General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Going to Memphis...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Going to Memphis...

We're going to Memphis to meet some friends next weekend. It's about 500 miles or so from here.

We went to Boston last summer and got a lot of good advice about places to eat and things to do and see from Massachusetts FitFreaks.

How about it? We like cold beer and hot barbecue. Warm weather and cool jazz. Anything going on in Memphis?

Cheers.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
If you were going to Nashville, visit the bus tour called NASH TRASH - hilarious.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't it a requirement to visit Graceland? I mean, Elvis' home is practically a shrine.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Isn't it a requirement to visit Graceland? I mean, Elvis' home is practically a shrine.
Dear Uncle Gary,
Visiting with friends is the excuse to go. Graceland is the real reason. I've been there before:

I really loved the place and am dragging my patient spouse back there again. Here's the thing, though. Graceland is a Cadillac kind of place. I'm not sure about the Fit. Would that be sacrilege?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some Memphis ideas.

Cheers.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
There is always a walk down Beale.... As far as BBQ, there is the germantown commissary (good bbq, decent price) and the famous Rendezvous (good bbq, big price). As far as cold beer the walk down Beale should bring some decent places up.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. The last time I was in Memphis we wound up eating in the touristy places and missed any really good barbecue.

Cheers.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 PM
FIT's love Elvis and Elvis loves FIT's - I saw him driving one the other day. Do Graceland he was saying

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
FIT's love Elvis and Elvis loves FIT's - I saw him driving one the other day. Do Graceland he was saying
I'll give Elvis your regards. Maybe get a snapshot next to the Fit.

Cheers.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
A great day of blues and barbecue!

Memphis is a great town to visit. It's easy to get around and traffic isn't too bad, at least on a Saturday. Our trip down was easy and cheap--we got almost forty mpg. One of the great advantages of the Fit is that you can make long trips (about 500 miles each way for us) and spend very little money on gas and maintenance.

We went to the Memphis Farmers Market this morning and bought fresh bread, cheese, fruits, and vegetables for lunch. Stopped by a liquor store for a bottle of wine, and went to the park by the visitor center and had a great picnic by the river.

Then we went to Beale Street. There is live music up and down the street. We got tired and ducked into BB King's for Cokes and to listen to some blues.

These guys were the real thing.

We went to the Bar B Cue Shack for supper. It was a great Fit day. Nothing like navi to get you around a strange town.

Cheers.