General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Stress Crack in Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Stress Crack in Windshield

Well I finally found the first gremlin in my Fit. Was about to head off to work this morning and saw a stress crack on the lower drivers side of my windshield. There are no rock chips anywhere on my windshield let alone that area, so it must be a factory defect that caused this internal stress crack. Anyone else get this? I'm going down to my dealership first thing in the morning to get my windshield replaced under warranty or there will be hell to pay.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Exclamation

There is a TSB about some sealing issue around the front glass in some early NA released Fits.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Retired Moderator
just went to the dealership today...they found a chip the size of a pinhead along the drivers side of the windshield where my crack started. You can barely even see it and it is apparently the cause of this crack. Watch out for stone chips along the black part of the windshield, even a tiny tiny tiny pinhead sized chip will result in a big crack!! stupid windshield...

Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
are they fixing it? that sucks.. any pics so I know what to look for?

Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Seems like a few people on here are having windshield probs

Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
My Fit windshield just cracked this morning! I was on a secondary road not even going 30 mph. I heard a pop and wondered where it hit my windshield. About 20 minutes later I saw a long horizontal crack about 8" on the passenger side. I looked at the outside after I got to work. There was a rock chip from where it hit in the blackout trim area. My insurance co. sent Safelite to do a repair service. They may not be able to because it's a long horizontal crack. We'll see.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jrlnc
My insurance co. sent Safelite to do a repair service. They may not be able to because it's a long horizontal crack. We'll see.
Beware of Safelite. First off, they won't fix anything beyond 6". If your crack is longer, get someone who will fix bigger cracks, your insurance can't make you use Safelite. But also they suck big time. They came over to fix just a chip in my windshield and then the guy cracked it beyond repair. Safelite then hid behind the disclaimer on the back of the form saying they were not responsible for further unrepairable damage. They were very quick to offer to replace the windshield (2 week backorder) but I would have to pay them my deductible.

Someone else told me the exact same story about Safelite, he wouldn't use them again and chose to have another company replace it. I would've too but my insurance got involved and is making them pay half the deductible.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Master FitFreaker
damn that sucks man

Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i am going to check mine...i hope there is not a crack...

Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Safelite already came before I read this post. He attempted to repair it and it doesn't look that good. He said he had to drill another hole in the windshield on the other end from where the crack started. Darn - I thought I had to use them because of my insurance co. When I said something about the place where he drilled the hole (it looks like a rock chip!) he said it will fade out later. When I get home tonight I'm going to look at it really close. If I'm not happy with it, I'm calling my insurance and complain about them. I have a really sick feeling now.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
iam goin to check mine too! it gets hot here in TX and thoes stress cracks are a bitch

Old 06-13-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't mean to alarm you. He may have done a fine job, he obviously didn't break it more so that's a good sign. I've never had a windshield repaired so I can't say what it should end up looking like, but I've been told that it should look fine, not perfect, but definitely better than cracked.

And for those now worried about the stress crack, I think Illusive ended up having a rock chip afterall, not a defective windshield.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Stress crack 4 days after I took delivery

Took delivery on a Monday and Thursday Night there were no cracks when I parked it in the carport. Friday Morning there was a crack starting at the lower pass. side corner making its way accross the windshield. About a foot long.

First I called the dealer then I took it there. They even looked at it thru a microntascope to find a rock chip. I told them it's a stress crack not rocket science. They replaced the windshield (warranty).

You'll know if it happens. Don't have the picture anymore apparently.

I was told it must have been tied down too tightly when it was shipped over.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
oi, we just found a stress crack in our fit this morning. am taking it to the dealer at the end of the day to look at it. i've looked long and hard and the crack seems to be completely internal so i'm going to be awfully upset if they try to say it's from a rock!

hoping that they'll just replace it under warranty and this will never happen again.. *sighs*

Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 PM
i dont have any stress cracks yet but i have received a little battle damage from my I95 trips up and down the east coast. last i looked i had 4 small hits. apparently my windshield is a magnet when it comes to rocks. i know im gonna need a new windshield eventually cause one of them is in my direct line of site and it is anoying as all hell. the only good news is no hits in the black area yet.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Anyone looked up the price on a Fit windshield? I just did.
$540!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Gotta love all the crappy little rocks they put on our roads eh Illusive?

2 weeks ago my 1991 civic had a mint windshield and now it's cracked all the way across at the bottom from 1 rock hitting my windshield.

I feel your pain, how much does a Fit windshield go for anyway?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
$549!!! holy crap thats alot of money. thats almost enough for mugen seat covers. haha. im gonna wait until mine actually cracks before i buy a new one. the chips suck but not worth $549 to change. im kinda scared to get on the road later today to go back to georgia. every trip i get atleast one chip. i hate I95!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Thats list cost. I dont really know the price differences on those people that come to your house. Most insurance companies would probably want the car at Honda getting done though.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I got a crack from a rock within a few months of the car being brand new, rock flew off from a tractor trailer in front of me

Quick Reply: Stress Crack in Windshield