General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 Fit with Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 AM
2009 Fit with Sirius Satellite Radio

Hi. New guy here.

I am going to buy a Fit Sport with the NAV/VSA package.

I currently have an 03 Element with Sirius but it is not integrated.

I was looking at the Sirius website and they have modules specifically for Honda/Acura where the satellite radio unit would be hidden and work with the factory installed radio (including steering wheel controls, etc). Where in the Fit they could possibly find to hide it I have no idea!

They list the specific models/trims/years from Honda/Acura that they work with. The Fit is not listed.

BUT

They do list cars that they say can be used with the NAV units in those cars.

The link is:

Directed Electronics Honda/Acura Compatible SiriusConnect™ Interface - Shop Sirius

They say that all the Acuras must already be XM compatible but they don't say that about the Hondas (except the S2000).

My question is this: Are the NAV units Honda uses all the same? If the Sirius units work with the Accord/CR-V/Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline that have NAV is there any reason to think that they wouldn't work with the Fit that has NAV?

Thanks for any insight.

BTW - I am selling the Element. If anyone lives in SW Florida and is looking for one...

Auto/AWD/Silver/Towing Package/Roof Rack and more

Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM
The Nav in the 09 Fit does not have XM, so I have to doubt it is "satellite ready" with the correct inputs or controls. My 4Runner came "satellite radio ready" and you just had to pick and buy the XM or Sirius module to connect it.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:58 PM
If you look at the compatibility tab on the Sirius link, the Accord/CR-V/Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline that have NAV systems are not satelite ready either.

If they were you wouldn't need to buy anything else.

Sirius says that you can get it set up so that Sirius is integrated in the NAV radio for those cars if you buy the receiver and a second module. Not sure what the second module does. The radio with a NAV system works as a touchscreen (doesn't it?) so maybe it is some kind of software/touchscreen interface used to control the satellite radio.

So, if the Fit uses the same NAV system as the Accord/CR-V/Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline it should work. Are all the NAV systems Honda installs now all the same? If so the Fit will probably use the same NAV system too.

So that brings me back to my question: Do all Hondas (except for the S2000) use the same NAV system?

Last edited by Cowbuoy; 08-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
from what i read in a review. the nav unit
is suppose to be the same as the civic.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Cowbuoy
The radio with a NAV system works as a touchscreen (doesn't it?) so maybe it is some kind of software/touchscreen interface used to control the satellite radio.

So, if the Fit uses the same NAV system as the Accord/CR-V/Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline it should work. Are all the NAV systems Honda installs now all the same? If so the Fit will probably use the same NAV system too.

So that brings me back to my question: Do all Hondas (except for the S2000) use the same NAV system?
The 09 Fit Nav is not a touch panel.

All of the other Honda Nav systems come with XM Satellite, the Fit does not. All of the other 09 Honda Nav systems have bluetooth, the 09 Fit does not.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 AM
The Accord 03+ with NAV system did not have Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius) but Sirius can be installed to work on the OEM NAV/Radio system with everything needed hidden.

Same with CRV 07+ and Odyssey 05+ and Pilot 06+ and Ridgeline 06+

All this according to the Sirius website at the link I posted.

When did Honda hook up with XM?
At some point NAV came with XM integrated into them. I doubt the Accord with NAV had XM all the way back in 03.

Now that Sirius and XM are merged/merging I doubt it matters which logo is on a particular radio. They must be in the process of changing all the satellites to be used together.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Cowbuoy
The Accord 03+ with NAV system did not have Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius) but Sirius can be installed to work on the OEM NAV/Radio system with everything needed hidden.

Same with CRV 07+ and Odyssey 05+ and Pilot 06+ and Ridgeline 06+

All this according to the Sirius website at the link I posted.

When did Honda hook up with XM?
At some point NAV came with XM integrated into them. I doubt the Accord with NAV had XM all the way back in 03.

Now that Sirius and XM are merged/merging I doubt it matters which logo is on a particular radio. They must be in the process of changing all the satellites to be used together.
XM started broadcasting in late 2001. 03 was the first year for Nav in the Accord, but all Accords 04+ came with XM. CRV 07+, Odyssey 05+, Pilot 06+, Ridgeline 06+ ALL came with XM from the factory.

If the car aready has XM, this means you can just switch the XM module and interface cable with one for a Sirius system. Or if the car, navigation unit, or aftermarket radio is "Satellite Ready" then you just plug the Sirius module and interface cable in. My 4Runner didn't come with XM or Sirius, but the factory navigation was Sat Ready so I just purchased and plugged in the XM module.

The 09 Fit does not come with XM, and I haven't seen anywhere yet that says it is Sat Ready. Your guess is as good as mine if it will have the plug in the back for the Satellite Radio. The Nav headunit has a CD/Aux button instead of CD/XM button like on all the other current Hondas with XM. The plug may be there in the back of the unit, maybe not...

Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 AM
This is a "Terk" aftermarket brand XM adaptor & interface cables. All is behind the dash, except maybe the antenna which you have to route somewhere.

Last edited by ProMed; 08-24-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ProMed
The 09 Fit Nav is not a touch panel.

All of the other Honda Nav systems come with XM Satellite, the Fit does not. All of the other 09 Honda Nav systems have bluetooth, the 09 Fit does not.
'09 Fit isn't touchscreen? I thought it was the same as 08 Civic hybrid navigation minus XM. Does that unit not have touchscreen also?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by triton.
'09 Fit isn't touchscreen? I thought it was the same as 08 Civic hybrid navigation minus XM. Does that unit not have touchscreen also?
The 09 Fit isn't a touchscreen and doesn't have bluetooth either. Not sure about the civic, maybe you can check it out with google? I do know the new Accord isn't a touchscreen and the 08 Acura MDX isn't a touchscreen. Maybe I am getting the new Accord and new Fit confused?

Last edited by ProMed; 08-25-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Honda has positioned the Fit as an upscale subcompact, and to bolster that image, an in-dash voice-activated navigation system is now offered on Sport models. This system is essentially the same as the unit that's been offered with the 8th generation Civic, so it too has an in-dash CD player supporting MP3 and Windows Media playback, a compact flash card reader (that also supports MP3 and Windows Media playback), an analog aux-in jack, and a USB interface that is compatible with iPods, iPhones, and USB memory devices. The one feature that didn't quite make the cut was an integrated XM radio receiver.
from: Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - TOV First Drive: 2009 Fit is Win!

The Fit Sport comes standard with an iPod-friendly USB port, along with map lights and a driver armrest. Budget another $1,850 if you want the 2009 Honda Fit Sport Navi. Priced at $18,050 with the manual and $19,430 with the auto, this new high-line model adds a touchscreen navigation system and stability control. It's only expected to account for 10 percent of sales, and says Senior Product Planner Jeff Swedlund, it's aimed at the growing audience of "downsizer customers moving in for the size and weight of the vehicle and the [lessened] environmental impact."

Given the more upscale positioning of the car, I’m surprised about the Fit’s lack of available satellite radio and Bluetooth, although I do like its standard aux-in jack.
from: 2009 Honda Fit - First Drive Review - Dialogue Continued - Car And Driver

this pretty much tells all

Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 AM
My new '09 Fit is spending the first night in the garage. I'm one of those "downsizers" just mentioned, and I had Nav/Sirius/Bluetooth in my last vehicle, so I sprang for it on the Fit as well. It absolutley does have touchscreen, but no satellite and no Bluetooth. I was disappointed, but figured I could find a way around this shortfall. I'm a Sirius guy, so I knew I would be doing some aftermarket work anyway, but I'm now a little afraid I won't be able to find an integrated solution.

My preference is for a solution that will be usable through the Nav system interface, and will display all of the Sirius content lines (channel, Artist, Song, etc) and allow me to use the radio presets and steering wheel controls. Because the Fit doesn't come "XM ready," I'm afraid that I am just dreaming here. There would need to be a firmware change to the Nav computer, and I don't know what button you would use for Satellite, as there isn't one now.

Second choice is to get a Stiletto, and hope that I can use the USB connection to control the radio through the Nav system the way the iPod is integrated (I haven't tried the iPod interface, just heard that it worked well). Issues here are that Honda makes no mention of being able to control a sat radio through the USB, so I might end up with the radio and find incompatibility. The USB connection is also in the upper glove box, so the Stiletto would have trouble using its internal antenna.

The least desirable solution is using the Stiletto, but through the aux input jack. With this, I know I will be fumbling with the Stiletto everytime I switch stations, and I'll get no display on the Nav screen whatsoever. I'm also unsure of how well the Stiletto will do reception-wise being tucked in front of the gear shifter.

Has anyone succeeded in integrating any of these options? Who are the smartest satellite dealers to chat with about this integration? Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ProMed
The 09 Fit isn't a touchscreen and doesn't have bluetooth either. Not sure about the civic, maybe you can check it out with google? I do know the new Accord isn't a touchscreen and the 08 Acura MDX isn't a touchscreen. Maybe I am getting the new Accord and new Fit confused?
Fit nav is a touch screen, you're right about the bluetooth though.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
activate bluetooth

If the navi unit is the same as the Civic it may be possible to activate the bluetooth and satellite functions through code in the software on the navi unit. Does anyone know?
jimtubbs

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jim Tubbs
If the navi unit is the same as the Civic it may be possible to activate the bluetooth and satellite functions through code in the software on the navi unit. Does anyone know?
jimtubbs
Visually looking at the two units, the Civic navi has an XM logo at the top, and has a selection button labeled CD/XM. That button on the Fit is labeled CD/AUX. The navi screen on the Civic also has an XM tab that you can touch-select, but that's obviously just firmware.

Whether you can "unlock" XM and Bluetooth is a good question, but one I can't even begin to answer. Another answer might be to swap navi units with a Civic, but that raises the question of how to find a Civic that has been totaled, or has an owner that doesn't need XM/BT. Good luck with that?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I just spoke with a techie over at Directed Electronics, and he killed a lot of my new-Fit buzz Not having the XM ready Nav unit eliminates the option of using the Sirius interconnect that they sell. According to them, no one makes a Sirius portable that can use the USB/iPod interface to control the unit. That leaves us Sirius/Fit guys with just the regular Aux in to play with, and a jumble of cords and brackets strewn about.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Try TSS.COM If Your A Sirius Fan Like ME BUT:

At this time it "appears" they don't make a compatible conversion kit for that radio HOWEVER I seriously doubt that Honda subs out so many different style radios. In other words even though the Accord, Civic, or whatebver may look different, I would certainly think it possible that they are the same radio, just different front ends. TSS.COM

Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 AM
huge sirius fan. even bigger stern fan.

i just got my fit 2 weeks ago and looking for a sat option. i was going to call crutchfield. these guys are pretty good or j&r.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrHog
I just spoke with a techie over at Directed Electronics, and he killed a lot of my new-Fit buzz Not having the XM ready Nav unit eliminates the option of using the Sirius interconnect that they sell. According to them, no one makes a Sirius portable that can use the USB/iPod interface to control the unit. That leaves us Sirius/Fit guys with just the regular Aux in to play with, and a jumble of cords and brackets strewn about.

...this is what I found out this weekend when I visited my local audio pro shop. Settled on the Starmate 5. Anyone try a cup holder mount? They look pretty cool!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
New guy here; hope you don't mind my butting in. I talked to the Crutchfield people on Monday last and they have no solution for the problem. I went with an Audiovox "Snap" radio which snugs into the Power Connector (cigarette lighter) and to the adjacent "Aux" input jack.
The antenna was the most difficult (read "time-consuming") part of the install and the system works well, coming up on the touch-screen and responding well to sound level control but nothing else that my brief testing today revealed.
At $39.99 for the complete kit including antenna, it's at least a way to stay connected at a reasonable price.
I ran the antenna (I hated to, what with that beautiful antenna sticking up in the rear) from the center of the roof at the windscreen and tucked the tiny wire under the rubber windshield seal, down the A pillar and in the door, under the dash and arrived at the unit with just enough cable to comfortably make the connection and tuck away the small slack.
The "aux" is only a few inches away, so I kept the cable rolled up and just stuffed it up forward of the "cupholders" for a fairly neat installation. Now for an evening spent learning how to program it; I'm not sure that I care for their methods of setting up stations, but time will tell. At least I have my XM back again!