General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Looking to get a Fit, one big question though...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Looking to get a Fit, one big question though...

Will I fit? I'm 6'3, 230 pounds and want to get a car that I'll be comfortable in that will still get solid mileage. My sister has a 2000 Civic that doesn't quite offer enough headroom, and my girlfriend has an 05 Scion xB which is perfectly fine, though a little more room at the shoulders would be nice. I drove a friend's Kia Rio, and my biggest issue with that was the amount of room for my feet at the pedals. I wear a size 14, and any car with less than three pedals isn't something I'd want to bother driving, so I wasn't sure if there'd be enough room in the Fit in that regard, either.

I know the best way to see for sure would be simply to go and test drive one, but if I could get a more-or-less conclusive answer without having to deal with the hassle of pushy salesmen and finding a couple of hours to go out and do it, that would be just peachy.

If this all sounds like a jumbled mess I'm sorry, but I've had a small bout of the flu for the last couple of days, and am only semi-aware of what I'm typing.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
i have had several large people in my fit that were surprised at how comfy they were in such a small car....

Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
hahah welcome. I am 6'3" and I have a 2007 fit sport 5spd. I was 217 lbs at the time of purchase and I was fine. I do feel like a fish in an aquarium wile driving since window tint is apparently illegal in the great state of PA.. I fit fine though. Have you checked out a Honda Element? I had one of those and I felt small! I loved that thing..

Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
hahah welcome. I am 6'3" and I have a 2007 fit sport 5spd. I was 217 lbs at the time of purchase and I was fine. I do feel like a fish in an aquarium wile driving since window tint is apparently illegal in the great state of PA.. I fit fine though. Have you checked out a Honda Element? I had one of those and I felt small! I loved that thing..
That's amazing to hear.

I did take a look at the Element, but the mileage wasn't in the area I'm shooting for, so ultimately I ended up passing on that. The other cars I've been looking at is the Hyundai Elantra Touring, which is a little bit larger (significantly so in the cargo area), but a little less available in my price range, and the 2008-09 Taurus, but I've always loved hatches and wagons, so it's a distant third choice (if I found an amazing deal I'd probably swipe it up).

Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

I am a long legged 6"2' weight fluctuates from 205 to 230 and wear size 13 or 14 shoes and have owned a 2007 Fit since July 2006.... Head room is no problem and I could wear a high crowned cowboy hat if I was into costumes like that.... The seating is wide and roomy in width and even more so in the new model.... The foot room takes some adjusting to and some shoes are difficult to drive in, deck shoes and loafers aren't a problem at all but shoes that look big on my feet are sometimes inclined to be on 2 pedals at once so you have to be careful wearing hiking boots and the seat isn't high enough for wearing western boots with a tall heal but they don't present a width problem.... I think a traditional wing tip dress shoe or a rubber sole walking shoe like Nike, Reebock or New Balance makes are about as big a shoe I am comfortable driving long distances wearing. I am not sure if the new Fits have telescoping wheels but mine doesn't and that has me reaching way out to reach it when I have the seat all the way back and tilted to where I am most comfortable, I have a very screwed up back that causes chronic pain and it is on long out of town trips that I am bothered.. I need to see if a person I know will let me check out the seating in her car but I have been told that the new Fits have a little more room.... Hope the flu doesn't have you down for too long.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
try it out... you should be fine! I think the seat is a bit higher off the ground than a normal car is too, which will make getting in and out easier. Also, the sport comes with a telescoping steering wheel, where I can't remember if the base has that or not.

I think the versa offers a bit wider seat than the fit... but in no way do I feel like the fit's seat is narrow.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
My wife always comments about how much easier for me to get in and out of he Fit than her Forester.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Another question, now that I think about it - assuming you were going to buy again, which would you go with - GD Sport or GE base model? GE Sport will most likely be a little outside of my budget.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
GD sport.... cruise control is handy, it has a better stereo (2 extra speakers) and alloy rims....

Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
GD sport.... cruise control is handy, it has a better stereo (2 extra speakers) and alloy rims....
Good deal...

I think reading around today I'm pretty much set on the Fit, thanks guys!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I vote gd sport as well. I love mine and the crusie control and aux jack for the stereo are nice features.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
The Sport has the telescoping wheel and would allow the drivers seat to be more reclined without having to reach so far to reach the steering wheel..... If that was a retro fit for the GD3 I would have to have it in mine.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Test drive the Fit before making any decisions. Make sure that you don't have a bad back due to the Fit(GD) do not have a Lumbar Support.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Swedish built cars have the best seats but they are costly and have nothing like the Fit... I even hurt in the sportier Volvo models. I have found that Swift Mach springs deliver a better ride than the stock springs and they have made a big difference in comfort for me in my Fit .

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Swedish built cars have the best seats but they are costly and have nothing like the Fit... I even hurt in the sportier Volvo models. I have found that Swift Mach springs deliver a better ride than the stock springs and they have made a big difference in comfort for me in my Fit .
I'm with you as far as the back issues are concerned (surgery when I was 15), and likewise I've ridden in cars from a $150 Crown Vic to a $90,000 Benz, and plenty in between, and I've never found any seat that I would consider comfortable. I'm definitely going to test run one before I commit, but I'll keep those springs in mind if I do decide on this.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
At 240, 6' its much easier to get in and out of than my Miata

Its a good fit, very comfy.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
you will fit in just fine my bestfriend drives my car sometimes when we go out and he is 6'8 and he has never complained

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm only 5'8", but I have enough excess headroom to wear a 10 gallon hat, if that's any help.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I hve a friend whos 6'7" and 350 lbs he drove my fit and said he was comfy

Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
If cost is a concern, check with your insurance agent first to see what a fit will cost you. You might be not-pleasantly surprised...!

Another thing, if you really want a fit sport GE, i saw that some people got them at 15,xxx, so deals can be had unless you have a preference for a hard to get color or MT option, etc.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a Fit, one big question though...