is most people)

thread 2
The obnoxious thing i hate is when somebody on the highway rides your tail and you are already over the limit by 5-12
What they are doing is using you as a shield, trying to push you faster.
Proof is when you slow down so they have to pass and then they go quite a bit slower when they are the lead car.

Quick Reply: Road & Track Comments about "Hyper-Miling"