General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a 2009 or 2010 Fit Sport MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Buying a 2009 or 2010 Fit Sport MT

Hi guys, I'm trying to buy a 2009 Fit Sport MT or 2010. The 2010s cost more and have no additional features from what I've read (although I hear there's a new color), so I'm mainly just trying to find a good deal with a 2009.

But, I've checked with a few dealers and everyone claims there aren't any 2009 Fit Sport MTs around (except 2, and they are in that purple color and the orange color, both of which I don't really like).

Here's the current quote I'm working with from a dealer:

White 2010 Honda Fit Sport MT
- $17,235 MSRP
- -$466 Discount
- $16,769 Sales price sub-total
- $117 Tag, Title, Etc.
- $479 Processing ("documentation fee" or whatever bullshit)
- $503.07 Tax (3% NC Sales tax)
_________
$17,868.07 out the door

What do you guys think of this number? The first thing that caught my eye when they showed me these numbers was that the MSRP was not even right. I fought them a bit on this, and things got a bit confusing because no one knew whether we were talking a 2010 Fit or a 2009 Fit and crap. In the end I think they said "$16,769" is their "internet price" and they honored that discount or something.

Is this a reasonable price already? I'm definitely going to work to get it as low as I can. Some of my friends have told me that they were able to get the Processing fee removed and stuff, and another dealer said they could do the Tag and Title stuff for $75.

Do you guys have any negotiating advice? Know any *real* invoice prices, or anything like that?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds reasonable. I paid $16,570 for a 2009 Sport MT just 3 weeks ago. That didn't include tag or tax. In Oklahoma, you pay that at the DMV within the next 30 days.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I bet you could get that lower. The doc fee is pretty much pure dealer profit. They gave you a "discount" off MSRP and stuck it to the doc fee. You would essentially be paying MSRP. Is this the only dealer you are looking at? You should compare against at least 3 for the best OTD price.

If I were getting it, this is what I would aim for:

$16,539 ($15,829 invoice price + $710 destination fee)
+ $496 (NC tax)
+ $248 (title + registration, yours may be the $117 though)
= $17,283 OTD

That's about $600 less than your current OTD, so you could do a bit better. Put a $3,500 (20% so you can skip GAP insurance) down payment on like a 36 month loan at 5% and you will pay around $413 a month.

If you can't get close to this OTD with any dealers, it may be better just to wait until after Thanksgiving or Xmas when they will be much slower on sales. Just buy it before New Years if you want the tax credit.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
With floor mats and a 1 grand downpayment to have that dealership ship me a Milano Red 09 Fit sport MT, I paid 17,800 and some change out the door. Not too bad me thinks. I couldn't see myself in any other small econo box, and I didn't want used. It's perfect!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Just Paid

$16,595 for an '10 Sport MT
Obviously no taxes and tags there, but DE's no Tax is VERY helpful - they just charge a DMV fee just above 3%.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
If they say they can't remove the processing fee, just ask for another $500 off on the purchase price.

Also watch out for the accessory menu. They roll that out after you've agreed on price. Your inclination (at least mine) was to pay the asking price for floor mats. I ended up ordering them online from another Honda dealer, but it would have been better to include these in the negotiation (plus any other add-ons you want: cargo tray, cargo cover, etc...) Check out online honda parts places for what accessories are available and what the discounted prices are. College Hills Honda is a good place to start.

Then the finance guy will try to up their profits by selling you too high an interest rate or silly warranties/service plans. Be sure to know what interest rate you can get before going in and avoid the package plans. The dealer makes money on the loans so if you're going to pay cash, don't tell them before negotiating the sales price.

The "real price" is whatever you can get it for. Edmunds and Kelly are a good place to start, but don't forget the dealers get "hold-back" checks after the sale from Honda. So even if they sell below invoice they may still make money. I think they have quotas for particular models/features and what they have sitting on the lot makes a difference. Choose a dealer with lots of inventory and don't be too picky. If they know you are hot for a particular color and they have the only one you're sunk.

I'd recommend doing all your negotiation via email/fax. Avoid the showroom game where they make you sit while they go "talk to the manager" to come down a few dollars (they're really having coffee/going to the can). When you're on their turf they have an advantage.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes,

try to keep it electronic, the negotiation that is.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roekai

- $479 Processing ("documentation fee" or whatever bullshit)
try $50. it's just paperwork.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I e-mailed some other dealers that were all over me the price I got (and shared with you guys). No responses yet today.

I looked around at every dealer's site in a 50 mile radius (zip code 28270) and wasn't able to find anyone with a 09/10 Fit Sport MT. The dealer I got this quote from said they will take the hit on getting it shipped from another dealer for no fee. In my opinion, of course, they could just buy the damn thing from Honda directly, I can choose my color, and I'd probably settle for paying invoice and cutting their doc fee in half.

I looked at the Edmunds TMV and it's actually higher than the initial sales price they are offering (without documentation fee). So, that's kinda good I guess.

Is it possible for me to buy the car from another dealer out-of-state? Maybe I'll get a better deal from someplace with a bunch in inventory.

Also, they quoted me an interest rate of 5.2% on 60 months. I told him I found 4.75% at a local credit union (although I kinda lied because I can't join that credit union, it's for state employees only). He said that he should be able to match or beat it if I was able to get it somewhere else.

The way I've been playing the negotiation game is just telling the first guy I met with that I really want to buy the car from him, but I gotta check out what price everyone else can give me first. My plan is basically to just get other quotes (that are hopefully lower) and try to get the original guy I met with to keep undercutting the quotes I get. Other than that, I really don't know what else to say to the guy. For example, what's a good reason to say "I don't want to pay the doc fee." I guess I could just say that, but it seems like it would be easier to have some sort of "line" prepared or something, to force them to get rid of it.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Most dealer's websites don't exactly reflect what inventory is sitting on their lot. Make a list of all the dealers in your area, email them all your OTD price you're willing to pay and stick to that number regardless of whatever other BS they throw at you to alter your price. Don't worry about doc fees and accessories, just work with your OTD price, whatever they want to give you extra is bonus but don't pay more for it. But do figure out how much you're willing to pay.

You can buy a car from out of state, but I think you will have to pay that state's tax rate.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
I thought I read that there are no '10 Sport MTs. I don't see it listed on Honda's web site.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roekai
I e-mailed some other dealers that were all over me the price I got (and shared with you guys). No responses yet today.

I looked around at every dealer's site in a 50 mile radius (zip code 28270) and wasn't able to find anyone with a 09/10 Fit Sport MT. The dealer I got this quote from said they will take the hit on getting it shipped from another dealer for no fee. In my opinion, of course, they could just buy the damn thing from Honda directly, I can choose my color, and I'd probably settle for paying invoice and cutting their doc fee in half.

I looked at the Edmunds TMV and it's actually higher than the initial sales price they are offering (without documentation fee). So, that's kinda good I guess.

Is it possible for me to buy the car from another dealer out-of-state? Maybe I'll get a better deal from someplace with a bunch in inventory.

Also, they quoted me an interest rate of 5.2% on 60 months. I told him I found 4.75% at a local credit union (although I kinda lied because I can't join that credit union, it's for state employees only). He said that he should be able to match or beat it if I was able to get it somewhere else.

The way I've been playing the negotiation game is just telling the first guy I met with that I really want to buy the car from him, but I gotta check out what price everyone else can give me first. My plan is basically to just get other quotes (that are hopefully lower) and try to get the original guy I met with to keep undercutting the quotes I get. Other than that, I really don't know what else to say to the guy. For example, what's a good reason to say "I don't want to pay the doc fee." I guess I could just say that, but it seems like it would be easier to have some sort of "line" prepared or something, to force them to get rid of it.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas!
Try, "no thanks" and walk away. It's a big game and you have nothing to lose.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I thought I read that there are no '10 Sport MTs. I don't see it listed on Honda's web site.
Are you sure? It's right here: 2010 Honda Fit - Options and Pricing - Official Honda Web site

Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
There are 2010 Sport MTs, but there are no Sport MTs w/navigation. Only Sport ATs get navigation this year.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Vanct
You can buy a car from out of state, but I think you will have to pay that state's tax rate.
I didn't have to Pay PA taxes when residing in DE - not sure if it is a State to State type of thing, but I would assume you pay your own State Tax or Fee....like I did.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
There are 2010 Sport MTs, but there are no Sport MTs w/navigation. Only Sport ATs get navigation this year.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew I had read something about that. I know that when we ordered ours there simply weren't any anywhere. I love it but there must be almost no demand for the Sport MT Navi.

Cheers

Old 11-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Here's an update.

Original quote is $17,868.07 from Crown Honda
4.89% from Crown Honda.
Metro Honda says they can match that.
Metro Honda offers $17,640.62 out the door.
I tell Crown Honda.
Crown Honda offers $17,852.89 out the door. Holding on the following statements:

"$17852.89 (revised just now at $100 above Invoice cost) out the door at Crown gets you my customer care, 2 free oil & filter changes, 6 free detailings of your car, and straight shooting communication and customer care."

"Contact me and we can pull the trigger to get your car here. You've already invested far more value for your time than the $212 that Metro leads you to believe that you are saving."

Personally, I think the guy at Metro Honda is pretty straight-shooting too. He has great ratings at dealerratings.com (about 30+ customers have praised him, nothing on Crown).

Another dealership, Honda of Concord, quoted me an out-the-door of $17,625. Haven't spoken to them on the phone, but I thought the offer was fishy because he says the MSRP is $17,120, then adds in the destination charge again ($710). Yet, somehow, he still comes out with the lowest number out of everyone so far.

Thoughts?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
go for the lowest number. You can get your car serviced at any Honda dealer.

The edmunds price INCLUDES any additional documentation fee or dealer prep the dealer adds. This is pure dealer profit. The only thing the edmunds TMV doesn't include are rebates (there are none), taxes, and registration fees. The edmunds price is the average; in this case it's better to be below average.

Let them stew for a while until one of them comes down. $17,200 otd sounds like the sweet spot.

If you can wait, try waiting till after t-day. With xmas car sales are down and they're more willing to negotiate. Try expanding your negotiations to another city (S.C.?) Make sure they email or fax you a signed offer with the out the door price before driving far and call the NC DMV to find out what they will charge to register a car bought in SC.

Or pay too much. It's a much better feeling driving out knowing you got the best deal.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
MT Fit

When I was looking for my Fit, I had no problem knocking the Processing Fees down to $150 at any dealer in the area. This is very flexible and will save you money. I had the biggest problem locating a Fit MT. I had to be willing to pick one of the colors they could locate rather than choosing the color I wanted. The Fit AT is much more plentiful and I could find it in any color. Two weeks ago I checked on the 2009 Fit MT, here in Connecticut, at one dealer and they wanted
$16,700 for the car excluding the processing fee (i.e $150), taxes, and registration. There was no shipping fee or additional fee of any kind.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
sc4
2010 honda fit sport AT 17,400 OTD is this a good price?

Hey my GF just bought a 2010 honda fit sport for 17,400 OTD, good deal?

this is in western NY.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2009 or 2010 Fit Sport MT