General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Aftermarket electric sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Aftermarket electric sunroof

Hi,

Newbie here (but not to Hondas),

So I am about to buy an 07 Fit that has an $1800 CDN ($1600 USD) aftermarket electric sunroof. Looks incredible and the fit is OEM.

Anyone have one in their car?

The car is an 07 Sport with the "car buff" package. Blue 5 spd.

Thanks,

jeff

Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
What the hells a car buff package?

Several people here have installed sunroof's. I personally would never get a car with an aftermarket sunroof, or install one on mine. They're pretty much guaranteed to leak eventually, or fall off track or whatever.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Now if we could get the sky roof... that would be cool. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-roof-u-s.html

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forums. Avoid aftermarket moonroofs. With that being said: there is no OEM moonroof.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitegra
Hi,

Newbie here (but not to Hondas),

So I am about to buy an 07 Fit that has an $1800 CDN ($1600 USD) aftermarket electric sunroof. Looks incredible and the fit is OEM.

Anyone have one in their car?

The car is an 07 Sport with the "car buff" package. Blue 5 spd.

Thanks,

jeff

Check my photo thread... Mine has a Sunroof by Webasto. If installed correctly, its virtually OEM, no leak whatsoever~

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...fit-sport.html

Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13

Several people here have installed sunroof's. I personally would never get a car with an aftermarket sunroof, or install one on mine. They're pretty much guaranteed to leak eventually, or fall off track or whatever.
Only depends on your installer. If you find a reputable one, they are awesome.

Note: Speedyglass is NOT reputable for sunroof installs.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
I don't have an aftermarket sunroof on my Fit, but had one on my ~10 year old Geo Prizm. It never leaked, or had any issue (it was a pop-up style). It depends on the installer for these types of products.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I would trade one of my toes for an electronic sun roof. The day I purchased the car there was a fit on the floor MR with HFP exhaust wheels and sun roof. Decided not to go with that package and now I own HFP wheels and wish I had a sunroof. Bad decision. I bet your going to love the sunroof.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13

Car buff Package response:

The "Car Buff Package" for the Fit.:
16" tires and wheels
Special grill
sport muffler
Sporty shift knob
Silver dash trim
Silver door panels
All for $2495.00
CDN in 2007

Now, this was available in Canada. I worked for Acura in the 90's and I have seen many different packages offered. By far the USA has more packages than here in Canada but this car has had a tonne of aftermarket OEM parts. The car I have seen for sale used, is equipped the the above package. 16" wheels are dark silver, shift knob is type R design. Silver accents? I guess they were there. Grill? Didn't see it. Muffler yes definately... Complete stainless "sport" design. Nice tip. Car also had a decent CAI. Discussing purchase with my wife tonight. Probably own it by Sat AM.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Welcome to the forums. Avoid aftermarket moonroofs. With that being said: there is no OEM moonroof.
Never said there was an OEM sunroof.

Just said the fit of it looks OEM (comparing it to other Hondas that have sunroofs - there is really no way you can tell its aftermarket).

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Any more opinions on an aftermarket sunroof? I want to put one in my 2007 Honda Fit Sport, but am feeling a tad nervous about it. I'm wondering if I'm making a big mistake. The Fit has rattles and squeaks as it is, and I don't want to add anymore cabin noises.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
i would also really really like to get one installed let me know how much you spend

Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I cancelled my appointment and decided not to do it until I can find other Fit owners that have owned an aftermarket sunroof for over 2 years. I think with the Fit's rough ride, you're probably asking for eventual creaks and rattles inside the roof.

So far, I have found this response from TKZ12NO1:

Well after 16000 miles with the Webasto Panoramic roof, still no leaks, but some creaks. Honestly: If I had the choice to make knowing what I do now, I would not do it. I would probably have bought a different car that offered a factory roof in the first place. That being said, I do enjoy the open roof very much, it's open most days. I don't regret it.
I don't want to add any more creaks/squeaks/rattles to the Fit's interior. I have already had to repair 3 major rattles/squeaks myself: The tailgate, the glove box, and the infamous dashboard rattle. I don't think I can take another annoying rattle in that car, especially right above my head. I previously owned a 2001 Toyota Echo with 200k miles on it. My 2007 Fit is noisier than my Echo and it's 6 years newer with half the miles. I'm not a picky person. My Echo rattled and creaked. But the Fit's rattles are much, much louder than anything I've experienced before. At first, I was upset with them, but since then I've fixed all the creaks and rattles myself and am happy as a clam. I have a feeling an aftermarket sunroof will squeak and rattle like a mouse with a maraca after 2 years of bouncing around in a Honda Fit.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Idk the interior rattles enough it's not a big deal it's not like you purchased a beamer ya know. I would say go for it if you repaired all the squeeks and rattles your self why can't you do that with the sun roof as well.

Did they tell you how much it would come out to? I'm very curious mite start saving my pennies.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robotfist
I cancelled my appointment and decided not to do it until I can find other Fit owners that have owned an aftermarket sunroof for over 2 years. I think with the Fit's rough ride, you're probably asking for eventual creaks and rattles inside the roof.

So far, I have found this response from TKZ12NO1:

I don't want to add any more creaks/squeaks/rattles to the Fit's interior. I have already had to repair 3 major rattles/squeaks myself: The tailgate, the glove box, and the infamous dashboard rattle. I don't think I can take another annoying rattle in that car, especially right above my head. I previously owned a 2001 Toyota Echo with 200k miles on it. My 2007 Fit is noisier than my Echo and it's 6 years newer with half the miles. I'm not a picky person. My Echo rattled and creaked. But the Fit's rattles are much, much louder than anything I've experienced before. At first, I was upset with them, but since then I've fixed all the creaks and rattles myself and am happy as a clam. I have a feeling an aftermarket sunroof will squeak and rattle like a mouse with a maraca after 2 years of bouncing around in a Honda Fit.
Will you do a tutorial on what you did? I have the dash rattle and am growing a couple of other ones. I'm not gonna fix them unless I know those are the main ones.

As for the sunroof, I would do it. This is such a basic car, you may as well get used to the cheapness and mod it a little bit. That's how I reconcile the rattles and noise, because it was cheap and I love the style of it. If it had been even 3K more, no way would I have bought it. Honda road noise has kept me from owning one up until the Fit. I still feel a need to apologize to people when i give them a ride. It's like a little truck.

Last edited by Juliane; 05-11-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I had a civic with an aftermarket pop up window, had been in the car for 5+ years by the time I got it.

Zero problems, loved it.

The moonroof aftermarket has matured greatly over the last few decades, and I can understand why folks that had a bad experience (or heard of a bad experience) 20 years ago would be weary. But if you go with a long time reputable installer and a quality brand, I wouldn't have any hesitation. Personally, all I need is the cash and the "OK" from the wife to spend it, and my Fit will have one too.

Last edited by shegetstodriveit; 05-11-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah that's one mod that won't look like I'm trying too hard to be young again.... unlike the street glow that I *really* want... heh...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Will you do a tutorial on what you did? I have the dash rattle and am growing a couple of other ones.
The dash rattle is different for everyone. For some people, it's a wire running to the air conditioning that has popped loose (which SUCKS). For me, it was the entire plastic dash rattling against the front windshield. I also had a squeak in my tailgate and a rattle in my glove box (which was almost louder than the stereo). There are tutorial for all these things on FitFreak.

I bought some Waxman 1" x 4" gripper pads with self adhesive backing and stuffed them snugly between the dash and the window. I also lined my glove box with them which placed outward force on the latch and made everything a bit more snug when shut. You can find the adhesive rubber pads at Lowe's in the section where they keep furniture floor sliders and felt picture frame pads.

This is similar to what I bought but in a 5" square instead of 1" strips:
Waxman Gripper Pads

My tailgate was squeaking when I hit a bump and I just sprayed some WD40 on the latch and it cleared up.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Guinness
Check my photo thread... Mine has a Sunroof by Webasto. If installed correctly, its virtually OEM, no leak whatsoever~

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...fit-sport.html

agreed. i have a ge8 with a webasto sunroof and have had no problems given my car only has 3k miles but it seems pretty oem to me. plus side for me my dealer offered me lifetime warranty on leaks and etc on mine

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Glad to hear you like your sunroof. Please chime back in after you've had it for a while.

Almost all the feedback on aftermarket sunroofs comes from people that have just had them installed. If you have a lifetime warranty, that's great. I have only been able to find Webasto installers that offer Webasto's 3 Year limited warranty which only covers parts, not labor.

If anyone knows of a good Webasto installer with a lifetime warranty in either Los Angeles or Dallas, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket electric sunroof