General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I feel bad for California car owners--Front License plates

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I feel bad for California car owners--Front License plates

That would suck to have to drill holes into your bumper and ruin your car to secure a front license plate--what a STUPID law.

Can't the people of California do something to repeal this law? It basically forces folks to disfigure their cars.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
same thing in connecticut....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Same in South Dakota. I think you can get away with putting it in your windshield, but you know you're going to be pulled over for it at some point.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind having my front plate on. It's whatevers.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Texas Has the same law, although when I lived in Austin I ran w/o the front, and was never called on it. Probably only matters if you are stopped for some other infraction.

I wonder if industrial strength double-sided tape would hold the front plate bracket on?

Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
HID Addict
I know someone that got pulled voer for not havin a front license plate (not in this state) and the cop went n got duct tape from his car n told the driver "get to taping" he literally taped the front lisnse plate to the front bumper and off he went. would leave a bad mark when your takin it off tho =\ and of course you would have to check every now n then for loose taping

Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm in California and don't have my front plate on. There were no holes drilled so it looks real clean. I'm am getting tired of "but officer, someone ripped it off my car one night!" haha

Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
You don't have to drill holes to add a front plate o_O I'm pretty sure each car comes with the front license plate bracket hardware needed to add the front plate.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM
HID Addict
its actually mounts, when i moved to PA from jersey (jersey needs front plates, PA doesnt), i questioned myself how to take the plate off, then i figured, its actually a hook that goes through the lower grill (or w/e thats called) and under the lip, at least this was for the Honda Pilot. call Honda or sumthin and ask for a front license plate mount/bracket, they should know what your talkin about

Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
ya...you aren't being forced to "disfigure" your car...the Fit, along with many cars have available brackets which will cleanly mount your plate to your front bumper.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Is that picture of your Fit show your plate mounted with the bracket (no drilled holes?)

Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
maryland has the same law. if youre lucky you can get the plates BEFORE they put them on the car and just keep it in your front window, or somewhere in the area. i plan on buying a new front bumper and putting mine in the window when i have a couple hundred burnin a whole in my pocket...

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Here in Georgia you don't need a front license plate yet the dealer put one in w/ their name and phone number on it anyway. It's like I am forced to advertise for them. I am now looking for custom plates to replace that dealer ad thing. they already have their name on the rear license plate frame. maybe i should just go ahead and tell them i will stick their name all over my car in exchange for a free car.

The only thing good about a front license plate is that since i cannot see the nose when I park in tight spaces it somehow protects my front bumper from getting scratched (i assume).

BTW, can I remove the front license plate though w/o makign the front looking bad? will it leaving 2 holes on the bumper? Is there anyway to cover it up?

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 10-16-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
it depends how your dealer mounts it... it is not requiered to drill holes, however, my dealer did so to keep it from rattleing... w/e wen im not poor ill fix the damn thing

Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
it depends how your dealer mounts it... it is not requiered to drill holes, however, my dealer did so to keep it from rattleing... w/e wen im not poor ill fix the damn thing
yeah depends on how far they drilled the screws. 2 of my front 4 screws are in my bumper, 2 arent.

i took the dealership frame off my rear bumper. looks pretty clean. front is so ewwww tho haha.take a few screws off and see if they are in your bumper. if they arent then take it off, if they are...leave it or get a new bumper ;/

Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
Here in Georgia you don't need a front license plate yet the dealer put one in w/ their name and phone number on it anyway. It's like I am forced to advertise for them. I am now looking for custom plates to replace that dealer ad thing. they already have their name on the rear license plate frame. maybe i should just go ahead and tell them i will stick their name all over my car in exchange for a free car.

The only thing good about a front license plate is that since i cannot see the nose when I park in tight spaces it somehow protects my front bumper from getting scratched (i assume).

BTW, can I remove the front license plate though w/o makign the front looking bad? will it leaving 2 holes on the bumper? Is there anyway to cover it up?
im assuming that you are saying that the "ad" is on the frame and not on the plate itself. that can be removed and i dont belive there is a law for that (removing the frame), i got 2 cars from honda and both came with frames that showed the name of the dealer place that i bought from (ex: route 46 auto mall ...etc), took those off, never pulled over for that. but thats in jersey n PA, not sure about georgia

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
My car looks stock but has illegal written all over it. No front plate, front window tint, and HID's. If I got pulled over at night I could get a fix-it for all three, but luckily I've been okay so far. I hated the front bracket from the dealer.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yea when i lived in San Diego the cops never cared if i had one or not. The MPs on base were little punks about it though

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
Is that picture of your Fit show your plate mounted with the bracket (no drilled holes?)
No...it's the Password:JDM Front license plate relocator. I had to drill 2 holes.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Ouch!

Isn't there some way for citizens to repeal these laws. I mean the government is supposed to represent us!

Quick Reply: I feel bad for California car owners--Front License plates