General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

having a fit over sales tax

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
having a fit over sales tax

everyone bickers over various add-on charges when buying a car.... but i really get ticked off at the complete rip off of the sales tax.

here in stinking new jersey, if i buy a fit, approximately $1225 goes to the state. how on earth can a state justify stealing $1225 from someone who is simply buying a car? it's disgusting.

this country was founded on a tax revolt.
we need another revolt.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
go ahead and start one, i'll be there

Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Fa1
Same here. I think it might even be worse then NJ

Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Uh oh! Will we see a bunch of Fits being thrown into Boston Harbor in the not-to-distant future?

BTW, If the dullards in America don't wake up and stop electing liberal democrats into office, the situation will only get worse.

They all want "change". Guess what, higher taxes is change, isn't it?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
What really get's under my skin is the fact that in most states, if you buy a used car the state gets to collect sales tax again. So, in theory, if I buy a new Fit, sell it in 2 weeks, and the new buyer sells it in 2 weeks, and the third buyer repeats the pattern (and so on), the state will have a taxable incident multiple times for the same durable good, which I think is ridiculous. Maybe it's time to move to Alaska, Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire or Oregon, where's there's no sales tax.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
That's why I think we should buy the best car money can buy and drive it for as long as we can tolerate. A honda is very reliable so long term use is good. I am going with the navi/vsa because i am not looking to replace it in a year or two when the new vsa standard is put in.

btw if you trade in, you only pay taxes on the differences. however the dealer definitely will take a big bite out of the trade-in value, so you will end up no money saving at all. you do get the convenience of a trade-in though.

i think buying car is primarily to get a good reliable transportation tool. it's not for saving money. the moment you drive it out hte door it's depreciated. you can never win the money war. just get whatever you can afford right now and not lose hair over it.

as far as tax is concerned, a state w/o sales tax must have other tax revenue to compensate. For example, they may have higher property tax. The money has to come from somewhere, or they will have less services.

in terms of revolution, count me in, as long as it's non-violent and not-illegal.

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 09-16-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
My sales tax was almost $1300 that I had to come up with... sucked. I had to sell a lot of toys from my Transformers collection.

But I made out alright... cause now I have a reliable vehicle.

I almost wish I had gotten it as part of the loan...

Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 PM
There's no sales tax in Delaware on most products, but there is on cars. Tax, Title, and 5 year registration cost me about $1,500 (probably around $1,100 just for tax) and I live in and bought the car in Delaware. They get us too.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned
The only ways to prevent having to pay sales tax is to stop buying anything at all, buy only stolen goods for cash, buy only from out-of-state internet vendors, or just steal what you want which brings us back to #1. The states that charge sales tax supposedly need the income to pay for all of the services that are rendered to its citizens (police, fire protection, schools, roads, blah blah), but the states that do not charge sales tax still provide those services to their citizens. Are their politicians geniuses? Magicians? Where does the money come from to pay for the basic services, and the salaries of state employees and the politicians?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, I just paid almost $1300 for my tax, registration and plates. It does suck. Some states have a lower tax for cars - our regular sales tax is 8.25% so our car tax is 6%, but it still is too high. I'd say one time tax of 3% would be fair, and the original owner is the only one who has to pay it. But then I'm not a politician!!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Its d u b m dumb how we get taxed for what we make, then taxed for consumption. Double dipping is only good when we're talking about a personal food item.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Odds are you are in mixed company...please don't offend.

Originally Posted by mdm427
BTW, If the dullards in America don't wake up and stop electing liberal democrats into office, the situation will only get worse.

They all want "change". Guess what, higher taxes is change, isn't it?

Please don't be so quick to assume everyone thinks like you.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
The one thing I like about the state I am in right now is the fact that they don't make military with a different home state pay sales tax. Almost makes me able to stomach the $300 dealership fee.

Now if only that thing would arrive. Less than two weeks till I get my Fit!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Juliane
... I'd say one time tax of 3% would be fair, and the original owner is the only one who has to pay it. But then I'm not a politician!!
Move to South Dakota, that's all that I paid. There's no state income tax either, and the sales tax on other things is around 6%.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:09 AM
The sales tax on my Fit in the Seattle area was $1654 (9.3%) We can run down to Oregon and pick up other high priced items without tax - just not a vehicle!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by somdamon
Please don't be so quick to assume everyone thinks like you.
Oh no, I don't assume that at all. I am well aware that there are people out there who think that it is patriotic to pay higher taxes.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by mdm427
Oh no, I don't assume that at all. I am well aware that there are people out there who think that it is patriotic to pay higher taxes.
I'm taxed enough - $1654 on my new Fit among other things. I don't wanna pay higher taxes

Last edited by SeattleRain; 09-21-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
i probably shouldn't post this here....but i dont mind paying the taxes ;P

Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hey, you wanna pay my taxes for me??? If you don't mind...

Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
Where does the money come from to pay for the basic services, and the salaries of state employees and the politicians?

Again, I can only speak for Delaware. We don't have sales tax because we have good incorporation laws and a high percentage of the Fortune 500 is incorporated here and paying taxes to us, so they cover most of these expenses for the state. I do wish they would funnel more of those funds into the schools though. My girlfriend and I fully plan on moving to PA once we have kids because the only great schools in DE are private schools that cost as much as our university.

Quick Reply: having a fit over sales tax