General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit vs. Fiat Panda

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda Fit vs. Fiat Panda

So they're not exactly the world's most comparable autos, but there are some undeniable similarities. Which are some pro's and con's to each car - like what can the Fit offer that the Panda doesn't and vice versa? Which would you say has a longer shelf life in terms of reliability?

Panda

vs.

Fit

Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
panda? is it made in china?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
panda? is it made in china?
No. The Fiat Panda, which will probably come to the U.S. as as Chrysler, is made in Poland. I doubt the U.S. variants will be made in Poland, though; probably in the U.S. or Mexico.

However, the Chinese company "Great Wall" did knock off the Panda with a car called the "Peri."

They're saying the Panda might come to the U.S. in its 4x4 version, which could possibly be under the Jeep nameplate. I'd rock one.

To the OP, the Panda is available in 4x4 (as mentioned). Maximum power is 99 hp, so it'd be less powerful than a Fit. It's also smaller than a fit. I believe the Panda is considered an A-class vehicle, whereas the fit is a B-class.

As you know, it's hard to beat a Honda for reliability. I don't know much about Fiat's reliability, though. I'd bet it's not as good as Honda's, though ...

Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ginza Wagon

As you know, it's hard to beat a Honda for reliability. I don't know much about Fiat's reliability, though. I'd bet it's not as good as Honda's, though ...
When you hear about reliability ratings, you never hear Fiat mentioned...it's always toyota, honda, and subaru.

Nuff said.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, ok, Peri. i couldn't remember one copied off the other or something.

anything with a chyrsler name i dont think i would be considering any time soon.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moltisanti2009
When you hear about reliability ratings, you never hear Fiat mentioned...it's always toyota, honda, and subaru.

Nuff said.
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that Fiat isn't sold in the U.S.

However, I haven't followed the reliability ratings in Europe.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paulgraham
So they're not exactly the world's most comparable autos, but there are some undeniable similarities. Which are some pro's and con's to each car - like what can the Fit offer that the Panda doesn't and vice versa? Which would you say has a longer shelf life in terms of reliability?

As a past owner of a Fiat and wrenching several I can vouch for Honda having considerable reliability edge on Fiats. One of the funniest jokes around is the thought of Chrysler selling Fiats specified by bureaucrats. LOL squared.
Fiats usually drove well between repairs or tuneups but my Hondas have been far superior and drove just as well if not better. And yes I've had an Abarth too; sceamer for a month at a time. The latest Automotive news ran the consumer quality data for the Fiat in selected Europen countries and Fiat was in the lowest quartille. Things haven't changed much it seems.

PS fan of the Steig, eh.

Last edited by mahout; 06-03-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ginza Wagon
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that Fiat isn't sold in the U.S.

However, I haven't followed the reliability ratings in Europe.
Fiat is at the bottom of the reliability ratings in europe

Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
That Panda 100HP sure has found a lot of fans. I've read a lot of road tests praising the chassis and engine balance of the little Fiat.

It looks a little too squarish for me though. But that's where its cousin the Fiat 500 Abarth comes in. Mmmm, tasty...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind driving an econobox, but that thing (Panda) takes Ugly to a whole new level. I'd rather drive an xB. Or even the Cube.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I loved those Fiats 40 years ago. You really had to keep the revs up to get any power at all. They looked pretty for one mid-Western winter--real sexy and Italian, although very tiny. Then they all had the same color: rust. Didn't matter, though, because they wouldn't run after that winter anyway. You could learn a lot about cars from owning a Fiat.

Of course they're much better now.

Cheers.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
I don't mind driving an econobox, but that thing (Panda) takes Ugly to a whole new level. I'd rather drive an xB. Or even the Cube.

Fret not, next year you can buy one from Chrysler. LOL squared.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I loved those Fiats 40 years ago. You really had to keep the revs up to get any power at all. They looked pretty for one mid-Western winter--real sexy and Italian, although very tiny. Then they all had the same color: rust. Didn't matter, though, because they wouldn't run after that winter anyway. You could learn a lot about cars from owning a Fiat.

Of course they're much better now.

Cheers.

Not much better.. Refer to latest quality ratings from Europe. Which is why the Panda will NOT be Chrysler badged. It will be Fiast badged.

Last edited by mahout; 06-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
Not much better..
Yeah no kidding haha

Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Panda's for the WIN!!!!!!! j/k you cant beat a honda

Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing when the Panda does get here; it'll be equipped with more horsepower, not much more, but enough to move us fat Americans around town. j/k But, I'm not excited for the cars sporting Fiat badges... but as for Alfa Romeo, I'll gladly push one of those home after it breaks down.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
I'm guessing when the Panda does get here; it'll be equipped with more horsepower, not much more, but enough to move us fat Americans around town. j/k But, I'm not excited for the cars sporting Fiat badges... but as for Alfa Romeo, I'll gladly push one of those home after it breaks down.

Look for less power to meet US emissions standards and greater weight to meet DOT/NHTSA requirements.
Thats why it will be branded FIAT, not Chrysler. The industry expect sales dependent on Obama rebates.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
What the Fit offers is versatility, fun and reliability.

The Fiat offers the opportunity to meet new friends at the local garage. Mechanics are usually very nice, grounded people.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I have seen like the Jeep version of the Fiat Panda 4x4. But I think it might've been photochopped. Well I heard that the Fit was awd outside the us. I wonder how it would've done performance wise.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit vs. Fiat Panda