Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Honda Fit vs. Fiat Panda (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/42606-honda-fit-vs-fiat-panda.html)

paulgraham 05-13-2009 07:40 PM

Honda Fit vs. Fiat Panda

So they're not exactly the world's most comparable autos, but there are some undeniable similarities. Which are some pro's and con's to each car - like what can the Fit offer that the Panda doesn't and vice versa? Which would you say has a longer shelf life in terms of reliability?

kenchan 05-14-2009 12:27 PM

panda? is it made in china?

Ginza Wagon 05-14-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 652922)
panda? is it made in china?

No. The Fiat Panda, which will probably come to the U.S. as as Chrysler, is made in Poland. I doubt the U.S. variants will be made in Poland, though; probably in the U.S. or Mexico.

However, the Chinese company "Great Wall" did knock off the Panda with a car called the "Peri."

They're saying the Panda might come to the U.S. in its 4x4 version, which could possibly be under the Jeep nameplate. I'd rock one.

To the OP, the Panda is available in 4x4 (as mentioned). Maximum power is 99 hp, so it'd be less powerful than a Fit. It's also smaller than a fit. I believe the Panda is considered an A-class vehicle, whereas the fit is a B-class.

As you know, it's hard to beat a Honda for reliability. I don't know much about Fiat's reliability, though. I'd bet it's not as good as Honda's, though ...

Moltisanti2009 05-14-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ginza Wagon (Post 652927)

As you know, it's hard to beat a Honda for reliability. I don't know much about Fiat's reliability, though. I'd bet it's not as good as Honda's, though ...

When you hear about reliability ratings, you never hear Fiat mentioned...it's always toyota, honda, and subaru.

Nuff said.

kenchan 05-14-2009 02:42 PM

yah, ok, Peri. i couldn't remember one copied off the other or something.

anything with a chyrsler name i dont think i would be considering any time soon.

Ginza Wagon 05-14-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moltisanti2009 (Post 652972)
When you hear about reliability ratings, you never hear Fiat mentioned...it's always toyota, honda, and subaru.

Nuff said.

Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that Fiat isn't sold in the U.S.

However, I haven't followed the reliability ratings in Europe.

mahout 05-14-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by paulgraham (Post 652426)
So they're not exactly the world's most comparable autos, but there are some undeniable similarities. Which are some pro's and con's to each car - like what can the Fit offer that the Panda doesn't and vice versa? Which would you say has a longer shelf life in terms of reliability?

As a past owner of a Fiat and wrenching several I can vouch for Honda having considerable reliability edge on Fiats. One of the funniest jokes around is the thought of Chrysler selling Fiats specified by bureaucrats. LOL squared.
Fiats usually drove well between repairs or tuneups but my Hondas have been far superior and drove just as well if not better. And yes I've had an Abarth too; sceamer for a month at a time. The latest Automotive news ran the consumer quality data for the Fiat in selected Europen countries and Fiat was in the lowest quartille. Things haven't changed much it seems.

PS fan of the Steig, eh.

TurboManGT 05-15-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ginza Wagon (Post 653062)
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that Fiat isn't sold in the U.S.

However, I haven't followed the reliability ratings in Europe.

Fiat is at the bottom of the reliability ratings in europe

Type 100 05-15-2009 12:27 PM

That Panda 100HP sure has found a lot of fans. I've read a lot of road tests praising the chassis and engine balance of the little Fiat.

It looks a little too squarish for me though. But that's where its cousin the Fiat 500 Abarth comes in. ;) Mmmm, tasty...

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...500_abarth.jpg

p nut 05-19-2009 06:57 PM

I don't mind driving an econobox, but that thing (Panda) takes Ugly to a whole new level. I'd rather drive an xB. Or even the Cube.

SportMTNavi 05-19-2009 08:37 PM

I loved those Fiats 40 years ago. You really had to keep the revs up to get any power at all. They looked pretty for one mid-Western winter--real sexy and Italian, although very tiny. Then they all had the same color: rust. Didn't matter, though, because they wouldn't run after that winter anyway. You could learn a lot about cars from owning a Fiat.

Of course they're much better now.

Cheers.

mahout 05-20-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by p nut (Post 656503)
I don't mind driving an econobox, but that thing (Panda) takes Ugly to a whole new level. I'd rather drive an xB. Or even the Cube.

Fret not, next year you can buy one from Chrysler. LOL squared.

mahout 05-20-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SportMTNavi (Post 656550)
I loved those Fiats 40 years ago. You really had to keep the revs up to get any power at all. They looked pretty for one mid-Western winter--real sexy and Italian, although very tiny. Then they all had the same color: rust. Didn't matter, though, because they wouldn't run after that winter anyway. You could learn a lot about cars from owning a Fiat.

Of course they're much better now.

Cheers.

Not much better.. Refer to latest quality ratings from Europe. Which is why the Panda will NOT be Chrysler badged. It will be Fiast badged.

TurboManGT 05-20-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mahout (Post 656948)
Not much better..

Yeah no kidding haha

Fitsup 06-02-2009 02:30 AM

They may not be the most reliable but hey they are pretty new.

2009 Fiat 500 Abarth - First Drive Review/Not Sold in the U.S./High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Fallen_Rock 06-05-2009 03:03 PM

Panda's for the WIN!!!!!!! j/k you cant beat a honda

Flyin172s 06-06-2009 11:12 AM

I'm guessing when the Panda does get here; it'll be equipped with more horsepower, not much more, but enough to move us fat Americans around town. j/k But, I'm not excited for the cars sporting Fiat badges... but as for Alfa Romeo, I'll gladly push one of those home after it breaks down.

mahout 06-06-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flyin172s (Post 669709)
I'm guessing when the Panda does get here; it'll be equipped with more horsepower, not much more, but enough to move us fat Americans around town. j/k But, I'm not excited for the cars sporting Fiat badges... but as for Alfa Romeo, I'll gladly push one of those home after it breaks down.

Look for less power to meet US emissions standards and greater weight to meet DOT/NHTSA requirements.
Thats why it will be branded FIAT, not Chrysler. The industry expect sales dependent on Obama rebates.

Steeldog 06-06-2009 05:23 PM

What the Fit offers is versatility, fun and reliability.

The Fiat offers the opportunity to meet new friends at the local garage. Mechanics are usually very nice, grounded people.

buttersandpaper 07-26-2009 07:55 AM

I have seen like the Jeep version of the Fiat Panda 4x4. But I think it might've been photochopped. Well I heard that the Fit was awd outside the us. I wonder how it would've done performance wise.