General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

what is the easiest way to get an ipod to work on the factory stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM
what is the easiest way to get an ipod to work on the factory stereo?

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere in the forums, but I can't seem to find it. I have an 08 Fit (the base not the sport), and I'm trying to find the easiest/cheapest way to get the ol' ipod to talk to my stereo. I was using one those FM transmitter doodads you plug into your outlet, but it hasnt really worked for me since I live in the city are there is a lack of empty stations. Overall, I'm going for practicality here. I don't care what it looks like, I don't have any fancypants audio stuff, etc. I am totally technology retarded, so this can't be a DIY project for me. Basically, I need some kind of device that I can plug in somewhere or that I can pay the nice man at the dealership or Best Buy to install for me. Any one have any suggestions on what to try or what to stay away from?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I believe there's an aux port so that you can just hook up your ipod using a cable that connects from that port to your headphones port.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Honestly get an aftermarket stereo. Thats what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm easy so you really just want a plug and play. Well the sport came with a Aux jack that was just that. But the base model does not have that. So in youre case i would just go to Best Buy and buy a new stereo that has a Aux jack on it that way its just plug it in and play and they can be had for cheap now

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
thanks everyone!

i was hoping to avoid the whole new unit idea, but it looks like that is going to be the best option. thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Isn't the headunit form base to sport the same? Only the aux. jack was left out of the console? I've never sat in a base so I don't know what the head unit looks like. If its the same unit you can pick up the cable and port from the dealership to have it set up like a sport.

Ninja edit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-base-fit.html

Last edited by gd3vbp; 07-06-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Yes i am sure he could do that. But i would think its cheaper to buy a new radio. I beleve the unit from the dealer ship is around $400.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
or you could find someone with a sport that got an aftermarket headunit and buy their stock headunit?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
^^ Yes i am sure he could do that. But i would think its cheaper to buy a new radio. I beleve the unit from the dealer ship is around $400.
Did you read that DIY at all or are you just pushing someone to spend money on a tacky aftermarket dash kit with poor fitment and coloring that doesn't match 100%?

Of the parts listed in that DIY but using the OEM aux. jack you'd only be spending $50 on parts tops.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that the sport and base have the same head unit and that the only difference is the aux jack hanging out down by the power outlet/faux cigarette lighter. I'd be fine with just buying parts to install the jack by itself, but since I'd have to pay someone to install it, would it be as cost effective?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Did you read that DIY at all or are you just pushing someone to spend money on a tacky aftermarket dash kit with poor fitment and coloring that doesn't match 100%?

Of the parts listed in that DIY but using the OEM aux. jack you'd only be spending $50 on parts tops.
No i did not read the DIY. Why would i read it i have a sport. But i would say i thought u would have to buy the aux jack. I thought the base did not come with the jack at all. So yes that is a cheap way but if the OP was not wanting to drill into his car he would have to pay some one to do it. So it still might be cheaper to go aftermarket. Now i would say i don't hate aftermarket units but i would not change mine out for one ethier inless i had a base Fit. But im not pushing any one into any thing its the OP's money i just gave him another avenue to take. Do u see that you gave him one option and i gave him another option to take. And some one else suggeted that he try to buy a used one from some one on here. All are good choices but its up to the owner not any of us. Hopes this helps the OP thats what we should try to do not try to shoot down some one elses suggestion.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by theetinygoat
I'm pretty sure that the sport and base have the same head unit and that the only difference is the aux jack hanging out down by the power outlet/faux cigarette lighter. I'd be fine with just buying parts to install the jack by itself, but since I'd have to pay someone to install it, would it be as cost effective?
You should be able to find someone local on this board that might be able to do it for the small price of a 6 pack if you buy all the parts. Or if you happen to know anyone thats remotely handy with cars/wiring. If I lived closer I'd do it for you.

Originally Posted by 08fithappy
No i did not read the DIY. Why would i read it i have a sport. But i would say i thought u would have to buy the aux jack. I thought the base did not come with the jack at all. So yes that is a cheap way but if the OP was not wanting to drill into his car he would have to pay some one to do it. So it still might be cheaper to go aftermarket. Now i would say i don't hate aftermarket units but i would not change mine out for one ethier inless i had a base Fit. But im not pushing any one into any thing its the OP's money i just gave him another avenue to take. Do u see that you gave him one option and i gave him another option to take. And some one else suggeted that he try to buy a used one from some one on here. All are good choices but its up to the owner not any of us. Hopes this helps the OP thats what we should try to do not try to shoot down some one elses suggestion.
Just saying, you were telling him aftermarket was the cheaper option than following a DIY, when if you take 2 seconds to look at the DIY its probably 1/6 the cost of going with an aftermarket headunit.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Aww damn... I was thinking about the ge head unit where the aux is on the actual stereo. Well I hope you can figure it out.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 AM
I think there's some FM transmitter that can ensure you have empty stations. I saw them somewhere. Quality willnot be good as AUX in.
Personally, I wouldn't try putting an aftermaket audio in because they can look awful and I may regret it.
But a DIY Aux in can take time. 3-5 hours for the unexperienced, plus 1-2 hours on research and part buying.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM
yeah, im so iffy on the aftermarkets, since the fit head unit is big and takes up the entire center thing. i cant imagine anything else there.

i'll probably start asking around and hope that i can find someone who will do the diy for me!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
How about the Honda accessory to add USA Spec brand iPod/MP3 Interface to stock radio here and have it installed by a stereo shop? Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories

Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Go to Amazon.com and SPEND $ 1.73 for: IT TRULY WORKS GREAT!!!
Apple iPod MP3 Car Audio Auxiliary Retractable Cable 3.5mm

Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by mandameares
Go to Amazon.com and SPEND $ 1.73 for: IT TRULY WORKS GREAT!!!
Apple iPod MP3 Car Audio Auxiliary Retractable Cable 3.5mm
glad to see you got your failboating liscence.
the OP doesnt have an aux port, to think that someone would post asking how to hook an ipod up to the fit, and they had an aux jack. would also be as fail. sorry i found this funny

Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Sorry about that...I realized after the fact that the 08 didn't come with the aux jack. Happily my 2010 did. Don't know what failboating is but---yeah, the picture came out a little bit HUGE. I'm just so excited that I got such a cheap way to play my IPOD without the whole USB thing. OH well!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bohemian
How about the Honda accessory to add USA Spec brand iPod/MP3 Interface to stock radio here and have it installed by a stereo shop? Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories
You can install this unit without pulling the HU. It plugs into the CD changer port on the back of your Base Fit HU. I know because I did it and posted it here - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...er-socket.html

Read all about it

Quick Reply: what is the easiest way to get an ipod to work on the factory stereo?