General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Some new interesting EPA & MPG info

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Some new interesting EPA & MPG info

I listened to an interview this monring on NPR about the EPA changing the way they calculate the MPG for vehicles starting for all 2008 models.

----

Currently:
Cars are tested and estimated for 70-75 degree, clear weather at 60 mph on the freeway with a "mix" of light city driving. But, as we all know, that next to never happens.

Future:
They will test the cars in various weather conditions, including extreme colds and hots, and at higher speeds closer to actual driving conditions.

What this means:
The EPA is currently reporting that:
Cars MPG are actually about 10% lower than what's on the window
SUV's and Trucks's MPG are 15+% lower
Hybrids (yes, even Hybrids) are 30% lower!!! <--- WOW

----

So, we look at an example:

Civic: Suppose to be upwards of 40 MPG but really is closer to 36

Toyota Prius: Claims 51 (HWY), but is closer to 36.

I've heard this argument a few months back too. A car manufactored was quoted as saying that the current hybrid Prius and a limited few others are really only averaging 2-3 mpg more than a Civic or Corolla could get. He went on to say that people that buy a hybrid should really only do it for the environment and not for saving costs anf fuel.

Just though I'd share.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

I can just see EPA offering as many as nine mileage numbers starting in the 2008 model year.
It would probably go like this:

1. Urban driving (25 mph max with lots of stop and go operations).
2. Suburban driving (45 mph max with occasional stop and go operations).
3. Freeway driving (65 mph max with no stop and go operations).

Each test will be done at 0 °C. to simulate winter driving conditions, 20 °C. to simulate spring and fall conditions, and 35 °C. to simulate summer driving conditions. The winter test will also include extensive operation of the heater, the spring and fall test will include some operation of the heater and air conditioner, and the summer test will include extensive operation of the air conditioner.

These tests would probably be the most realistic fuel efficiency tests done by any government agency in the world if they do it this way.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Cannon
I listened to an interview this monring on NPR about the EPA changing the way they calculate the MPG for vehicles starting for all 2008 models.

----

Currently:
Cars are tested and estimated for 70-75 degree, clear weather at 60 mph on the freeway with a "mix" of light city driving. But, as we all know, that next to never happens.

Future:
They will test the cars in various weather conditions, including extreme colds and hots, and at higher speeds closer to actual driving conditions.

What this means:
The EPA is currently reporting that:
Cars MPG are actually about 10% lower than what's on the window
SUV's and Trucks's MPG are 15+% lower
Hybrids (yes, even Hybrids) are 30% lower!!! <--- WOW

----

So, we look at an example:

Civic: Suppose to be upwards of 40 MPG but really is closer to 36

Toyota Prius: Claims 51 (HWY), but is closer to 36.

I've heard this argument a few months back too. A car manufactored was quoted as saying that the current hybrid Prius and a limited few others are really only averaging 2-3 mpg more than a Civic or Corolla could get. He went on to say that people that buy a hybrid should really only do it for the environment and not for saving costs anf fuel.

Just though I'd share.
Thanks for sharing the info. I did hear reports from a while back about consumers that buy hybrids to not expect to save money but rather do it for the environment.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Real world

The epa estimated my 2005 civic ex at 31/38.....Realworld combo i get 36 average....but all highway at 85mph on trips in the fall or spring (i.e. no AC) i have gotten 40-41mpg. The truth is that its really how you drive, not the epa estimates. Look at those guys who follow the "economical meter" on their honda insight, they report 75mpg or more, as apposed to the average american who hits the gas 200% at the light and doesnt start braking until the stoplight is 7 feet away.....most of them drive chevy tahoes fyi, must suck to fill them babies up.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM
It is true it is highly dependant on how you drive.

Additionally though I don't buy that hybrids are that inflated in their economy numbers, at least for the prius. The reason I say this is that I drove a Prius for a 2 week stretch during one of my business trips in the pacific west and I would get around 55-60 mpg. I felt it was great and really lived up to its designed purpose. And that was with mixed driving and spinning the tires off the line and racing other cars now and again. (not to say I would leave black strips off the line but still they would squeak)

Also I was under the understaning that EPA testing took place primarly in an indoor lab setting much similar to a dyno chasis. The car just rolling the miles away while going nowhere. But I have not researched the EPA's modes of operation much so I can not substantiate that in any way.

But back to my point about the hybrids or the Prius specifically, I dont think I could have gotten 36 mpg if I tried, it was just so easy to get 50 mpg without thinking. IMO a really good car for the type.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Here is real world epa testing by 4 guys

Yeah, the prius has some impressive numbers. I dont get these people who get 35mpg in them, they must drive like my fiancee, ALL GAS.... no coasting, brake hard.

Here is a great link about 4 guys who got 110mpg in a prius over 1397 miles on a test trip. Basically they drove the same strech over pretty flat road between 30-40mph until the prius ran out of gas. Now....if this is how most of you think the epa estimates their mileage (which they dont, they do a simulated city, country, and highway drive for 40-50 miles)...then make sure to post an "un-photoshopped" window sticker from a 110mpg prius next time you see one.

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/100mpgrecord.htm