General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new information regarding the US debut

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, that Honda & Toyota are the best cars. I see some cars that intrest me, like the Aerio, and 2006 Rio "5 door", and some others, even the Chevy Aveo hatchback (which looks in it's own way like a Fit), but it's the quality issue. One of my co-workers just bought a Scion xA, which I think is about the size of the Fit. The xA is more aggressive looking when stock compared to the Fit, but I'd have a hard time with the center mounted instrument cluster. I guess you'd get used to it, but it just looks "wierd" to me. :-) I like the Fit's dashboard better. BTW, if Toyota would put the 160 HP engine out of the Scion TC into the xB.....killer! heh

Old 10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Heck, if they put the 1ZZ-FE (e.g. 130 hp Corolla engine) in the xA/xB it'd be a killer!

You get used to the center-mounted gauge pod really quickly. It's actually less distance for the eye to travel than down and up (or so they claim).

So many new small cars coming out — it's about time! Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa; and redesignes of others (Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Chevy Aveo). Looks like this segment is heating up!

Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
You're right about that - lotsa new, small cars coming to the US. 2006 will be an interesting year with all these little cars. I really want to see how they compare. Some of the web sites like edmunds.com and the magazines will do a comparison sooner or later. It will also be interesting to see how the American public reacts to these cars. They're itty bitty by our standards, not much power, but great fuel economy. Will the high cost of gas cause people to buy these cars? I always liked the little cars, and sometimes wished I lived in Europe, so I could drive 'em. Well, this year I may get my wish. :-)

Old 10-05-2005, 08:55 AM
mav
With gas prices the way they are, many are looking towards hybrids and small cars, instead of SUV's and trucks.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by siguy
They're itty bitty by our standards, not much power, but great fuel economy. Will the high cost of gas cause people to buy these cars?
Actually, when those cars arrive in the USA they won't be underpowered like in the past, thanks to modern engine design. I expect the Honda Fit to offer surprisingly good performance, mostly because I expect Honda to offer the car with two different engine types: 1.5-liter L15A i-DSI (95-100 bhp SAE 08/04 net) and 1.5-liter SOHC i-VTEC (112-116 bhp SAE 08/04 net). The latter engine will be derived from the 1.3-liter SOHC i-VTEC engine used on the 2006 Civic Hybrid sedan.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:39 PM
It's going to be 1.2 or 1.4- says a Honda mechanic- a friend of a friend Which is what they have in Europe.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by siguy
You're right about that - lotsa new, small cars coming to the US. 2006 will be an interesting year with all these little cars. I really want to see how they compare. Some of the web sites like edmunds.com and the magazines will do a comparison sooner or later. It will also be interesting to see how the American public reacts to these cars. They're itty bitty by our standards, not much power, but great fuel economy. Will the high cost of gas cause people to buy these cars? I always liked the little cars, and sometimes wished I lived in Europe, so I could drive 'em. Well, this year I may get my wish. :-)

So many new little cars, and Honda is the lastone to get on the job? WTF is taking so long? The Echo has been on the market for 3-4 years. It's not like this segment is new. Honda used to own this segment but lost it by making the Civic an Accord.

And lets hope they sell the 1.2L here, no need for a 1.5L vtec while in 2km/h traffic jams.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. I hear you real well on traffic jams!! :-) But, I still think the 1.5 would be the best motor, here anyway, cuz the car has to have enough power to get on the freeway or expressway in a timely manner. My Toyota truck, The Weak Dawg, has a 4cyl and automatic trans, and believe me that I have to turn off the A/C when getting on the freeway, cuz these idiots will run you over if you're too slow. We have a "loop" (outer freeway) and the hiway patrol nailed a guy for going 120 MPH awhile back. I know that part of the loop real well, and you can drive 70 MPH in the slow lane and still get tailgated. You California guys, does that sound familiar? heh

Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fiticeland
It's going to be 1.2 or 1.4- says a Honda mechanic- a friend of a friend Which is what they have in Europe.
I have my doubts Honda will use the L13A i-DSI engine on the US-market model, mostly because the US-market car will be heavier than Fit/Jazz models sold in other parts of the world (due to more safety equipment installed). Hence my suggestion that US-market Fits will get either the L15A i-DSI or the 1.5-liter derivative of the 1.3-liter SOHC i-VTEC engine from the 2006 Civic Hybrid.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Talking

I know it's not the same as a car's CVT, but I ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 with a CVT auto and an optional to 6 speed man-u-matic shift.
All I can say to doubter's is you should see the look on Harley and some smaller sport bike riders when I pull away from them at a stop light.
The lack of delay from no clutching actully proves to be faster than having to clutch.
Some conditions (like heavy traffic) prove the all auto mode to be a true hassle saver. While the option of going manual also gives great performance potential.
I've ridden in a Civic Hybrid with CVT and must admit in a car it seems strange but I for one would kill for the 7 speed CVT option!

Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 AM
mav
Some people will always prefer to row their own gears.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
All automatics and CVT's do is replace your left foot and brain with complexity and weight. F1 has gone the semi, and sometimes full auto because hundredths of seconds count, and the gearboxes they use can shift much faster. WRC uses sequential-shift planetary gearboxes like on motorcycles for the same reason. They are more robust than the F1 trannies. But either way, I don't have a team of mechanics to tear my drivetrain apart after every run to the 7-11. Give me a good 5 or 6 speed manual over any semi or full auto anytime and in any car. I am not so lazy that I can't shift it myself. There is nothing worse than coming off a freeway ramp, turning onto the surface street, stepping on the gas, and having that slushbox hunt for a gear. With a manual you have a direct connection between your brain, hands and feet with what the car is doing.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BKKJack
There is nothing worse than coming off a freeway ramp, turning onto the surface street, stepping on the gas, and having that slushbox hunt for a gear.
Actually, Honda has done a pretty job with their current 5-speed automatics used on the current-generation US-market Honda Accord and the new 8th-generation Honda Civic in terms of "finding the right gear," mostly because of improved electronic controls that quickly switches to the right gear depending on driving situation. Driving my late mom's 1988 Honda Accord you can tell it takes a while to "find" the right gear on the four-speed automatic, especially climbing up freeway onramps; with the current Accord that gear hunting is not there.

Besides, with a CVT the right "gear ratio" is accessed extremely quickly, so the weird engine surge you get with an older-style automatic when it tries to find the right gear vanishes.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have driven the Jazz CVT-7, and a 2005 Accord V-6. While I will admit the auto in the Accord is better than they were even just a few years ago, it is still an auto. I works in the Accord, because that has become more of a "gentlemen's express" than a fun "sporty" car. As evidence, the Accord I drove belonged to my 75 year old father.

The Jazz CVT-7 (this is just my opinion) just doesn't do the car justice. In full auto mode, there is a disconcerting disconnection between you and what is going on. In the "manual" mode, the shifting is better, but I still felt disconnected. The push-buttons are too much like a video game. I'd much rather row a shifter. With the nice handling and steering the car has, the manual would make it (at least for me) a much more enjoyable car to DRIVE.

Why doesn't Honda install a sequential-shift box like they have on their bikes. I believe the CBR1000RR has more horsepower and torque than the Fit, and the transmission for that is obviously small enough. Is there a problem with adding a reverse gear? I think that would be the best package going. Throw an ignition cut-out on it and you could bang clutchless upshifts all day.

Last edited by BKKJack; 11-17-2005 at 01:27 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Angry I think we've been hoodwinked.

Folks,

Someone on another forum mentioned that the original post about the US-spec Honda Fit has yet to produce the video that shows the specifications of the US-market car.

In my humble opinion, I think we've been given information that is utter

Why do I say this? Because the only automatic transmission types that the Fit/Jazz ever used are the Multimatic CVT units in both normal and CVT-7 units. With the Fit/Jazz likely to get a full-model change (FMC) with the next two years, it would be too expensive for Honda to engineer, manufacture and get US emissions certification for the five-speed automatic, especially since the production run using the current mid-model change Fit from Japan will be relatively short until Honda does the FMC.

I mean, look at the Fit now sold in Mexico, probably the closest in configuration to the Fit we'll get next spring; it uses the L15A VTEC engine with the normal CVT automatic in addition to the five-speed manual transmission.

Last edited by MtViewGuy188; 11-17-2005 at 10:54 AM. Reason: correct to abide by forum rules
Old 11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I agree with you..Every fit mfrd comes with the CVT trans..Why would Honda ditch it for only the US market?

Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I hope you are wrong, and we will get the CVT-7. Although I hate autos, the only redeeming value of the CVT is the -7 part. As long as we get the manual, I will be happy. I think that sales would be much better if had the -7 available.