General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit - Next on Top 10 Stolen List?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The US National Insurance Crime Bureau top ten list for 2005 is:
  1. 1991 Honda Accord
  2. 1995 Honda Civic
  3. 1989 Toyota Camry
  4. 1994 Dodge Caravan
  5. 1994 Nissan Sentra
  6. 1997 Ford F150 Series
  7. 1990 Acura Integra
  8. 1986 Toyota Pickup
  9. 1993 Saturn SL
  10. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup
With the possible exception of #10, they all predate ignition immobilizers. Note the newest Honda on the list was ten years old.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
i've become more worried about this in the past week as well, as i went to my fit after work, and saw that someone had been messing with the tow hook part on the front bumper. the cover was literally hanging and there were fingerprints all over the area. so that was not fun.

i called the security dept. of the place i work, and they said they were going to have cameras installed in the parking lot soon. don't know if cameras will do much good, but until they get them i'm parking directly in front of my building.

i do have good insurance though, and try not to keep anything of value in the car, since i don't have the cargo cover and it's pretty easy to see in. i guess that's about all i can do for now.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Wow, 1994 Nissan Sentra is on that list?! Thats my beater car! wow..

Old 04-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Well isn't there some kind of microchip inside the key that the engine requires in order for the car to start? So no hot-wiring then. I guess the thieves could tow it away though.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:55 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by diversity2 View Post
I made up a post like this on HT and the replies I got weren't too insightful. So I'll ask the same question here: Do you think the Fit will become the next Civic, Integra or Accord - In other words, will it be the next car people will want to modify and essentially become a thief magnet? I'm just a little paranoid because my civic got stolen two days ago and I'm skeptical in purchasing another great, reliable, gas efficient Honda.

I want to hear what other Honda Fit enthusiasts and prospective owners have to say.
What year is ur civic

The fit is hard to steal, because it needs a computer chip as well as the key for the engine to run. If the engine is on somehow (hotwire, replica key, etc) it will run only for like 2 blocks and then shut off. The computer chip (in your keyfob) must be inside the car for the fit to run.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM
im not sure if anyone else pointed this out but here goes.

my answer is no. the car is too limited produced so it wont be like the camry car thefts...

the car has nothing of value for thieves. this car has no potential for selling parts. the civics/integras have tons of parts that are interchangable making it an easy for theives to sell parts...

the fit has nothing it can swap into another car, and even if it did, who wants a 109 hp economy engine? no one..

this car will be safe...

Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by crxgator View Post
im not sure if anyone else pointed this out but here goes.

my answer is no. the car is too limited produced so it wont be like the camry car thefts...

the car has nothing of value for thieves. this car has no potential for selling parts. the civics/integras have tons of parts that are interchangable making it an easy for theives to sell parts...

the fit has nothing it can swap into another car, and even if it did, who wants a 109 hp economy engine? no one..

this car will be safe...
Let's hope that we all deal only with Harvard-educated car thieves that do a lot of research before getting out on a new mission
Chris

Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 PM
i dont think the fit will be on the top 10 list of stolen vehicles if that. maybe in the 50? what would a thief want from a stock fit? the front seats, del sol seat are much nicer. it doesn't have navigation like the new si. now from a modify fit; rims, stereo equipment will be an eazy take. everything else useless except to other fit owners. there is a possibility that your can be stolen just take the right measures in preventing that.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Factory imobilizers are very helpful. From 2002 to 2007 there was only one MINI Cooper Stolen. They had to use a roll back. And if they have a roll back and they want your car... it's gone Even if it had a denver boot and imoblizer.

Glad to see that HONDA had the brains enough to put an imobilizer on it's lowest price car. Too bad that insurance companies can't recognise it. They see Honda and well insurance prices go up.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I would figure not because there isn't much on the Fit that is really top of the line in my opinion. Great features, but the engine isn't worth stealing to swap, you can find better seats in older cars, and maybe the only thing is the lip kit of the sport models. I don't see the car being highly sought after. Plus, if someone steals one, there aren't THAT many fits around to swap them into, besides some other Hondas. I dunno, plus immobilizer helps, but not the save all.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I have a AT Fit base (dont ask) but I had the factory alarm installed, and the immobilizer was already in it.

I'm not worried about it being stolen (but if ya steal it, dont bring it back!) I'm more worried over vandals.

Fit is going to be parked on the side of the street in New Orleans very soon. (It's garaged in metro Atlanta now)

Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by diversity2 View Post
I made up a post like this on HT and the replies I got weren't too insightful. So I'll ask the same question here: Do you think the Fit will become the next Civic, Integra or Accord - In other words, will it be the next car people will want to modify and essentially become a thief magnet? I'm just a little paranoid because my civic got stolen two days ago and I'm skeptical in purchasing another great, reliable, gas efficient Honda.

I want to hear what other Honda Fit enthusiasts and prospective owners have to say.
I'm sorry to hear that your civic was stolen... mine was stolen too right out from under my nose at night while i was sleeping. My guess is that you own a 2000 or earlier model that doesn't have a key immobilizer, mine sure didn't. Anyway, I bought a Fit because it comes with the key immobilizer and an alarm. If they want to steal my Fit, they're gonna have to tow it away... that's the only way it will go anywhere... so really the Fit is an amazing choice!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey There!
I'm pretty sure you can ask your local honda garage to fit a tracker on for you. My garage offered me it for my Jazz when I went to pick it up today.

Although this might not do anything to quelm your fears about the vehicle being stolen :3

Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
ummm... good idea in Europe maybe, but not here in North America. Trackers cost thousands of dollars and up to $200 bucks a month for service. No one buys them here. The key immobilizer in the keyfob is the best thing to prevent theft.

Another good idea to make towing it away really difficult... turn your wheels sharply in either direction when parked! This makes it really annoying for theives and they will most likely look for an easier target.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Runtie View Post
ummm... good idea in Europe maybe, but not here in North America. Trackers cost thousands of dollars and up to $200 bucks a month for service. No one buys them here. The key immobilizer in the keyfob is the best thing to prevent theft.

Another good idea to make towing it away really difficult... turn your wheels sharply in either direction when parked! This makes it really annoying for theives and they will most likely look for an easier target.
You're supposed to park against a curb and turn your wheels sharply away from the curb, I believe.

I don't foresee the Fit being a huge theft problem. There are more vehicles in the compact class (what has become of the up-sized Civic) that are much more attractive vehicles, unlike the B-segment. Yeah, a few Fits will probably get stolen, but the thing that made Civics and 'Tegs ('Tegs specifically) considerably more attractive to thieves and chop shops is also the strength that made tuning Honda's simple:

Modularity.

While the Fit is somewhat modular, it's nowhere near as valuable as the Integras were/are.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 AM
that's for parking on a hill!

I am talking about how to prevent to prevent tow-aways... you can't tow a car that has its wheels turned

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by mav View Post
On the flipside, do you think the Fit will become the next big thing for ricers wanting to ghetto-rice their cars?
Judging by the boys that practically run off the road checking it out, I would not be suprised.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
i had a 1992 Civic Si stolen right before I bought my fit... I only had liability insurance on it... It felt like someone went into my bank account and lifted $3000 right out of it...

Lesson learned, I got GAP coverage on my fit and the fullest of full coverage I could get for my insurance (and it's still cheaper than ANY other car my friends and family own)

Don't resist buying a car because it's stolen all the time. Remember, there's a reason they are stolen: Their desirability. You make up for it ten-fold when resale time comes around. Anyone with a 2003 Ford Taurus they spent $21,000 on that is now worth around $4000 will attest to that fact.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
That list is almost worthless as far as predicting the likelihood that your car would be stolen. Why? Look at that list and decide another thing those 10 cars have in common. Can't guess what it is? They're popular cars that have sold a lot.

What they should have listed is the percent of cars sold that were stolen. That list would actually tell you how likely your car is going to be stolen as well as correcting for the # of cars sold.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 PM
The thing that makes a car more likely to be stolen is how common it is. You can go down any street and find accords or civics or camrys. Thieves main objective isnt to steal the car for a joyride, but to steal it and sell the parts. It's easier to sell parts for cars that are on every block. The fit is extremely uncommon, and i'm quite sure it will continue to be uncommon for a while. That's not to say no fits are going to get stolen, but in terms of them being on the top 10? I'm willing to bet it will be far from it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit - Next on Top 10 Stolen List?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.