General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

engine pinging

Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
engine pinging

I just bought a 2009 fit sport and noticed the engine pinging when I accelerated to get on the freeway. Anyone else have this problem? What does it mean?
Kay

Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know if I would call it pinging but I have recently got some bad gas and have had a rattling noise come from the motor when I give it the gas. I have a 09 Fit sport. It goes in to the dealer on Monday. I hope you get things figured out.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by kay2009
I just bought a 2009 fit sport and noticed the engine pinging when I accelerated to get on the freeway. Anyone else have this problem? What does it mean?
Kay
Pinging is a sign of "detonation" which means the vaporized gas in the outer parts of the cylinder ("outer gasses") are self-combusting. Raise the octane, or shift to a lower gear (reducing the time available for those end gasses to heat up) and ping should go away.

Enough pinging and you can damage your pistons. Once or twice, probably not.

I have on '09 and haven't heard any abnormal combustion.

You prolly got some bad fuel.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 AM
The gas was the gas the dealer filled my tank with when I purchased it. I filled it today with 89 octane (first tank of gas since the dealer filled) and I heard it again when I got back on the freeway to go home. It's an automatic so I'm not doing any shifting of gears. I guess if it continues I better take it in. Bummer.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM
The gas was the gas the dealer filled my tank with when I purchased it. I filled it today with 89 octane (first tank of gas since the dealer filled) and I heard it again when I got back on the freeway to go home. It's an automatic so I'm not doing any shifting of gears. I guess if it continues I better take it in. Bummer.
Well, you could use the left paddle to grab a lower gear.

My AT runs perfectly, sound like yours has an "issue".

Also possible it's not pinging at all, but some sort of mechanical rattle. Lets' hope so - that would be easier to fix!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Kay

You could have bad gas or the timing may be advanced too far by some errant tech. Put a can or two of injector cleaner in your gas tank and have your dealer inspect the timing. Soon.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 AM
i too get the rattling. approx 25mph and 35. when the gears are changing.

it sounds like chains dragging.

it's wierd. i thought about filling up with 89 to see how it goes. are you going to bring the fit into the dealer?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by barams
i too get the rattling. approx 25mph and 35. when the gears are changing.

it sounds like chains dragging.

it's wierd. i thought about filling up with 89 to see how it goes. are you going to bring the fit into the dealer?

Yours sounds more like synchmeshing difficulties. It is manual trans and the noise occurs when shifting gears, right? If thats the case yours is probably synchromeshing due to your either not fully disengaging clutch or interefence in the synchromeshing engagement of the gears themselves. Happen in more than shifting first to second (25 mph) and second to third (35 mph)?
Overwhelming most of the time the problem is rushing the shift and partially defeating the synchomesh yield that 'dragging chain links' sound..

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
i have a 2005 jazz 1.5 i-DSI manual thai spec

i've been through this problem for a year.. from end of 2009 till end of 2010.. it's pinging whenever i need to accelerate.. but luckily i found some money n do a top overhaul (i've done 140.000km back then) after i did that.. all the pinging and other problem solved.. and the pinging did not destroy my piston even a bit.. because (i think) the carbon deposit on my piston is soo thick.. so it not reach the piston surface..

but the weird thing is.. now just only after 6 months after the top overhaul (151.000km now) the pinging strikes back.. i heard it when i cruise in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM it starts to pinging till 3500-4000 RPM, but then it's gone if i change gear or release the pedal and accelerate a bit more then before.. it happend when i hold the pedal at that rpm and need to accelerate..

anybody knows why ???

Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazz_Pinkz
i have a 2005 jazz 1.5 i-DSI manual thai spec

i've been through this problem for a year.. from end of 2009 till end of 2010.. it's pinging whenever i need to accelerate.. but luckily i found some money n do a top overhaul (i've done 140.000km back then) after i did that.. all the pinging and other problem solved.. and the pinging did not destroy my piston even a bit.. because (i think) the carbon deposit on my piston is soo thick.. so it not reach the piston surface..

but the weird thing is.. now just only after 6 months after the top overhaul (151.000km now) the pinging strikes back.. i heard it when i cruise in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM it starts to pinging till 3500-4000 RPM, but then it's gone if i change gear or release the pedal and accelerate a bit more then before.. it happend when i hold the pedal at that rpm and need to accelerate..

anybody knows why ???

Pinging, or knocking, is usually the result of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber or too much timing advance. Since you mentioned that your carbon buildup was great on the piston you should see if the gasoline you are using is causing the buildup. As it seems you began to hear pinging after many thousand kilometers it could be your gasoline could be the culprit by increasing the carbon content with higher components or by reducing the anti-knock additives. Then there is the possibility that your timing has been advanced too much, especially if the gas is a lower grade of octane which seems to be prevaling in thailand.
So check the octane rating and your timing as a start. Maybe all you need is to change gas sources.
And pinging can alsoi damage valves too. Hopefully when you did the top end you repolaced and reseated the valves too.
Lean combustion also causes pinging so you need to clean your injectors as well.
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 02-22-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Pinging, or knocking, is usually the result of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber or too much timing advance. Since you mentioned that your carbon buildup was great on the piston you should see if the gasoline you are using is causing the buildup. As it seems you began to hear pinging after many thousand kilometers it could be your gasoline could be the culprit by increasing the carbon content with higher components or by reducing the anti-knock additives. Then there is the possibility that your timing has been advanced too much, especially if the gas is a lower grade of octane which seems to be prevaling in thailand.
So check the octane rating and your timing as a start. Maybe all you need is to change gas sources.
And pinging can alsoi damage valves too. Hopefully when you did the top end you repolaced and reseated the valves too.
Lean combustion also causes pinging so you need to clean your injectors as well.
good luck.
i use RON92 gasoline after top overhaul, and using RON88 through out before i've done the top overhaul.. and yes, i reseated the valve.. (because i've done a porting and polish too )..

but how to adjust the ignition timing for the i-DSI GD3 ? do you know how ?? because it does have a distributor right ?? hahaha...

thank you so much.. so now i know where to start..

by the way.. i haven't change my fuel filter since new.. is that can be a culprit for lean combustion too ??

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
My engine has made some awful sounds when revving recently, that so far, I'm attributing to a heat shield rattle, cause that's exactly what it sounds like. I hope I'm right. Happened twice now over the past two months.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
i use RON92 gasoline after top overhaul, and using RON88 through out before i've done the top overhaul.. and yes, i reseated the valve.. (because i've done a porting and polish too )..

but how to adjust the ignition timing for the i-DSI GD3 ? do you know how ?? because it does have a distributor right ?? hahaha...

thank you so much.. so now i know where to start..

by the way.. i haven't change my fuel filter since new.. is that can be a culprit for lean combustion too ??

Fit timing must be adjusted by Honda dealer; procedure to check and adjust is on page 4-20 of my manual. To check the timing requires the usual timing light but if its out requires the Honda system to 'update'.And yes the filter can lean out the gasoline especially if the gas is 'dirty' and naturally dirty gas also results in carbon deposits.

Last edited by mahout; 02-23-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Fit timing must be adjusted by Honda dealer; procedure to check and adjust is on page 4-20 of my manual. To check the timing requires the usual timing light but if its out requires the Honda system to 'update'.And yes the filter can lean out the gasoline especially if the gas is 'dirty' and naturally dirty gas also results in carbon deposits.
Ok, Thanks.. i'll definetly replace my fuel filter first.. because i think it can effecting the fuel pump too.. i hope it's not to late..

thanks for your explaination.. ^^

Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, Thanks.. i'll definetly replace my fuel filter first.. because i think it can effecting the fuel pump too.. i hope it's not to late..

thanks for your explaination.. ^^

Let me add that a good dose of injector cleaner, preferrably non-alcohol types, is advised as well. Maybe a couple of tanks worth.
Again, good luck.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Let me add that a good dose of injector cleaner, preferrably non-alcohol types, is advised as well. Maybe a couple of tanks worth.
Again, good luck.
already sent.. hehe, by the way for injectors i've done an ultrasonic cleaning for it.. because i thought that's the problem.. ^^

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
mahout do you have any concerns with injector cleaners and the injectors used in the Fit? I've heard of issues with some types of injectors, not even sure what my 2010 uses.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
My engine has made some awful sounds when revving recently, that so far, I'm attributing to a heat shield rattle, cause that's exactly what it sounds like. I hope I'm right. Happened twice now over the past two months.
I had the same problem as Hayden and it was the exhaust heat shield attached to the header.. It would do it while accelerating at a certain RPM and the gas pedal down.. Lifting off of the throttle or getting above the RPM range that the rattling occurred at and it stopped... Just like ignition ping in every way.. adding a little torque to the mounting bolts will fix it if that is your problem... You would have had to gotten some really bad fuel if the engine control unit can't cut back ignition timing advance enough to prevent ping, if that is what it is.. I've done some wild stuff to my 2006 model and have never heard it ping.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
already sent.. hehe, by the way for injectors i've done an ultrasonic cleaning for it.. because i thought that's the problem.. ^^

I have little faith in 'ultrasonic' cleaners. The chemical cleanout is best by far.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
mahout do you have any concerns with injector cleaners and the injectors used in the Fit? I've heard of issues with some types of injectors, not even sure what my 2010 uses.

The problem we have observed is with alcohol laced cleaners. Had some gasket deterioration, otherwise, not seen any problems with non-alcohol cleaners including the inexpensive wallyworld stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine pinging