General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Interior Functionality (Cargo) - GD and GE

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Interior Functionality (Cargo) - GD and GE

I'm sure this has been discussed, but haven't been able to locate a thread covering the differences.

I'm just basically looking for people that have extensive experiences with GD and GE models that can tell me if one is better than the other, or if there is even a difference at all. After many years of looking at them, I might be finally able to purchase one. However, still deciding between the two. (I am still having a hard time letting go of my trusty GSR coupe. But family first!)

I do not care about the aesthetics of the interior---just the functionality of it. If the GE is much bigger, can hold much more things and is more versatile, I'd rather go that route. But if no real difference, I'd rather get the GD.

Thanks for any input. Again, apologize if this has been discussed before.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Here's the full specifications of both model year. Open and compare.

GD3(2007-2008 USDM Fit)
2008 Honda Fit - Specifications - Honda.com

GE8(2009+ USDM Fit)
2010 Honda Fit Specifications and Features - Honda.com

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Looks like the GE8's is a little bigger but not much while the GD3's have the so-called "Refresh Mode" and the GE8's do not have. If you're going to ask what is refresh mode, the picture is below. You can configure the seat(s) to be bed-like. This feature was removed from the present generation.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, Black. Sometimes, the info on paper don't translate to real world usable stats. (i.e. My Toyota Tacoma's 5' bed seems TINY on paper, but in real life, it's very useful and plenty of space for most daily duties).

Seems like both would be very close.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes they should be close as far as the cargo use. I also read that the seat in the GE8's are more comfortable compared to the GD3's(I have not been in the GE8 and my GD3 seats worked fine for me). I also read in this forum that the handling of the GD3's is more nimble compared to the GE8's. I would suggest that you should test drive both, take it through turns and highway then make your decision.

Last edited by Black01; 08-13-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 AM
It will probably have to come down to a test drive for you. Both cars are pretty similar besides how they look inside and out. I havent been in a ge8 either, but ive heard they were slightly more comfortable and had a little more room. But the GD is supposed to handle a little better. As far as actual cargo space, I dont think either one would have a drastic advantage over the other.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
If you plan run with the back seats flat in cargo mode a lot, I think on the GD3 you have to remove the rear seat head restraints and stash them somewhere. On the GE8, they slide down into the seat while staying attached. Also, the GE8 cargo floor (with seats flat) has a slight step where the seat backs hinge, covered by a little panel that forms a ramp. I don't know if the GD3 cargo floor is perhaps truly flat. That may not matter to you anyway.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I've actually test driven them, but I didn't bring a truck load of cargo to see how they'd fit in both cars

Ultra - Thanks for that. Although that's not that big of a deal to me, unless it intrudes with actual usable space. If they both can fit equal amount of stuff, little things like that won't bother me. I did hear that they widened the hatch opening for the GE, which on paper, would seem like a big advantage for the GE. But maybe not in real life.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Honda Fit and one of the things I like about it best is the functionality and configurability for cargo space.

I think both generations of Fit are pretty advantageous in this area. I think as revealed there are slight differences. But IMO probably not great enough to warrant getting one over the other....you say:

"If the GE is much bigger, can hold much more things and is more versatile, I'd rather go that route. But if no real difference, I'd rather get the GD."

Well there are some differences but no real BIG differences. So get the one you like best. Both are versatile.

I love my 2010 and wouldn't change it's purchase. BUT I was disapointed when I found out the "refresh mode" did not carry over to this generation. Who know's if or when I may or maynot of used that particular configuration. But I was looking forward to long drives and stretching out at rest stops. But even in that area The Fits seats recline almost flat if wanted, and IMO it's a comfortable vehicle to come to a stop in, and rest.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
If you plan run with the back seats flat in cargo mode a lot, I think on the GD3 you have to remove the rear seat head restraints and stash them somewhere. On the GE8, they slide down into the seat while staying attached. Also, the GE8 cargo floor (with seats flat) has a slight step where the seat backs hinge, covered by a little panel that forms a ramp. I don't know if the GD3 cargo floor is perhaps truly flat. That may not matter to you anyway.
The GD3 floor is flat when rear seat's are folded down and do not need extra flap to cover gaps because I don't remember seeing any gap. Also you don't have to remove the GD3 back seat headrest, you'll just need to push the front seats forward then lay the rear seats down and then you can put the front seats to its original position after configuring the rear seats.

Also the GE8 rear seat has a compartment for little things(picture below), the engine is also a little bit more powerful but not by much and some of the aftermarket parts is cheaper compare to the GD3(example: OEM Door visors).

To the OP: If you're shopping for a brand new car, financially stable and you don't care about the refresh mode. I would suggest that you go with the GE8 since the styling and interior is fresh and its resale value will be higher. But of course that's just my honest opinion.

Last edited by Black01; 08-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by p nut
I've actually test driven them, but I didn't bring a truck load of cargo to see how they'd fit in both cars
So which one did you like better at your test drive? I have not driven a GE8 and don't know how it handles.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
BUT I was disapointed when I found out the "refresh mode" did not carry over to this generation. Who know's if or when I may or maynot of used that particular configuration. But I was looking forward to long drives and stretching out at rest stops. But even in that area The Fits seats recline almost flat if wanted, and IMO it's a comfortable vehicle to come to a stop in, and rest.
That's actually one of my reason when I bought my fit, the refresh mode is awsome and I have actually use it many times.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I've had both. The GE takes the cake, hands down in this battle.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
That's actually one of my reason when I bought my fit, the refresh mode is awsome and I have actually use it many times.
Yep, I'm jealous. I wish it refresh mode had stayed.

I wonder if Honda dropped it out of fear of idiots trying to drive with the vehicle in that configuration? If so, once again fear of idiocy and potential lawsuits ruin it for everyone.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments. So seems like a toss up.

hondaFORlife - I wish you'd expound on your thoughts.

Black - Both were fun to drive. The GD felt lighter/more nimble. GE was more comfortable. I liked the gauges on the GD better, but liked the climate control, etc better on GE. It was kind of like when I test drove an RSX then got back into my Integra. People have their preferences on performance/comfort/value, so there is no clear winner. For ME, I did like the feeling in the GD better, but that's due to having this GSR, having owned an ITR, S2k, etc.

As far as finances go, I hate car loans (or debt in general) and fortunately have none right now. I'd like to pay cash for the Fit, which obviously, it would be better to get a cheaper used GD. I'm trying to decide if the GE is worth the extra few grand. More I research, more I'm convinced it's not worth it.

Last edited by p nut; 08-13-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
The GD felt lighter/more nimble.
+
For ME, I did like the feeling in the GD better, but that's due to having this GSR, having owned an ITR, S2k, etc.
I think you've pretty much made up your mind there.

I personally chose not to buy a used GD. I mean it wasn't even an option, and that was mostly because I didn't like the looks of it. But that's a personal opinion.

You appear to be looking more for "performance" and handling than cargo room. Not that the GE has much more room, only a few cubic feet. Going with the GD, if you do performance upgrades, you currently have more options (turbo?)

The only real thing I can say that might convince you to go with a GE... requires $$$.

I mean, a short test drive is great for some performance feel. But you need a longer term test to "feel" the car out. 15-20 minutes in either car won't tell you how comfortable you'll be in 2-3 hours. If you rent each car for a week and use it like you would've your own... that should give a better feel.

But, like I said... seems like you've made up your mind. Aside from the look, I don't think negatively of the GD. If its a better financial decision and appeals more in categories (performance/handling) that might be a higher priority for you, then, there you go.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Goobers. Actually, I might have sent some mixed signals. I do like the performance aspect in automobiles, but with Fits, it's probably 4th or 5th item on the priority list. I will not be pursuing making this into a track car or a performance car of any sort. If that were the case, I'd happily keep my GSR or search for another ITR. The most important thing on my next purchase is utilitarian function. Cargo space will be key, as hauling people, bikes, etc. has become a little cumbersome in the 2 door GSR. With a wife and kid, it makes more sense to have a 4 door car (although our SUV is used in most cases, but nice to have another option).

So this move is totally based on practicality. Either gen Fit will do just fine, I believe. I was just merely trying to see how much better the GE was, if at all. I'd definitely love to have a new car with the newest gizmo's, but not if it means shelling out few grand more.

That said, I'd really love to rent these cars for a week to see how they do. But no rental places have these around here.

Also, side note: anybody here drive a GSR/Prelude or just a car with more power prior to the Fit? I'm a little nervous about dropping 50-60 HP. Though I hardly hit the higher RPM's these days, it's nice to have that power when passing, merging, etc.

Last edited by p nut; 08-13-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Like already mentioned, the GE is bigger on the outside making it bigger on the inside (a few cubic ft). Has a little more HP, but doesn't translate like we'd hope. And that engine is a little less efficient than the older GD engine.

As for passing... well, I suppose I just don't drive as quickly as some of you, but I find that dropping a gear and then gassing it, passes fast enough for me. I know some folks don't like downshifting to pass, but I thought it was a normal thing, even before I got the Fit. *shrug*

I really wish there was a way to get some track time without paying more than $50 or so. I want to see if I have any skills at all at driving a stick.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Also, side note: anybody here drive a GSR/Prelude or just a car with more power prior to the Fit? I'm a little nervous about dropping 50-60 HP. Though I hardly hit the higher RPM's these days, it's nice to have that power when passing, merging, etc.
The GD has substantial power to get up to the speed you wanted. Sometimes I don't even notice that I am in a small car. Just make sure when you go for the GD is to check it thoroughly because you don't know if the previous owner abused it. I would suggest another test drive for about 15-20 minutes in the GD3. Also consider looking at the Yaris or Scion XD(and XB) before making a decision on the Fit, I believe these cars are cheaper than the Fit and also as reliable.

Last edited by Black01; 08-13-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Like already mentioned, the GE is bigger on the outside making it bigger on the inside (a few cubic ft). Has a little more HP, but doesn't translate like we'd hope. And that engine is a little less efficient than the older GD engine.
The difference between the GD3 and GE8 as far as the cubic feet is less than a cubic feet. The GD3 has actually the advantage in cargo space when the seats are up with 21.3cu. ft. compare to the GE8's 20.6 cu. ft., while when the seats are down its 56.8 for the GD3 and 57.3 for the GE8 which leaves only .5 cu. ft. advantage for the GE8.

GD3
Cargo Volume (cu ft. seat up/down) 21.3 / 56.821.3 / 56.8

GE8
Cargo Volume (cu ft, seat up/down) 20.6 / 57.320.6 /57.3

Quick Reply: Interior Functionality (Cargo) - GD and GE