General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is the Fit Sport better than the Fit Base?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Is the Fit Sport better than the Fit Base?

I am planning on buying a 2010 Honda Fit. I don't know a great deal about cars so I am openly confessing my ignorance. What's the difference between the Fit Base and the Fit Sport? They list all the features on the website but this is honestly gibberish to me.

Is the Sport a better car? Will I be losing out if I get the base instead? I am really confused. I put the links below to each models feature list. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Fit Base
2010 Honda Fit - Options and Pricing - Official Honda Web site

Fit Sport
2010 Honda Fit - Options and Pricing - Official Honda Web site

Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
i personally got the fit sport for looks.. AND ONLY looks.

according to the website it looks like the non sports are lighter and saves a bit more gas lol.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Sport u have paddle shifters if u go with auto and are a blast to drive all my other cars were stick I got an o9 base and I wish I got it stick check with ur insurance and see what the difference a month for a base and a sport is I woulda been charged 50$ a month more if I had a sport so that was my big deciding factor the sport is fun for the paddles but if u want stick anyway go with the base

Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Essentially, the Sport has more features than the base model, even beyond what can be added through accessories from the dealer. Two that quickly come to mind are: cruise control and remote-controlled door locks.

That said, the base model is still very well equipped, and mechanically they're identical enough that you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Unless you absolutely cannot live without some of the extras that come only on the Sport, the base model will save you some $$$.

Steve

Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Mine came with auto locks and cruse u can add after market for 400$

Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Get the sport for the money it is well worth it. The what !.5k more sport is? Not sure on this one as of late. Do not buy Nav however. Get a Cheap 100$ Garmin

Top Reasons to get sport.

1. Cruise Control
2. Ipod / USB stereo interface. Not just AUX
3. Fog Lights
4. Alloy Rims
5. Complete F,R,Side bodykit
6. Driver Side Armrest

Why the Auto beats manual
1. Better gas mileage due to gear ratio
2. Paddle shifters are there in case you feel like changing the gears yourself.

I purchases this car with these options because its not a real Sports car. Dont get me wrong I love a standard, and always have it. But for daily use I wanted an auto and it actually gets better MPG. Which is the whole basis for my purchase.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Dont you have to get the w/Navi model to get the paddle shifters and "stability control"? Ive been driving for over four decades without stability control and have not crashed a car or truck yet. I know, Im the older demographic a lot of you guys hate.

I went with the Base M/T.

With a manual trans I question the value of cruise control and I understand that the M/T Sport does not get the center armrest.

If you just have to get Orange or Purple, Sport is the only way to go. Base has grey-blue seats vs black for the Sport, a matter of taste, like paint color.

I prefer steelies vs alloys due to the harsh environments I regularly drive. Hubcaps come off when the snow chains go on and alloys I had on the Camry corroded badly over time. The Sport 16 inch tire size is rare, few choices and more expensive at replacement time.

I find the "spoiler" on most hatchbacks, including the Fiesta and Fit Sport rather odd looking, again a matter of taste. One friend had to replace the front bumper on his Sport with one from a Base due to it constantly scraping.

Last edited by nikita; 06-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I didn't even consider the base... The car is already dirt cheap - why not splurge for a few featured to make it more enjoyable. My theory is: if I'm so hard-up that the Sport is out of my pricerange, I may as well get a certified used instead.

My reason for buying mine: I wanted to get rd of my Element before gas prices shot up again, and C4C had cleared Cara that's wouldve been destined for used lots. Having been quite the prolific carwhore, I want a vehicle that I'll keep for a while, that could weather questionable energy prices, and last for years, WHILE ALSO not being so budget-level stripped-down that I dislike it before it's paid off.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
imo, if the additional features in the fit sport is valuable to you then yes the sort is better.

if you would rather spend the extra money else where due to budget constraints the fit base will be more appealing.

either ways both are frugal on gas and, i think are worth every penny.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think you have the fit lx in USA (we have it in Canada), they look pretty good imo with the civic hybrid/lx wheels.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by nikita
Dont you have to get the w/Navi model to get the paddle shifters and "stability control"? Ive been driving for over four decades without stability control and have not crashed a car or truck yet. I know, Im the older demographic a lot of you guys hate.
The paddle shifters are on the the Sport AT line, not just the Navi option. The Electronic Stability Control (which Honda calls Vehicle Stability Assist) is currently only on the Navi trim, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit all trim lines in 2011 and is legally mandated to reach all trim lines by 2012.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
I honestly think I would have been just as pleased with the base model since I drive a manual shift car and the front lip is always getting hung up on bumps and driveway entrances.... Either way everybody is going to change out wheels and other parts and end up removing a lot of what makes a Sport model what it is to make it look like something else.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I honestly think I would have been just as pleased with the base model since I drive a manual shift car and the front lip is always getting hung up on bumps and driveway entrances.... Either way everybody is going to change out wheels and other parts and end up removing a lot of what makes a Sport model what it is to make it look like something else.
???

I see probably 10-12 fits on the road each day. I have yet to see a single Fit in the wild with anything other than stock hubcaps or alloys.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
???

I see probably 10-12 fits on the road each day. I have yet to see a single Fit in the wild with anything other than stock hubcaps or alloys.
I seldom see any Fits but you are right because of the few I have seen only three or four weren't bone stock or base models..... I think I am seeing to many radical always changing cars here on Fit Freak.... The weird thing is that my car even though conservative in comparison to the way many cars here look gets a lot of looks and questions around here.... The way it runs and corners impresses a lot of people and has them laughing in surprise.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
People have already pointed out the differences.

I can only tell you the reasons I chose a sport over a base.

Keyless Entry, and Cruise Control were both options I wanted. The easiest way to obtain this was simply get the sport model.

With the wheels and the body styling the IMO the sport does look "sportier". It wasn't the #1 or even #2 factor, but it was a factor. I think The Sport model looks a little fancier and less econo-box.

I'm happy with my decision to get The Sport, but would also say that if Cruise Control and Keyless Entry aren't big priorities, The Base is perfectly acceptable. But when I thought of adding on CC, Keyless, Alloy Wheels,....it very quickly just became the better choice to simply get The Sport designation.

Although I would say 90% of the Sport designation is simply cosmetic. If you don't like it, and the few really tangible differences aren't justification enough? Go with Base.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
I don't think you have the fit lx in USA (we have it in Canada), they look pretty good imo with the civic hybrid/lx wheels.

Those wheels would look hot on my SSM sport!

Actually I would have considered that "LX" if it were available in the states. Typically honda equips the LX with all the basics I want (A/C, good sound system, keyless, cruice, pw/pl)

Last edited by jondotcom; 06-12-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kodos1
Is the Sport a better car?
Yes it is.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I bought the Sport for two reasons: Cruise control and the ability to plug in my iPod on long trips. I hate the spoiler, but it has holes under it, so I can't remove it permanantly. 30K miles later, I love my Fit.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Basically, this is a very personal question.
Intellichoice comparison

The 5 year ownership price is a calculation that includes cost of repairs and depreciation... it assumes that you sell the car after 5 years, as that seems to be how long most drivers keep a new car. That means that the externalities of owning a Fit vs. another make/model are calculated into one overall number for comparison.

The 5 year ownership costs for a Fit, vs comparably equipped competitors:
Fit Base: $23,336.00 ($25,679.00)
Fit Sport $25,117.00 ($26,959.00)
Fit Navi: $26,824.00 ($28,155.00)

The difference between the base and sport, over 5 years, is about $1700. Is that worthwhile for you, to add cruise, keyless entry, nicer wheels, sway-bars, iPod/USB connectivity, foglights, body farkles, etc? Put a price of what you'd be willing to pay for each of those items, plus installation. Call a shop and ask how much they'd cost. Choose which ones you could/couldn't live without. If your "must have" list passes $1700, get the Sport.

Interestingly, the Base is $2,343.00 less over 5 years than its competition, vs the Sport at $1,842.00 less. Overall, it is a better deal. Whether it's subjectively the best choice is completely up to you.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
These are the major differences...

Sport has alloy wheels, Base has steel wheels with hub-caps. Alloy wheels look better, are more lightweight, and add value to the car.

Sport has cruise control, Base does not. If you drive long distances, you will definitely want cruise control.

Sport comes with a 6 speaker stereo, Base only has 4 speakers. Both stereos are pretty weak, not a big selling point here.

Sport has a key-less entry system. Base does not.

Sport comes with I-Pod interface and USB cable for hooking up Mp3 players to the stereo. Base does not.

Sport automatic transmission has the option of paddle shifters on the steering wheels for a sportier driving experience. It allows you to shift as though it were a manual transmission without using a clutch.

Sport comes with upgraded body styling and aero components. Base looks dangerously close to a Chevy Aveo without these body components.
one more item...sport has anti-sway bars, which in my opinion is a safety item. All in all, I think the sport price differential is worth it.

Quick Reply: Is the Fit Sport better than the Fit Base?