General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tail of the Dragon, has anyone run it in their Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Question Tail of the Dragon, has anyone run it in their Fit?

Being new to this forum I thought this would be a great way to find out "who's who" here as far as the driving enthusists are concerned.

I've been running this awesome road since 2003. Back then I had a modded Contour SVT, then a Crossfire and finally, for the past 3 runs, a 2007 Mini Cooper "S" and now I look forward to seeing how the Fit does down there, which leads me to the question....

"Has anyone here run this road in their Fit?"

When answering the question give us a little background on your car and if you've done it before in something else, thx!

BTW, if you haven't heard of this road, check it out here www.tailofthedragon.com

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I ran it in my MINI back in '06. It was awsome! but no not in my Fit

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Few friends and I did it about a year and a half ago on our bikes. Tree of shame FTW!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Its on my bucket list! Me and my best friend were gonna do it as a two car trip (he has a stage II SC Tiburon) then he got sent to Ass-crack-istan.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
wow. im only an hour form this road. im going to have to check it out.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
dragon too crowded. angeles crest hwy best for night touge. tricky tight turns is glendora mtn. also muhholand dr is mentionable for good dori a bing excellence!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
But us Est Coast guys can get to the Dragon in about eight to ten hours. LA is a bit more of a drive if you know what i mean....

Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've never been to the Dragon but I will be riding my motorcycle down there in June. Travel 2,000 miles to ride an 11 mile stretch of road. Yup, makes sense to me!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, go drive a dangerous winding road with a whole bunch of squids and wannabe racers. I can hardly wait, NOT!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
We have enough curvy, winding roads in the heart of the mountains here in WV - I drive them everyday! LOL!

Cat :x

Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Arrow

So we've got people who've done it in other cars, bikes but not their Fits, hmmm. I've been doing this run since 2003 and yes, their are clowns out there, squids as their called sometimes as well but as long as you run with a good group, like ours, no problem at all. We've only had ONE incident and that person has never come back to run with us ever again, my buddy Hectour took care of that in his "own, special way". This road is a perfect "Fit" for our cars since they're so small and narrow. Big power isn't needed out there, actually it works against you for sure, so hopefully I can get atleast one or two of you guys to join us in the fall for our run.

FWIW I'm 40 years old and have been organizing this run since 2003 and we had a total of 17 cars out with us last year, from 5 different states too. From the metro Detroit and Chicago area its about a 650 mile drive, taking about 9.5 hrs and its well worth it. Here's a list of our cars from last year...

-Mini Cooper S
-Mazdaspeed 3
-EVO VIII MR
-Fiero GT
-GTI
-Saab 9-3 (rental)
-Lancer Ralliart
-S2000
-SRT8 Cherokee
-3 Contour SVT's
-86' Coralla drift car
-240 SX w/ SR20DET
-Mitsubishi Endevour
-WRX wagon w/STi motor
-STi

Our cars vary every year, but the group of guys are all cool and into cars but we want a clean, good run but that's not to say we are "fun governors" either. You can have plenty of fun w/o being an a-hole, trust me. Just keep this in mind and I'll be updating you guys from time to time on this run, we vote on it June over in the Contour forum, its where we all met and everyone stays in contact over there. Most of us are 3-4 cars removed from their Contour experience but ofcoarse we're all still friends and look forward to breaking the 20 car barrier this year.

BTW we stay here www.caneycreekvillage.com and the owner, Dixie, is one of the nicest people ever to walk the face of this earth and takes good care of us all when were down there. After the runs we build a campfire and BS about the days events and then do it all over again the next day. We get a group rate and you can pay as little as $20 a night but get no shower or up to $70 a night for a 1 or 2 bed cabin with everything you need in it, specials can be made even lower if you bring your own linens too. Then there's the food down there, let's just say southern hospitality and cookin', can't be beat

Those lookin' to do this and want someone who's organized and set this up for sometime, look no further, I'm your guy! BTW, there is NO fee, this is an organized meet basically and its pay as you go, get a buddy and make the price even cheaper, its up to you and your budget, that's it

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Being new to this forum I thought this would be a great way to find out "who's who" here as far as the driving enthusists are concerned.

I've been running this awesome road since 2003. Back then I had a modded Contour SVT, then a Crossfire and finally, for the past 3 runs, a 2007 Mini Cooper "S" and now I look forward to seeing how the Fit does down there, which leads me to the question....

"Has anyone here run this road in their Fit?"

When answering the question give us a little background on your car and if you've done it before in something else, thx!

BTW, if you haven't heard of this road, check it out here www.tailofthedragon.com

CRX, RX-7, and Infiniti G35. If you can get the slowpokes out of the way its a ball. Its really fun at nite. There's a more vicious road not far from the Tail in NC thats more challenging. One day I'll put it on you tube.

Last edited by mahout; 03-13-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
CRX, RX-7, and Infiniti G35. If you can get the slowpokes out of the way its a ball. Its really fun at nite. There's a more vicious road not far from the Tail in NC thats more challenging. One day I'll put it on you tube.
The other road your talking about is the "Devil's Triangle", right? If so, its got its parts that look "fun", but we haven't made it out there yet as its about a days travel to get there and back, so we've gotta convince our group its worth the trip out there

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Fit does out there for sure, I really like this car....ALOT

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned
upgrade the suspension first

Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
The other road your talking about is the "Devil's Triangle", right? If so, its got its parts that look "fun", but we haven't made it out there yet as its about a days travel to get there and back, so we've gotta convince our group its worth the trip out there

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Fit does out there for sure, I really like this car....ALOT

No its not known to me as the Devil's triangle. The road I am speaking of is shorter but the maximum speed is 50 mph simply because it is the most toirtured piece of pavement I've driven. There are essentially no straights just all curves of varying radii that limit cornering to as little as 15 mph. In short, an autocross public road. My record was set with my s2RX-7 on race tires at 42 mph. I needed 5 minutes to recuperate from each run from the physical effort,
PS my lawyer says not to broadscast the location for fear of injury to inhabitants on the road from crazed drivers. he's right. Virtually all of it has no clearance because of jagged walls or sheer drop-offs of a hundred feet or more besides cabin doorsteps on the edge of the road. Not quite Isle of Mann but close and far more tortured,

Last edited by mahout; 04-03-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
I live about an hour and a half from the Dragon, fun road but too crowded now. Fit is fun on the Dragon stock.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
I live about an hour and a half from the Dragon, fun road but too crowded now. Fit is fun on the Dragon stock.
Thanks for the input, hopefully to can meet our group down there, we'd love to meet you and you'll find our group to be a good bunch of guys and gals, trust me and we've got no "hotdogs" in the group, so its all good! This isn't to say we're a bunch of "fun governors" either. One we prove our worth to you maybe you can show us this other road you speak of

Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Another road that you can turn onto from the Dragon is the Cherohala Skyway - Cherohala Skyway Robbinsville NC - Tellico Plains TN - highly recommended.

Few pics i've taken while on the dragon:

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I ran it in my E46 M3, I also ran a Cooper Works Mini. I think the Fit would be really fun. I am going to take my S2000 CR up there in a few weeks when I have a non autox weekend. May take the Fit after that.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Its just a road. My buddy drives it frequently in his F250.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon, has anyone run it in their Fit?