General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AT inefficiency or MT tomfoolery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by novascroller
as long as you're speeding you'll always be disappointed with mileage results.
LOL. most of the time i want to just cruise at 65mph. But seeing all the other cars passing, pressures me into driving faster.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
LOL. most of the time i want to just cruise at 65mph. But seeing all the other cars passing, pressures me into driving faster.
I know dude that happens to me too and it pisses me off lol

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Actually throttle position affects mpg more than rpm. Drive in first gear at a constant 6000rpm and I guarantee you'll get great mileage although your engine wouldn't last. Same with the MT vs AT. The MT will be at a higher rpm producing more power at the same speed vs an AT. The MT will require less throttle to overcome the wind resistance because its making more power. Even though the real time fuel gauge is kind of crappy in the Fit and play with it to see how its mainly throttle and not rpm that affects fuel consumption.
This makes perfect sense. It's all about how the car burns the Fuel.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
i'm still skeptical about all this 'less throttle required/its making more power at this given rpm range."

no real concrete facts to back it up the way i see it.

i know its not the case with the fit...but the 5speed auto in the civics delivers better epa mileage than its manual counterpart.

coincidence? hmmm....lots of factors involved? ofcourse.

btw this was never a conversation to dispute which tranny is 'better'.

there will always be an argument at a m/t enthusiasts disposal.

'mt gets better mileage'

(enter the civic and most other modern cars argument here)

'mt is faster'

(enter lots of proff of various cars with a/t and a/t-ish type trannies being faster in the 1/4 mile and 0-60)

'mt offers more control'

(enter tiptronic type a/t transmissions)

'i just like shifting myself'

silence?

lol that was fun.

personally unless i was making the fit a serious project car, i'm ok with my a/t. it does what it does seamlessly, is fun when it needs to be, and no m/t fit (unless modded and a rarity in my area) is SO much faster that i regeret my decision.

i'll take lower revs and the supposed 'lower fuel economy' (and all the convoluted explanations as to why) over high cruising revs anyday.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
secondspassed, by your avatar photo and the marginal coherence or your post I'm guessing you are about 16.
So, no one has taught you how to drive a stick yet? It's really not that hard, a few lessons and you will have the basics down. If you are ever in Colorado give me a buzz and I will show you what you are missing.
My avatar is an older photo. I'm 26, but no, no one has ever taught me how to drive stick. Unfortunately, I commute WAY too much to consider it. I agree that it would probably be super fun, it's just not practical for me. I've got my paddle shifters for control of the gears... I like to be able to have a free hand while I'm driving, anyway.

^That was the nice part of my post.

"Marginal coherence?????" Really????? Suck my 3===D ~ ~

Last edited by secondspassed; 08-24-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
i'm still skeptical about all this 'less throttle required/its making more power at this given rpm range."

no real concrete facts to back it up the way i see it.
I agree with you to a point here. There is no point in speculating on all the factors that play into the fuel economy that a particular vehicle will get. It is a complex calculation that I'm sure few of us fully understand.
If you want concrete facts go down to the Eco fit board and look at the mileage reports.
I averaged out the first ten for automatic transmission and it came out to 30 mpg. The first ten for manual transmission came out 37 mpg.
EPA testing methods are flawed when it comes to comparing auto to manual. Ignore them.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
"Marginal coherence?????" Really????? Suck my 3===D ~ ~
Let me correct myself. You are marginally mature and latently homosexual.
My offer still stands for the lessons. As long as you don't ask me to suck your 3===D~~.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
^As long as I was coherent.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
'mt offers more control'

(enter tiptronic type a/t transmissions)
eldaino,
Even with these, there's still an unwanted delay between shifts. Granted they've gotten better, but short of VW-Audi's DSG and other dual-clutch transmissions, there isn't a cheap manual-mode A/T yet that offers quick shifts.

Just trying to present one M/T advantage - whether it's an advantage or not is arguably up to the driver though. 90% of the population won't care I guess.

Ditto on the high cruising RPM though. At 60 MPH (100 km/h) in top gear, my L13A engine turns over at 3000 RPM already.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
eldaino,
there isn't a cheap manual-mode A/T yet that offers quick shifts.
I haven't driven another "performance" manual-mode AT like in an Audi/VW, but those I've had in rental cars (Hyundai, Mazda, others I can't remember) all shifted with a very noticable delay, maybe 1/2 to 1 second. The AT Fit feels like it shifts instantly compared with those. The Fit is the only shiftable AT (of those I've tried) that's seems fun to shift in manual mode. Still not the same experience as an MT because the torque converter adds that feeling as if you have another gear reduction in there that you can't control, but not bad either.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
if everyone drove off a bridge, would you? holy crap, i've turned into my dad.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
yes I realize that the fuel gadge is innacurate, but if I'm cruising along at 50 miles an hour in fourth and I shift to fifth, the readout says I lost around 7-10 MPG.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no one has ever taught me how to drive stick. Unfortunately, I commute WAY too much to consider it. I agree that it would probably be super fun, it's just not practical for me.
if you want to be a car guy i definitely recommend you get (even a beater) MT car and learn how to drive stick. you're missing out on all the fun. MT is not really about performance these days or mpg. it's more about having fun while driving.

my GE has paddles but man, i got bored of the car in the first 3min. it's okay though since my wife is the primary driver and she loves the car. and she never touches the paddles. imho the GE runs best in D and only use the paddles to downshift with a slight blip in the throttle.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
MT is not really about performance these days or mpg. it's more about having fun while driving.
For me it is about performance and mpg. A manual is still superior in this regard.
I agree with you about paddles. Why would I want to pretend an auto tranny is a manual?
That's kinda dumb.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by novascroller
if everyone drove off a bridge, would you? holy crap, i've turned into my dad.
LOL. maybe !

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
eldaino,
Even with these, there's still an unwanted delay between shifts. Granted they've gotten better, but short of VW-Audi's DSG and other dual-clutch transmissions, there isn't a cheap manual-mode A/T yet that offers quick shifts.

Just trying to present one M/T advantage - whether it's an advantage or not is arguably up to the driver though. 90% of the population won't care I guess.

Ditto on the high cruising RPM though. At 60 MPH (100 km/h) in top gear, my L13A engine turns over at 3000 RPM already.
you got me there man. unless vw starts offering the 7speed dual clutch as standard equipment instead of the six speed auto for the new golf, you will have to shell out over 23k for the price of admission.

its possible to have a fast torque converter equipped a/t, like in the lexus is-f, but again, look at the price of admission. still slower than f-1 styled dsg type trannies though.

you could argue newer hondas, even m/t have that dbw 'lag'.
lol i'm just nitpicking now.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
I haven't driven another "performance" manual-mode AT like in an Audi/VW, but those I've had in rental cars (Hyundai, Mazda, others I can't remember) all shifted with a very noticable delay, maybe 1/2 to 1 second. The AT Fit feels like it shifts instantly compared with those. The Fit is the only shiftable AT (of those I've tried) that's seems fun to shift in manual mode. Still not the same experience as an MT because the torque converter adds that feeling as if you have another gear reduction in there that you can't control, but not bad either.
the audi/vw transmission we are talking about is much different.

its literally an automated manual transmission. there is a slight delay, but it can execute quicker shifts than a person can, and its been tested and proven as such. (enter the m/t 'involvement argument here.)

the m/t versions of these cars are actually slower by a small margin.

and they can be upgraded and reprogrammed to be faster still.

much different than the a/t in the fits shifting capabilities, or any of the cars you mentioned.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
For me it is about performance and mpg. A manual is still superior in this regard.
I agree with you about paddles. Why would I want to pretend an auto tranny is a manual?
That's kinda dumb.
If you're talking about those people that try to put a shift boot on their AT to literally make it look like a manual, then I agree with you. If you're talking about people with AT Fits using the paddle shifters (which you obviously are) then you have far too romanticized the idea of your manual tranny. It's dumb to upshift before the car's computer would to get better mileage? It's dumb to downshift for more power when it's appropriately needed? Using your equipment does not equal *pretending you have a manual*. Have you ever driven an AT Fit, sir?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Have you ever driven an AT Fit, sir?
I drove an AT fit once...........just once

Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
I would much rather try to fix my MT than an AT.

Quick Reply: AT inefficiency or MT tomfoolery?