General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How to: Reset Engine Oil Life Display

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Post How to: Reset Engine Oil Life Display

I just thought I would post this for people who don't know how to do it. It is in the Owner's Manual, but pretty sure some people just do internet searchs first.

1)Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2)Press the Gauge Dimmer knob until "Engine Oil Life" is displayed.

3)Press & Hold the Gauge Dimmer knob for 10 seconds. Then the "Engine Oil Life" & "Maintenance" item codes will blink.

4) Press & Hold the Gauge Dimmer knob for another 5 seconds. and the warning light codes will disappear and "Engine Oil Life" gauge will reset to 100%.

Do this only if you performed the needed maintenance for your vehicle.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Any way to switch from 3K to 5K? I use synthetic and Pure One filters. 3K is a complete waste of time and money.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
I figured out how to do because I actually read the owners manual after I bought the car

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
i figured it out the other night just pressing and holding it... lol common sense

changed my oil this weekend

Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I read manuals as well But:

I certainly did not see how to "adjust" mileage. Driving conditions, quality of oil, filter type, synthetic or dino, they all play a part in what you the owner feel is best suited for your car. Hell the amount of miles I rack on my cars I would be under the car more than inside it!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
Any way to switch from 3K to 5K? I use synthetic and Pure One filters. 3K is a complete waste of time and money.
Not sure how but I think the CPU is able to monitor the oil/filter status. I've had my car for almost a year and a half, 20K miles plus. I've only changed the oil 3 times per the maintenance minder. It doesn't come on every 3K miles asking for an oil change. It's more around 6K or so for me. I switched to synthetic on my first oil change so maybe the system is able to automatically adjust for that? Not sure if that's true or not, just what I have experienced...

Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
The system on the Honda cannot tell what type of oil you use.
Its math based only.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Does it make a difference if the % remaining has gone past zero? I now have an increasing negative number, which is flashing, as well as the yellow wrench icon, which is solid. I've tried pressing as directed, even pressed for 30 secs, but no change. The odometer resets do work, so I know it's not a problem with the button itself.

(I was on a road trip, tried to make it back home before changing oil, but finally got tired of the flashing light and worried about engine damage, so I had my oil change at a little country garage, who didn't reset the warning.)

Added: code is still b13, so I'm pretty sure it's still just the oil change.

Last edited by 6gTexan; 01-20-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
All the negative number indicates is that you went *insert the negative number as miles* over the recommended service interval. The "B" indicates that an oil and filter change is recommended as well as inspect the vehicle's brakes, filters, etc, "1" indicates that a tire rotation is recommended, and "3" indicates that a transmission fluid is recommended to be replaced.

Also, when resetting the oil life make sure the key is in the ON position (with the engine off) and not in accessory were only the battery is powering the radio.

Last edited by Hootie; 01-20-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
I change oil @ around 5k-> 7k intervals on my cars and was going to treat the Fit the same way but was convinced otherwise on this forum (KC, you there?). So I thought I'd give it a shot. The Fit is my first "Honda experience". My MM came on @ 15% which was roughly around 7k. I can live with that. I've always thought 3k intervals was a waste of oil and $$. Just me. Some articles have been floating around now (can't remember) about manufacturers/dealerships revising (2nd look) the 3k recommendation (too soon, was the finding).

Back to the MM... The write up on the owner's manual starts on p. 179 ('08 Fit) and a table on the codes can be found on p. 185.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Precise timing on the dimmer button hold

Thanks, Hootie.

Finally got the oil life indicator to reset after many tries; the ten-second hold and the five-second hold are trickily precise, not properly timed with a standard, loose "one-one thousand, two-one thousand..." counting technique.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by noys08fit
I just thought I would post this for people who don't know how to do it. It is in the Owner's Manual, but pretty sure some people just do internet searchs first.

1)Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2)Press the Gauge Dimmer knob until "Engine Oil Life" is displayed.

3)Press & Hold the Gauge Dimmer knob for 10 seconds. Then the "Engine Oil Life" & "Maintenance" item codes will blink.

4) Press & Hold the Gauge Dimmer knob for another 5 seconds. and the warning light codes will disappear and "Engine Oil Life" gauge will reset to 100%.

Do this only if you performed the needed maintenance for your vehicle.
I have had my '09 Honda Fit Sport for 4 days and could not find the instrument panel brightness control until reading your post on resetting the oil reminder. Thanks