General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Shifting into 2nd

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to shift my M/T from 1st to 2nd properly (smoothly). I think I've tried everything clutching out of 1st everywhere from barely 1500 rpm all the way up to 4500 rpm, but engaging 2nd almost always results in the car lurching a couple times. It annoys me; it must surely make my passengers wish they took another car!

I've read that this is a minor issue with Hondas in general, and maybe the Fit specifically thanks to its drive-by-wire throttle control. For those of you who can shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly and consistently, what's your secret?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, DBW sucks balls. take a day just to drive your Fit, you'll get used to it eventually.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
2nd is not as smooth as when I shift into the other gears. But I don't lurch forward or anything. Make sure you're not poppin' the clutch and hold about where it engages before letting out completely.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
2nd is a pain... how i get it as smooth as can be.... rev really high (5k+) or clutch really slow.... like on start up, also shifting above 3k helps... shfting at around 3k and clutching slowly is how i do it, jsut takes some time, you will get used to it

Old 08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
It's the smooooothest clutch I've ever used, but the window is small IMO. You'll get it!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it's easier for some and harder for others to get down the 1-2 shift. i guess the only thing for you to do is practice and try different things.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
car is perfectly normal, just work on yourself. You have to let it drop to about where itll be in the next gear then let the clutch out. DBW in this car is actually very good. Drive a civic or any other brand car thats DBW compared to the fit

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
When it lurches it feels sounds like maybe the RPMs have dropped low enough that the engine is on the verge of stalling, but considering the speed I'm usually going by then that doesn't seem likely.

Maybe I'm de-clutching too quickly... the Fit manual, on page 156, recommends shifting from 1 to 2 at about 24 km/h (15 mph). I *think* this is around 3500 rpm, while I'm shifting from 1st more when it's between 2500 and 3000 rpm. And, I'm usually in 5th at the point where they recommend shifting from 3 to 4.

Next time I'm out I'll try shifting closer to the recommended shift point and see what happens, but I think the problem is more finding the sweet spot when de-clutching and throttling into second.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 AM
well if im driving "fast" i dont switch till i hit redline.she usally jumps alittle bit in this mode.

if im granny driving i switch at about 3500rpm to 4000 rpm, shift slow and ease the clutch up.
i had this issue when i got my fit. i was giving every one whiplash. i got 4777km put on the fit now and im getting alot better at the 1-2 shift.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
The first thing you have to do is take your time, don't try to shift too quickly. Considering you're shifting at 2500-3000rpm you're not trying to break any land-speed records. lol Also, if you're trying to get the best mpg, I found it's better to shift between 3000rpm to just under 3500rpm, otherwise you have to push the gas pedal down too far to accelerate. And that puts you in v-tec at a much lower rpm.

Also, like Fitzy said there's a very small window for a smooth shift, so if you miss it, don't try to push the clutch pedal back down and try again because chances are you'll miss it again and the car will lurch more than once.

It's very possible that if you shift at 2500rpm, you're rpms get too low when engaging into 2nd and the car feels like it will stall, it won't of course, but you can get that engine rattle sound.

Finally, more gas isn't always the answer. If you're initially lurching forward you're giving it too much gas before the clutch is engaged (rpms go higher than they were when you got out of 1st). But, if the car slows drastically, then lurches forward; you're not giving it gas soon enough. (rpms dropping below 1000) And then if you hit the gas too hard you'll lurch forward.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
It took me a while too

The gap between 1-2 is pretty big, much bigger than between the other gears. Here what worked for me:

I normally shift about 3k.

Adjust gas/clutch pedal timing to compensate for DBW holding up the revs when you release the gas pedal. Lift off gas, wait a split second, THEN push in clutch and shift. Wait another split second to allow for RPMS to finish dropping to where they need to be going into 2nd before lifting up he clutch.

Works like a charm for me, but it took a while to get the timing right.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by zukered
For those of you who can shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly and consistently, what's your secret?
Rev matching, pop the clutch where you predict the RPM's to be when its fully engaged into second. You're passengers will think your cars an auto. I'm so smooth most people say "I thought you had an automatic"... not to toot my own horn

Practice doing it while downshifting and then start doing it while you shift up and it will be really really easy. It can take a while to get the hang of.

In case you're really new to this concept.. To match the rev, use the gas pedal to get the RPM's up to where you want them. Make sure you're not riding the clutch, this should be smooth and quick. When your're really good you dont even need to actually use the clutch (although its not good for the transmission) becuase you've matched the REV's so well it will just slide into gear. I got really good practice on my old saab when the hydraulic clutch cylinder sprang a leak and had to drive 15 city miles to get to the mechanic (with no clutch whatsoever)

Last edited by boon4376; 08-01-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
it sounds like you're letting the clutch out too quickly. shift at around 3500, but let the clutch up a little slower than you would for 2-3, 3-4, 4-5. then ease on the gas after the clutch is released.
every car has a sweet spot, if you practice driving this way, you'll learn how to make the shift smoother.

compared to my old GC impreza, the fit's clutch and shifting is a breeze.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boon4376
Practice doing it while downshifting and then start doing it while you shift up and it will be really really easy. It can take a while to get the hang of.

In case you're really new to this concept.. To match the rev, use the gas pedal to get the RPM's up to where you want them. Make sure you're not riding the clutch, this should be smooth and quick....
I'm familiar with rev-matching when downshifting, though I don't do it often; if stopping, I normally leave it in highest gear, letting the car roll and slow down itself, then clutch out when just before the engine starts lugging.

Rev-matching while upshifting though, is that simply waiting for the RPMs to drop to the expected RPM for the next gear up, then release the clutch and throttle up?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Rev-matching while upshifting though, is that simply waiting for the RPMs to drop to the expected RPM for the next gear up, then release the clutch and throttle up?
Depends, on my saab, the rpm's drop too fast to do that, I usually have to blip the throttle to bring them up again.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I got really good practice on my old saab when the hydraulic clutch cylinder sprang a leak and had to drive 15 city miles to get to the mechanic (with no clutch whatsoever)
I had a similar situation years ago when the clutch cable let go on an Omni on my way home from work. Managed to time all the lights perfect except one - ended up shutting it down and starting it back up in gear at that one. You definitely learn rev matching in a hurry when the need arises.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Depends, on my saab, the rpm's drop too fast to do that, I usually have to blip the throttle to bring them up again.

That's one of the few good things I can say about my Saturn ION, the rpms would drop really slow, so rev matching was a breeze.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm familiar with rev-matching when downshifting, though I don't do it often; if stopping, I normally leave it in highest gear, letting the car roll and slow down itself, then clutch out when just before the engine starts lugging.

Generally yes, and very much so on the Fit, because the DBW keeps the revs up for a bit after you let off the throttle. That's why I suggest lifting the throttle first, then push in the clutch, shift, and let up on clutch when the rpms are where they should be for 2nd gear.

As another poster stated, on some cars the revs do drop really fast so you actually have to blip the throttle. But this is NOT the case on the Fit

Old 08-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
It took me a couple months to get over that, but recently it's fine. The only problem i have is... out of the corner of my eye from 1st to second, my passenger always goes foward as a push the cluth in and the goes back to their original position after i let go. lol i've been trying to get over that part lately

Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to shift my M/T from 1st to 2nd properly (smoothly). I think I've tried everything clutching out of 1st everywhere from barely 1500 rpm all the way up to 4500 rpm, but engaging 2nd almost always results in the car lurching a couple times. It annoys me; it must surely make my passengers wish they took another car!

I've read that this is a minor issue with Hondas in general, and maybe the Fit specifically thanks to its drive-by-wire throttle control. For those of you who can shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly and consistently, what's your secret?
clutch-out gently while you apply slight throttle. wat you're probably
doing is you're not giving enough throttle to keep the flywheel from
loosing momentum. there should be no slippage on the clutch, btw
when you engage gently.

can't blame it on DBW cause i can get seamless shifts up and down.

Quick Reply: Shifting into 2nd