General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My GE08 Gripe List

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
My GE08 Gripe List

While I've got some gripes, overall, my Fit is one terrific car. That said, there's always room for improvments. Owned it less than 1 month, here goes.
  1. Sun visors need extendable tab. Windshield shading doesn't even come close. Anyone wiith a solution for this, please reply, this is a killer here in Arizona.
  2. Exterior temperature in the info display
  3. Dash buzzes - seems like a very common problem, Honda needs to fix this at the factory, unfair for dealers to have to solve these problems
  4. Paddle shift operation - need simple method to revert to automatic mode in "S" without having to toggle the lever to "D" and back - my suggestion is to revert to automatic mode when both paddles are purlled simultaneously.
  5. Paddle shift operation - automatic upshift to next gear at 50 revs below redline when in manual mode, instead of just slamming into the rev limiter. Make it like Porsche's Tiptronic in this respect.
  6. Door unlocking - include process in owners manual to make all the doors unlock when shifting into "P". Glad that people on Fitfreak had documented this, but it should be in the manual.
  7. Slightly slower steering ratio - I own and have driven many cars with "fast" steering, but the Fit is too fast, IMO, when cruising at 75 to 80 mph. Variable ratio assist? I don't know if the Fit has it, but if so, it needs to be reprofiled. If not, slow the whole ratio.
  8. Leather option - cloth is fine, but having the option would sure be nice, and I'd have paid for it.
  9. 30% stronger A/C - or at least give us something better here in the desert southwest. I didn't have it yet when the summer was blazing, but I can tell it's going to struggle when temps here top 105 deg. F. It's got a huge interior volume, but an A/C sized for a car about 1/2 the size.
  10. Front deflector accessory or 3M hood protectant film - with the kind of steep hood angle the Fit has, it's going to get pummelled here in AZ. I'm going to get 3M film before it's wasted, but a deflector would serve as well.
  11. Rear accessory power (12V) plug - just nice to have for camping, running car coolers, etc.
Thanks, Honda, it's a great car.

Last edited by pbanders; 11-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pbanders
While I've got some gripes, overall, my Fit is one terrific car. That said, there's always room for improvments. Owned it less than 1 month, here goes.
  1. Sun visors need extendable tab. Windshield shading doesn't even come close. Anyone wiith a solution for this, please reply, this is a killer here in Arizona.
  3. Dash buzzes - seems like a very common problem, Honda needs to fix this at the factory, unfair for dealers to have to solve these problems
  4. Paddle shift operation - need simple method to revert to automatic mode in "S" without having to toggle the lever to "D" and back - my suggestion is to revert to automatic mode when both paddles are purlled simultaneously.
  5. Paddle shift operation - automatic upshift to next gear at 50 revs below redline when in manual mode, instead of just slamming into the rev limiter. Make it like Porsche's Tiptronic in this respect.
  6. Door unlocking - include process in owners manual to make all the doors unlock when shifting into "P". Glad that people on Fitfreak had documented this, but it should be in the manual.
  7. Slightly slower steering ratio - I own and have driven many cars with "fast" steering, but the Fit is too fast, IMO, when cruising at 75 to 80 mph. Variable ratio assist? I don't know if the Fit has it, but if so, it needs to be reprofiled. If not, slow the whole ratio.
  8. Leather option - cloth is fine, but having the option would sure be nice, and I'd have paid for it.
  9. 30% stronger A/C - or at least give us something better here in the desert southwest. I didn't have it yet when the summer was blazing, but I can tell it's going to struggle when temps here top 105 deg. F. It's got a huge interior volume, but an A/C sized for a car about 1/2 the size.
  10. Front deflector accessory or 3M hood protectant film - with the kind of steep hood angle the Fit has, it's going to get pummelled here in AZ. I'm going to get 3M film before it's wasted, but a deflector would serve as well.
  11. Rear accessory power (12V) plug - just nice to have for camping, running car coolers, etc.
Yo, pbanders,

Hood deflector review and pics coming up, but don't wait for me. Call Zeta Products (site vendor/sponsor) and order one today. I just installed mine. Buy the visor extender from AutoSportCatalog.com - Products For Everyone Who Drives! 800-953-0814. Works great, not expensive. The steering is marginally slower than the GD3s, but still acceptable to me. Paddle shifters and general AT functions are all a little slower than GD3s, but I can't agree on your other trans. gripes. The only other gripe I agree with is the need for rear 12 volt power outlet. That does not mean you are wrong with the rest, I just don't live in the furnace that you do. Here we have fog in the summer (not Salt River humidity at 110 degrees) and we live under 200 foot Redwood trees, not Sajuaro cactus. All Arizonans are crazy.

Seriously, follow the first two suggestions, and you can live with the rest.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 PM
manxman, thanks for the link, gotta get those extenders. I'll also check out the hood protectors. Roads here are ridiculous, tons of dust and debris, no laws on covering of loads, etc.

I think the paddles are faster than my Porsche's Tip! Having it shift at redline in manual mode is a lot better than banging on the limited by mistake, and I just think if you can go from auto to manual in "S", you ought to be able to go back without shifting to "D"!

Hey, I lived in those redwoods for 15 years, it's awesome, but the prices and the ever-growing crowds chased me to the desert!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
  1. Sun visors need extendable tab. Windshield shading doesn't even come close. Anyone wiith a solution for this, please reply, this is a killer here in Arizona. [Get sunglasses and/or tint]
  2. Exterior temperature in the info display [what about it?]
  3. Dash buzzes - seems like a very common problem, Honda needs to fix this at the factory, unfair for dealers to have to solve these problems [ok, this is reasonable]
  4. Paddle shift operation - need simple method to revert to automatic mode in "S" without having to toggle the lever to "D" and back - my suggestion is to revert to automatic mode when both paddles are purlled simultaneously. [Remember, this is Honda's base car]
  5. Paddle shift operation - automatic upshift to next gear at 50 revs below redline when in manual mode, instead of just slamming into the rev limiter. Make it like Porsche's Tiptronic in this respect. [Honda ≠ Porsche]
  6. Door unlocking - include process in owners manual to make all the doors unlock when shifting into "P". Glad that people on Fitfreak had documented this, but it should be in the manual. [reasonable]
  7. Slightly slower steering ratio - I own and have driven many cars with "fast" steering, but the Fit is too fast, IMO, when cruising at 75 to 80 mph. Variable ratio assist? I don't know if the Fit has it, but if so, it needs to be reprofiled. If not, slow the whole ratio. [personal gripe, but reasonable]
  8. Leather option - cloth is fine, but having the option would sure be nice, and I'd have paid for it. [Again, the Fit is a base car. You can go aftermarket though. There are a few people here that have gotten leather interior. Running price seems to be about $1,200 or so. Seems silly for such a cheap car, though]
  9. 30% stronger A/C - or at least give us something better here in the desert southwest. I didn't have it yet when the summer was blazing, but I can tell it's going to struggle when temps here top 105 deg. F. It's got a huge interior volume, but an A/C sized for a car about 1/2 the size. [I agree =) ]
  10. Front deflector accessory or 3M hood protectant film - with the kind of steep hood angle the Fit has, it's going to get pummelled here in AZ. I'm going to get 3M film before it's wasted, but a deflector would serve as well. [This is a gripe?]
  11. Rear accessory power (12V) plug - just nice to have for camping, running car coolers, etc. [Autozone, et al., have 12VDC extensions, I believe]
That is all =]

Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned
Check this one off your list and buy it while it's on sale- just a strong, friendly suggestion--------

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post494023

Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Got sunglasses, got tint, thanks. Even have a hat with a brim. Here in Phoenix they like to make the roads in a grid aligned to the compass points (i.e. 50% are aligned E/W with the sun in morn/eve), the terrain's flat, and the skies are usually clear. It adds up to blinding sun. Many others in the west have similar issues. The Fit has a huge gap between the visors, and the OEM tint on the window is wimpy. I've found aftermarket solutions, but it's not an issue on any of our other cars. It's the kind of detail that Honda's usually got covered.

Having the auto upshift at redline in manual mode in "S" as opposed to banging the rev limited would be a software update to the ECU, fairly cheap and would possibly avoid some engine issues.

All minor complaints, the car is great. With higher gas prices, I was paying over $50 to fill up my M3 after commuting and going around 275 miles at the time of fill-up. With today's lower gas prices, and the better mileage of the Fit, I paid less than $20 yesterday for the same 275 miles.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
Check this one off your list and buy it while it's on sale- just a strong, friendly suggestion--------

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post494023
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.