General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fogging Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Fogging Windows

Anyone having a foggy window problem on the 09 Fit? I've been fighting this all winter and it's rather annoying. Only way to fix is to either turn down the heat and/or crack a window or 2. Always seems like a constant battle that I can barely win.

When I took a test drive of the Fit in October the air conditioning even fogged the window a little. I kind of passed it off. Now I'm wondering if I'll end up fighting this all summer.

This is my #1 complaint about the Fit. Everything else is just great!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Its happened to me a lot. I point one of the vents by the cupholder on the side windows. Works decent enough to see out of.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I turn the windshield vent on high and point the front vents at the side windows. This helps a little but even with this configuration the driver and passenger windows fog up about 75% and all the back windows get foggy. Only way to fix is to crack a window or severely turn down the heat to the point where you are cold.

This is the first car I've ever had this kind of problem. My Oldsmobile Intrigue never fogs up under any situation. The dealer said this has to do with the small cabin area. I don't know if I agree with this.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife has not complained at all about my GE8 fogging up?
my GD is fine too... perhaps use the defrost mode or a/c more
and use the fresh-air mode all the time. keep the fan speed
2 or higher.

another thing to try is FogX. you can get those at most
autoparts places.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
My 09 Fit had fogging problems too, when I was trying to heat up the car. I think there's two ways to solve it:
1) Put on the AC, but if your trying to heat the car, then this seems illogical.
2) Put the circulation mode on "outside" circulation, not "inside". Whenever I put it on inside circulation, the windows completely fog up in like 2 minutes. With the outside circulation I have never had problems.
More importantly, set the direction of the air unto the windshield.

IDK, it worked for me, I never have fogging problems anymore.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for repeating wat i posted...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
HID Addict
i remember i used to have this problem with the 08, problem was i used "recycled" air, which was the one with the arrow inverting inside the car, instead of using the one with the arrow going from outside to inside. i think thats what the guys above mentioned. i keep heat on the hottest setting and blow level 1 out of 4 and its fine. but then again this is the 08 -shrugs-

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I will try the outside air setting for tomorrow. I think I've had this set to recycle air all winter. Based on a couple comments sounds like I may have had it on the wrong setting all this time. Tomorrow morning it's going to be 25 so it should be a good test.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, having it set to recirculate the air definitely fogs the winders up. When it is really cold, I'll set the system to recirc only long enough for the engine to get really warmed up and then set it back to vent. If you leave it on recirc, be prepared to run the defrost all the time. Really, the only time you want the system set to recirc is in the Summer when you're running the A/C

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Windows were free and clear this morning set to outside air! I definitely felt a difference with the inside temperature not being as warm but at least the windows were not fogged up. Easy to combat the cool air with more heat so no problems doing some adjusting.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Should have wrote this months ago. I suppose I didn't experience this with my Olds Intrigue because the system was a auto temp controlled and probably handles the inside/outside air without intervention.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't you think it's just normal?...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by jagass
Don't you think it's just normal?...
It was pretty close to being normal, yes. I would say MUCH BETTER then recycling the inside air. The true test will be when the temp gets below zero. I don't suspect I'll be able to test this out until next winter. At least I hope!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Yeah, having it set to recirculate the air definitely fogs the winders up. When it is really cold, I'll set the system to recirc only long enough for the engine to get really warmed up and then set it back to vent. If you leave it on recirc, be prepared to run the defrost all the time. Really, the only time you want the system set to recirc is in the Summer when you're running the A/C

Ding ding ding... we have a winner.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Recirc is also good for one other thing- melting an icy windshield.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by FittJedi
Recirc is also good for one other thing- melting an icy windshield.

Also driving by a pig farm... gravel road dust clouds...

Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davejulien
Windows were free and clear this morning set to outside air!
great to hear.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have a problem with the rear passenger windows fogging up really bad. The driver and front passenger will be ok (heat and the vents turned outward), but the two behind me are bad. In really cold weather they fog, then the fog freezes. I just assumed it was because of the open cabin area (due to it being a hatch) that the rear just doesn't get warm enough because it's so open.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Are you recirculating or not? Maybe you can fix the back by letting in the outside air.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
clean the inside and outside of one of your windows u will still get fog but alot less hassle to handle

Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
ski
5 Year Member
The air recirculation mode is designed for temporary use only during the initial few minutes of driving in order to quickly heat up the interior in cold weather, and quickly cool it down in hot weather.
Also, keeping the vents in the recirculation mode continuously with the a/c on will help to maintain cool interior temps in extremely hot weather, but it will also cause the interior air to become extremely stale. A few minutes of fresh air circulation every so often will help to prevent the stale air problem.

Quick Reply: Fogging Windows