General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda navi or aftermarket???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda navi or aftermarket???

OK thinking about getting Navi for the 09 but then I looked at after market options. If the new Honda Navi costs 1500 bucks, for that cash I could get the top of the line Kenwood for that price and get way more features. One in particular that interests me is Homelink. With the kenwood I can open my garage door with it. Not to mention all the other things like xm, HD radio, DVD, HD. Plus you can also get a add on to still control the radio with the stearing wheel controls.

So what are the disadvantages of going with aftermarket navi vs honda navi because right now aftermarket is where i am leaning.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
My $175 Garmin Nuvi works great, haven't once wished to have factory nav.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Buy an aftermarked, the Navi system Honda offers you get too few functions for the money.

Garmin has some nice ones if you like portable GPS. (I have a GPSMAP 60CSx)

I chosen Pioneer for my integrated audio/navigation/video system that I have built into my car. Actually Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in the US). It is a 2DIN unit with touchscreen. This unit is on the more expencive one. But a AVIC-D3 would work fine as an Audio/Navigation unit too.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
id go aftermarket.... the only advantage i see to the factory one... harder to steal... but if your not dumb with your aftermarket one (as in keep it hidden/ locked up when not driving) i think you should be fine... 1500 is ALOT for a GPS, top of the line ones after market are like 800ish i belive... i personaly would never spend 1500 on a factory GPS

Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Mine 2DIN unit is mounted exactly the same way the factory navi is. So stealing my aftermarked navi unit is as hard to steal as the factory one. There is to large bolts helding the unit to the chassis. The bolts are not easy to reach and is not visible at all, you have to know where they are. But for the thief with lots of time a some knowledge about how it is mounted, it could also be stolen...

Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I like the Honda Navi. Honda's navi is made by Kenwood, and the ease of the system along with the 900+ voice commands is awesome. I would take the Honda Navi over a aftermarket unit.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
OEM Nav for me. Even though I already have a handheld Garmin I use for boating and motorcycling.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
kenwood made a dd navgation dvd player its like 6.1 inches or something its really cheap for the price $630

Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by ProMed
OEM Nav for me. Even though I already have a handheld Garmin I use for boating and motorcycling.
Same here... due to the fact that it`s less likely to be stolen , vice an aftermarket Navi unit...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Either one can be stolen.

Kenwood with the beautiful Garmin interface is among the leaders in the current in-dash Nav. Pioneer is the other top choice these days. The best units will be above $1500.

Food for thought........those of you who give Honda your dollars for a limited no-choice head unit and/or NAV will keep supporting the future as you have to buy this car and you have no personal choices available to you for a head unit or Navigation unit. Imagine not being able to change the wheels/tires. You might be a little pissed. This is a little extreme, but an example to prove a point. Don't buy factory radios when there is a choice available!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Only upside I can see to OEM, and its a very small plus in my book, is its covered by the factory warranty. Aftermarket you are usually only getting 1 year.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Fa1
Honda oem navi's have been rated to be some of the best ones out there. If you don't mind losing out on a few features and are willing to pay the premium on it, go for it.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 AM
The navigation offered with the current Fit isn't built in, is it? I thought it was just one you could stick onto your dashboard or something. Either way, got pictures, JDMchris?

Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wuze
The navigation offered with the current Fit isn't built in, is it? I thought it was just one you could stick onto your dashboard or something. Either way, got pictures, JDMchris?
The current one for the 07/08 is a portable Garmin unit. He was talking about the 09 Navi which will be like the civic navi most likely.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Ahh, good to know, thanks.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
AFTERMARKET ALL THE WAY \o/\o/\o/

Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
You OEM lovers, think about this. How much do you like those OEM speakers in your car? They suck balls because it was put in there as a price point. Do you think you are really going to get the latest and best technology from Honda for a $1500 upgrade. Think again. I don't think Kenwood is making the Honda piece as they have never been doing OEM. It's probably Alpine which is not exactly at the top of the pile in Navigation. Companies that do things for the OEM's are not going to give you their best because the OEM's aren't paying top dollar.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
You OEM lovers, think about this. How much do you like those OEM speakers in your car? ... Do you think you are really going to get the latest and best technology from Honda for a $1500 upgrade. Think again... Companies that do things for the OEM's are not going to give you their best because the OEM's aren't paying top dollar.
Can't agree more~ just think about how much you need to pay for the HFP Set of wheels from dealership compare to aftermarkets (or even the same ones but not from dealership). Not to mention how basic features like anti-thief devices (aka car alarm) and fog lights cost so much more.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
You OEM lovers, think about this. How much do you like those OEM speakers in your car? They suck balls because it was put in there as a price point. Do you think you are really going to get the latest and best technology from Honda for a $1500 upgrade. Think again. I don't think Kenwood is making the Honda piece as they have never been doing OEM. It's probably Alpine which is not exactly at the top of the pile in Navigation. Companies that do things for the OEM's are not going to give you their best because the OEM's aren't paying top dollar.
+1
I have a Pioneer Avic F700bt in my 08, $600 and it has a ton more features than OEM. Bluetooth, ipod control, sd card slot, 2d and 3d maps, xm, HD radio, etc.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks methodbasic.
I have seen this horrible nightmare happen before our very eyes for the past eight years. It won't be much longer and there won't be any cars that you get without having to take a shitty OEM radio from. It won't be very much longer when the dashboards are so integrated that you can't remove your shitty OEM radio and replace it with one of choice. We are loosing the ability to CHOOSE! Wake up people. You will be stuck as hell!

What you can do is not take cars with upgraded sound systems and radio options. REFUSE!

Quick Reply: Honda navi or aftermarket???