Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Arrg! Broke lug nut stud! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/29310-arrg-broke-lug-nut-stud.html)

pokems23 08-10-2008 12:24 AM

Arrg! Broke lug nut stud!

2 Attachment(s)
Long story short, I had brought my car to Honda to have them take off my wheels locks, because I had lost the wheel lock key. They told me they torqued all the nuts. Three weeks later I decide to rotate my tires and this happened.

Attachment 78347

Attachment 78348

It felt like all the lug nuts were over tightened which may have caused this. Seems like a somewhat easy fix, but it's just a hassle doing it when I could be playing in the sun.

lidoshorty02 08-10-2008 12:27 AM

damm that sucks

Hootie 08-10-2008 12:31 AM

^ Agreed.

Did it break when you were unscrewing the nuts? If so, I'd so give the dealer a ear full for this.

manxman 08-10-2008 12:36 AM

Remember to use anti-seize compound on the studs and that won't happen again.

dagul 08-10-2008 01:11 AM

Anti-seize is not necessary... Tightening the lugs to the proper torque specs with a torque wrench instead of a impact wrench would have avoided the OP's headache.

kylerwho 08-10-2008 01:42 AM

looks like dealer used an impact wrench.
Warrenty cover that type of thing?

swaknets 08-10-2008 01:50 AM

Man, cant remember how many bolts I broke in the past:rolleyes:, could be PITA to replace...bring it back to the dealer, they might replace it for free since they might have overtorqued the lugs....Good Luck!

Saved 08-10-2008 02:22 AM

I went though this crap today. Biggest PITA I've dont yet on the Fit. They charged me $10.55 for the stud and it took a while to get it on there. I was going to replace all the studs in the front with longer accord wheel studs but after this one little replacment, I don't think I could go through the other seven.

Fitcapo 08-10-2008 03:30 AM

..... did they not use a torque wrench? You shouldnl't have to pay to fix that because they should have used a torque wrench and if they did that wouldn't have happened.

ricohman 08-10-2008 09:03 AM

Does the Fit use a sealed bearing or a cup and cone in the rear?
Either way its an easy fix.

dagul 08-10-2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ricohman (Post 391231)

Should be a sealed bearing built into the hub.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/i.../71/380164.png

Here's the blowup of the front for poops and giggles...

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/i.../71/380167.png

Pictures courtesy of Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts

pokems23 08-10-2008 01:07 PM

stud

Yeah, it broke while trying to remove lug nut. Honda is closed. Anyone know what size stud it would be so I can visit a car parts store?

Raaaaaaaaaay. 08-10-2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ricohman (Post 391231)

Its not an easy fix at all. Ive replaced 2 on my Fit. Both fronts.
I broke another one when I removed my SSR wheels. I refuse to replace it, the tip keeps breaking so its getting shorter and shorter. *LAUGHS*

If you can get the hub off its an easy fix. I didnt try. I just looked at it and smashed the new one through the back.
I used 8th gen Civic studs as Autozone doesnt have Fit ones.

The civic ones are shorter too. :-/

I need to replace all my lug studs. Theyre all F-ed.

Saved 08-10-2008 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by I Am Ray. (Post 391329)
Its not an easy fix at all.
If you can get the hub off its an easy fix. I didnt try. I just looked at it and smashed the new one through the back.

Amen! I think the hub is pressed in. I had one heck of a time trying to get the new bolt through the back without messing it up.

ricohman 08-10-2008 01:49 PM

Maybe I should have said "an easy fix for those of us with a hydraulic press, all the fittings, an air compressor with air tools, a complete mechanics chest full of tools and who are mechanics".
Nuff said.

pokems23 08-10-2008 05:10 PM

studs

3 Attachment(s)
It seemed like an easy fix according to the DIYs I found online. Except when your working on a Fit!!!!! I tried to remove the screws on the rotor, but stripped the Philips head on them. So I drilled them out! YES! But then this happened when trying to remove the studs.

Attachment 78337

Attachment 78338

Attachment 78339

I don't have the tools or knowledge to remove the hub. Guess I'm going to have to fork out some dough at Honda to fix it.

swaknets 08-10-2008 05:19 PM

its real PITA with the fronts, youll definitely need a press to separate the knuckle and the hub...

Raaaaaaaaaay. 08-10-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen Mojo (Post 391335)
Amen! I think the hub is pressed in. I had one heck of a time trying to get the new bolt through the back without messing it up.

I just mashed mine through, then cleaned the threads with a tap/die set.
Not looking forward to doing another stud.

I think Im going to have Honda do all the front ones. All my studs are screwed as I shaved them down for my first set of adapters.

Raaaaaaaaaay. 08-10-2008 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by pokems23 (Post 391474)
It seemed like an easy fix according to the DIYs I found online. Except when your working on a Fit!!!!! I tried to remove the screws on the rotor, but stripped the Philips head on them. So I drilled them out! YES! But then this happened when trying to remove the studs.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...3/IMG_0464.jpg

I don't have the tools or knowledge to remove the hub. Guess I'm going to have to fork out some dough at Honda to fix it.

Beat that motha chicken out. I went to town on mine, it popped right out.

qwerty66 08-10-2008 05:32 PM

hi guys
this is my first post
i worked as a tech for a abit in a general repair shop and i have friends that work at toyota honda and nissan, they all told me no dealership will use a torque wrench
they all use impact gun with a torque stick which is set at 80 ft/lb( for honda)
it's easy to replace the studs
just order the stud from honda or parts store
and use a cheisel and hamemr to knock out the old one
then stick the new one through and since there are grooves on the stud you will need to use the nut to slowly cut it into your hub just get a socket and a rachet and just slowly tighten the nut onto the stud and that will force the stud to sit into the hub
sorry if i can't explain better then that