General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit to be built in USA in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Thumbs up Fit to be built in USA in the future?

Honda plans Y50 bln new plant in N.America-paper

TOKYO, May 16 (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. , Japan's No. 3 auto maker, plans to spend around 50 billion yen ($456 million) to build its sixth plant in North America amid growing sales, the Nihon Keizai business daily reported on Tuesday. The paper said the new factory will have an initial production capacity of about 150,000 vehicles a year, almost 10 percent of Honda's North American sales. The company aims to start operations in 2009, it added.
Honda officials were not immediately available for comment.
Honda, which sold about 1.66 million vehicles in North America in 2005, currently has an annual output capacity in that region of 1.4 million units and has been importing vehicles from Japan and other areas to fill the gap, the paper said. The new plant is expected to manufacture such models as the Civic and the Fit subcompact, and the company may consider building a second line at the facility to double capacity to 300,000 units a year, it said

Old 05-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm glad I got a japanese Fit.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
It's probably going to be the next gen fits that are built in NA.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Completely expected. Primary reason why I'm getting a 07 Fit.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 PM
GM just closed a plant here in Oklahoma City. It made SUV's. Bet Honda Could get a good deal on it. ;-)

Old 05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
There are 2 Honda Assembly plants in Canada and maybe we will get the parts for the U.S. plant.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business...f-1583166.html

Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Master FitFreaker
hell nah glad I'm buying my fit now cuz it's 100% japan

Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
hell nah glad I'm buying my fit now cuz it's 100% japan
i agree!! its japanese! hehe

Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingdlx
I'm glad I got a japanese Fit.
Please tell me, what difference does that make?

Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by bitterspeak
so do u like having a honda which is made here or even mexico rather get the car made it japan 100%?? do u see the difference?

Old 05-17-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
so do u like having a honda which is made here or even mexico rather get the car made it japan 100%?? do u see the difference?
No I don't. But if you have documents to show me that Honda USA build quality is substantially worst than Japan, then by all means show me. But other than that, there is no reason that Japan build is "superior" to US build other than a bunch of "JDM Fanboi-ism."

Old 05-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
this sounds like stereotyping but it's true: jpaanese car builders tend to be more gungho about bulding their cars. They're therefore more reliable. It's also cuz of the parts used for the car. For example, the 2006 civics are made with some GM parts. That is another reason why american built cars imply lowered reliability

Wen i was looking into versa, i learned that versa is made in MX. I thought nothing of this at first, but hten a lot of ppl whined cuz other nissan cars from the same plant had reliability issues.

I'm glad the fit is japanese. I used to think the higher than average price of the fit was cuz of its huge shipping fee, but it's not. Fit is a great deal not only cuz of the standard features, but cuz it's brought over the pacific ocean from japan.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation I'm not surprised.

In fact, I expact the second-generation Honda Fit and its related vehicle, the Fit Aria sedan, will be built at this new North American plant. A possible location: Lincoln, Alabama, the production line for the Honda Pilot SUV and Honda Odyssey minivan.

This means we could see as many as 200,000 Fits built for the North American market, including possibly shipments to Mexico (replacing the shipments from Brazil currently).

Old 05-17-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
this sounds like stereotyping but it's true: jpaanese car builders tend to be more gungho about bulding their cars. They're therefore more reliable. It's also cuz of the parts used for the car. For example, the 2006 civics are made with some GM parts. That is another reason why american built cars imply lowered reliability

Wen i was looking into versa, i learned that versa is made in MX. I thought nothing of this at first, but hten a lot of ppl whined cuz other nissan cars from the same plant had reliability issues.
I would definitely agree with you that Japanese car builders are more gungho. However, the plants in the US are similar to the plants in Japan with the same procedures. I am not familiar with the Civic using GM parts but only time can tell whether the build quality is affected by the different parts used. But as of now, all the Hondas built across the US have not encounted any major problems aside from their Japanese counterparts.

Last edited by bitterspeak; 05-17-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Master FitFreaker
No I don't. But if you have documents to show me that Honda USA build quality is substantially worst than Japan, then by all means show me. But other than that, there is no reason that Japan build is "superior" to US build other than a bunch of "JDM Fanboi-ism."
I dont know about document it's all about quality.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I dont know about document it's all about quality.
Umm, did you even finish reading my post before you replied?

I asked for documents or ANYYY proof regarding the Japanese build quality being better than the US build quality.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Master FitFreaker
Umm, did you even finish reading my post before you replied?

I asked for documents or ANYYY proof regarding the Japanese build quality being better than the US build quality.
I know it's better quality cuz I work at acura and can tell how the TL which is made here in the us compare to the other acura line which r made in japan

Old 05-17-2006, 02:30 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
In general, this is good news for GM.....'s employees

Old 05-17-2006, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Curious what you think of the quality of BMW and Mercedes products built in the states vs. built in Germany.

I just read that the Toyota minivan has a higher percentage of 'American made' parts than the Ford Mustang...

I wonder what the fits are like that are made in other countries? Aren't they also made in China for other markets?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
I know it's better quality cuz I work at acura and can tell how the TL which is made here in the us compare to the other acura line which r made in japan

If I was bias, I can make a claim about anything too.

BTW: Even if you could tell... the TL is made in the US and you're comparing other Acuras (made in Japan) to a TL... which is a moot point. Because you're comparing two different cars.

Quick Reply: Fit to be built in USA in the future?