General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

USA Fit Pricing! $14000 for Base/ $16000 for Sport? Say it ain't so!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
USA Fit Pricing! $14000 for Base/ $16000 for Sport? Say it ain't so!

I just talked to my dealer he said that the price for the base Fit will be approximately $14k for the base and $16k for the S. This guy sold my S2000 late last year; he was very honest, reputable, and knowledgable. I tend to believe him. If he is right, then the pricing will suck. I might have to go with a base Yaris Liftback with ABS for $11250 MSRP. I just need an everyday car for carrying my dogs around and go to work, and enjoy my convertible on the weekends.

I really want a Honda though. $14k is just too much.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Exclamation

Again Honda themselves refers to NA Fit has their "premium" vehicle in the sub -compact category.
Try loading up the stripped to the gills Yaris to even base Fit levels of equipment and get back to us on the price...

Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, the Yaris can be decked out to reach base Fit pricing; however, Honda is will lose sales to people who are looking for basic transportation, but cannot afford or fathom paying for a $14+ for a subcompact. I could swing the $14K but I already have a car with all the extras...I don't need another one.

Honda should have the following: have a DX for under $12k, an LX for $14k, and a S for $16k. This would cover all the demographics needs and wants.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by tifosi360
Yes, the Yaris can be decked out to reach base Fit pricing; however, Honda is will lose sales to people who are looking for basic transportation, but cannot afford or fathom paying for a $14+ for a subcompact. I could swing the $14K but I already have a car with all the extras...I don't need another one.

Honda should have the following: have a DX for under $12k, an LX for $14k, and a S for $16k. This would cover all the demographics needs and wants.
Fit Sport - $16K - 33/38 city/highway MPG, 109 HP

Civic LX 2-door Coupe - $16,310 - 30/38 city/highway MPG (MT), 140 HP, Motor Trend 2006 COTY, NAIAS 2006 COTY

Civic LX 4-door Sedan - $16,510 - 30/38 city/highway MPG (MT), 140 HP, Motor Trend 2006 COTY, NAIAS 2006 COTY

Called local Honda dealership moments ago. Quoted:

base price - $13K
sport price - $14,500

$16K for a sport probably not accurate information. If so, Civic is a no-brainer.

Last edited by JazzFusion; 02-02-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I would agree those prices don't make sense according to what has been said officially. And you just cant sell a Fit for the price of a Civic. It defeats the purpose of bringing a new entry level car to the market as the Civic moves "upmarket".

Beware the dealer Dude.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe the $16k is for a loaded to the hilt, every dealer + factory option installed price?
Or the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about?

Old 02-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I am guessing here...

I don't have the facts but allow me to do some guessing here..
Doesn't the loaded Civic (whatever trim) outprice the base Accord? I don't know if this is a fact but I am guessing that it might be the case.

So how is it different that fully loaded Fit would have similar pricing has base Civic? And there is a base Fit which is priced lower (relatively speaking). Honda might lose volume but maybe they will make more profit in the process? Just a thought.

And Fit in some ways are more practical because of its shape, IMO. So maybe it's a different car/segment from Civic and deserves a separate pricing (independent from how Civic was priced). From the spec, it should be cheaper than Civic and it IS cheaper. Question is how much? That is left open to debate.

Originally Posted by Andrew
I would agree those prices don't make sense according to what has been said officially. And you just cant sell a Fit for the price of a Civic. It defeats the purpose of bringing a new entry level car to the market as the Civic moves "upmarket".

Beware the dealer Dude.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tifosi360

First off, Honda has the Safety for Everyone campaign, which mandates front, side, and side curtain airbags for all vehicle trim levels. That alone is usually a 500-700 dollar option for most vehicles in the subcompact class. Add in ABS, which is another mandate of Honda's Safety campagin, which is another few hundred for that too.

I applaud Honda for doing this. While some dont like the upfront cost "forced" on the consumer, they will appreciate the benefits of such safety features in the event of a collision.

Second, a "low price" Yaris doesnt come standardly equipped with power windows, power locks, power mirrors, a radio, a rear wiper+defroster, or even a 60/40 split rear seat. How many buyers actually want a stripper vehicle like this nowadays? A significant minority, I would believe. Toyota probably wont even make that many stripped Yari available for the consumer anyways...

Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
mav
Honda dealers haven't received official pricing yet. Usually the dealers will find out at the same time when we all do, and that won't be until April. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

BTW since you own an S2000, you should know that Honda dealers don't know anything, even about their own products.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Honda dealers haven't received official pricing yet. Usually the dealers will find out at the same time when we all do, and that won't be until April. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

BTW since you own an S2000, you should know that Honda dealers don't know anything, even about their own products.
Often times while shopping on a Honda lot I know more about their cars than they do.

Makes no sense. Salesman are there strictly for money. Honda makes great cars, but one must make it past the feeble flanks of ill informed carnivorous salespeople.

Last edited by JazzFusion; 02-02-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
dealers always quote high anyway. get burned by an idiot screeming "you
said it was $5 enough times and you do that.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
That's pretty damn cheap. $16k for a Sport model, man I'd of got my mum to snap that up ages ago.

Here in UK, costs ~$14,200 for a 1.2litre engined Jazz. Think about it :P

Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by kentris
That's pretty damn cheap. $16k for a Sport model, man I'd of got my mum to snap that up ages ago.

Here in UK, costs ~$14,200 for a 1.2litre engined Jazz. Think about it :P
Wages in the UK are commensurate with cost of living, and UK auto prices reflect the cost of living and value of the pound. Inaccurate comparison.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 PM
It's good enough

CoL or not, the price should be in the ballpark. It's not like the price difference is huge for the same car (w/ the same spec) in different countries. So it's a reasonable comparison, IMO.

Also,
From Honda Fit Page:
"a super-friendly base model starting price of between $13,000 and $14,000. "

I don't know why anyone is throwing fits (no pun intended) over $14,000 if it is indeed the price. What if Yaris is cheaper? And supposedly it is not cheaper if same features are compared. I think it is a reasonable price and I will consider buying one if the car turns out to be what I am expecting.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by JazzFusion
Wages in the UK are commensurate with cost of living, and UK auto prices reflect the cost of living and value of the pound. Inaccurate comparison.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
my dealer said pricing is not being released until April 1st and that was from the owner which is family friend and I do the modding for customers there

Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 AM
People, let's quit guessing on the price. Nobody knows for sure and anyone who says they have an "inside track" or "proprietary information" is a liar. Price info HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED TO ANYONE. If it was, we would have figures from various sources that are an exact match. So far, I have not seen any figures from someone who is supposedly "in the loop" match anyone else's figures. So how about we quit driving ourselves nuts about the pricing and just wait until the thing shows up at the dealer, and official accurate info is released.

You can count on it being significantly cheaper than the Civic. Honda would be stupid to price the Fit the same as the Civic, and I am certain that is not going to be the case. Why in the world would Honda price a subcompact the same as the Civic? That makes absolutely no sense, all you have to do is think for 2 seconds to conclude that that would be suicide for the Fit. Do you think Honda wants to kill its sales of a brand new model? Really, people, this is very unlikely.

Let's all just CHILL. Okay? Nothing we can do now but wait until April.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Civic is actually cheaper than than the Jazz in Australia. Civic is classified in the small car segment and the Jazz in the light segment.

VFACT sales figures for Dec '05
Jazz 519
Civic 358

2004 total sales figures
Jazz 7360
Civic 4324

Must be bore in mind that the new model Civic is due for release shortly here and hence the old model is end of life. However the Jazz is not new being available since 2002.

The Toyota Corolla outsells the Civic 10 to 1 and the Yaris outsells the Jazz 3 to 1.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Consider yourself very lucky you don't have to pay uk prices. I have just purchased a 1.4 high line jazz which tops out at at least £11800, some $20000 bucks.
Then of course you have to fill them up at over $7 a gallon for unleaded fuel.
$15000 for a sport variant, bargain.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey Rick i'm just wondering, what do you wind up spending for gas a week?
i imagine most Englanders dont drive as far as us in the U.S.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Re: Mongo

I dont know what the average mileage per week is in the US, but normally when you refer to a car's average mileage per year, it's quoted as being 10 - 12,000 a year.

I do nearer 20,000 whereas my dad does nearer 8,000 so everyone is different. SO for me, In my current car i spend roughly £40 / $70 a week in fuel

I'm just about to put my deposit down on a £11,050 1.4SE Jazz which $19,502. Fuel is $7 a gallon.

I know you cant use the two figures as a subjective comparison as our two wage structures and taxation is completly different.. but $14,000 dont see half bad! hehe

Quick Reply: USA Fit Pricing! $14000 for Base/ $16000 for Sport? Say it ain't so!