General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Road Trip with the Fit- Advise/reminiscing thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Lightbulb Road Trip with the Fit- Advise/reminiscing thread

Hello everybody,

Since getting my Shiny new Taffeta white 2010 Fit Sport last Wednesday, the driving I have done in it has been mostly standard fair- commuting, a few friend’s houses to show it off, and a small 1.5 hour hike to help an old friend move. In these early tests it has met and surpassed my expectations beautifully, but one of the things I was really excited about when I got this car was its high MPG/versatility ratio and what that could mean for a good old fashion road trip.

And that first big road trip is coming up! In November my wife and I will be trekking it from New Hampshire down to Florida in hopes of witnessing first hand one of the last Space Shuttle launches in history.
I’m hoping this thread will serve a few purposes. Firstly, I’d like to hear your opinions on sleeping in the fit and the different ways you resourceful FitFreak members have gone about doing that (pics of your setup would be awesome too, if you have any). We’ll probably be getting a hotel at least once, but my wife is up for an adventure (one of the many reasons I married her) so we are thinking about roughing it in the car at least one time just for the coolness of it. Depending on the weather, I was also thinking about leaving the hatch open as a kind of awning, with maybe a tarp for light weather + privacy… not sure if anyone has done anything like that before or not, but if you have I’d love to hear their opinions on how it went.

Secondly, I’m wondering what kinds of prep work you’d recommend before a long trip like this. I’ve loaded up some tunes onto a USB stick and I’ll check the basic fluids, but beyond that anything else I should be doing with the car? I’ve read something about the AC condenser being terribly vulnerable and not covered under warranty, but after searching the forum, I could never find the thread for the oft-referred-to fix. If one of the more experienced hands on the board could point me in the right direction, I’d be much obliged.

Anything else that comes to your mind that you think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated. And lastly, I’d like this thread to be a place to share any your memories, fond or otherwise, about road tripping/camping in your fit!

I’m sure I’m not the first member to take one, so let’s hear about it!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I went to florida in my old/wife's car, and then another trip to NC. the roads are relatively goood along I95, traffic is a killer in the DC area (and dont forget radar detectors are illegal there lol). I hiked it like 95% of the way before i needed a nap. didnt really need to pack much food, but def had some cold drinks (SF red bull was a saver).

i picked this up for use later, i had the TPMS come on during a commute. i figure in the long run this would save me some head aches and hassles (though i havent used it just yet)

Tire Top Off (40020) - Fixing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

also, hit up food network/travel channel website (diners drive-in's and dives for one, man vs food for another) and grab all the good stuff near and along I95.

My uncle also recommended me to swap the air in my tires on the way back, rotate if possible.

other than that, you should be set on a nice trip.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Have fun!

Here's a few links concerning A/C condenser protection:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...iy-photos.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...y-new-fit.html

In Saturn's Shadow - the Pale Blue Dot (NASA Cassini Saturn Mission Images)

Consider protecting the foglights as well.

Sleeping in the car is fun!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
have you considered camping? You have plenty of time to find a tent and an airmatress on sale- you should be able to get both for under $80. Most campgrounds have showers (bring your flip flops, makes for a more comfortable experience!), and you can research before you leave which ones will be open that time of year, and shop around for rates.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Getting on the cape to observe a launch takes considerable effort.

Post 9/11 you have to go with a tour company and take a bus out there. It's expensive and time consuming. And the launch may not go off. Looks like they held a lottery to sell tickets for the next launch (November)

As an alternative you can stay in Titusville to watch the launch, but it's miles away.

This site has more information.

Sorry, no advice on sleeping in the car. There's a lot to be said for a nice mattress and plumbing.

Condenser is no more vulnerable than any other car on the road (take a look out in the parking lot).

Basic fluids? Pack a cooler and go!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Here's 2 DIYs of Condenser protection, and one pic of an amazing shuttle launch at night!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...sh-grille.html

This one is about $8, so it's super cheap:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/679273-post125.html

The launch of STS130:
APOD: 2010 February 13 - Waterway to Orbit

Camping is cool, and the facilities are convenient, but there is a PRIMAL experience to roughing it in the car, on the road. Have a great trip!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
I have some of that black-mesh from McMaster-Carr left over for the A/C condenser DIY, if you'd like it, I have 2-rolls each one is plenty for one car, just PM me.

I haven't slept in my Fit as of yet, but I blew up my Big Agnes Air core and layed it in the back with the drivers seat leaned forward and pushed up as far up as it could go. I had to squish it in there a little (it's 6' long), but I'm sure I could sleep on it as I'm only 5'-9".

If you want to avoid some traffic and hassles, don't take I95. Take I84 west in Conn, over to I81 South in Penn, then you'll hook up with I77 South in Virginia, then onto I26 in SC and then hook up with I95 in SC. This way only adds maybe an hour or two vs I95. But it is rarely used except by truckers. It avoids most of the northeast megalopolis. And it's more scenic as you are driving through some of Appalachia.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies so far!

@Punisher11 Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into that TPMS thing. Also, good thing you mentioned the radar detectors and Virgina. I was hoping to have a Valentine 1 by then, so I'll have to keep this in mind...

@redsun: Those links are exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't thought about the fog lights. Can you elaborate? I didn't think they were more fragile then the regular lights. Also, great pic. Both my wife and myself couldn't help but mutter a quiet "...Wow." when we saw it.

@shegetstodriveit I am considering camping, totally. The idea is that we are leaving a lot of it open ended for the adventure prospects. Also, I love your name. It made me smile.

@Steve244 Thank you for that very critical information. Looks like the lottery entrant period for STS-133 is already closed. So, Titusville is going to be our backup but I’m putting out some feelers with my friends and family to see if they know anyone in the Florida area that we can call in a favor with. I’d write up my senators but I don’t like any of them… We’ll see how it goes. In any event, you lit a fire under me that needed to be lit, so thank you.

@LeafEater: Thanks for the offer- I’m going to check with my parents if I go the DIY route first since I think they might have a good amount of mesh left from rigging up a chicken coop, but if I still need some I’ll let you know. I think I like that route. I just told my co-worker I was going to see the launch and he goes “Oh, I got the perfect route for you, trust me on this.” and when he came over to show me it was the exact same one you suggested.

Sleeping in the fit- I was initially thinking of just laying down in the flat bed of the Fit with some blankets but I think you are all on to something with the air mattress, lol. I tried it yesterday and the floor seems really uneven and sketchy with out something to spread the weigh out across the whole area. Anyone have any experience using a wider (i.e.: two person ) inflatable mattress?

So- question regarding the AC condenser. Is it not covered even by the bumper to bumper on the vehicle? Because I only have 4K on this car so I’ll still be under the full warranty for this trip.

Also, I’d still love to hear more firsthand stories about road tripping in the Fit. It doesn’t have to be Florida specific, just any crazy anecdotes to keep my gears turning!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
The A/C condenser is covered under the 3yr/36k warranty. But as it's exposed to road debris, a rock could hit it and damage it. It's questionable if they'll cover it due to rock damage.. kind of a grey area.

not sure you'd want to use metal meshing there.. it could oxidize. plus you'd want the mesh squares to be rather small so rocks won't find their way through. I think the McMaster-Carr mesh has .25x.25 squares.

the bed in the Fit isn't exactly flat, when the seats are laying flat, they're elevated slightly higher than the trunk floor (maybe an inch or so) So that is why an air mattress would be beneficial.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zed Fable

Sleeping in the fit- I was initially thinking of just laying down in the flat bed of the Fit with some blankets but I think you are all on to something with the air mattress, lol. I tried it yesterday and the floor seems really uneven and sketchy with out something to spread the weigh out across the whole area. Anyone have any experience using a wider (i.e.: two person ) inflatable mattress?
yes, and double wide sleeping bags. Get a small inflator powered by 12v (they sell them at auto and marine supply stores). It's useful for inflating or sucking out the air. Or get a hand pump.

Originally Posted by Zed Fable
So- question regarding the AC condenser. Is it not covered even by the bumper to bumper on the vehicle? Because I only have 4K on this car so I’ll still be under the full warranty for this trip.
road damage is covered under your comprehensive insurance (less deductible). Seriously, the Fit's condenser isn't any more exposed than 80% of the cars on the road. People are more aware of it perhaps because it's not painted black (you see the aluminum coil there and it just begs to be disguised). Last Honda I owned ('97 Odyssey) went 225k miles with the same gaping maw in front. No condenser issues. Putting a screen over it may reduce airflow and make it less efficient, but that's just me...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Since you'll be in that area, if you have time to visit:
-St. Augustine is pretty, lot's of history.
-Daytona beach is touristy, but it's fun to drive on the beach!
-Orlando is only about an hour from there, endless amounts of things to do in Orlando.
-Lots of Springs in & around Ocala National forest for some swimming or Kayaking.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeafEater
-Lots of Springs in & around Ocala National forest for some swimming or Kayaking.
I have fond memories of floating down the Ichetucknee. Take a mask and snorkel. It's like you're in someone's tropical aquarium. Only bigger.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I have fond memories of floating down the Ichetucknee. Take a mask and snorkel. It's like you're in someone's tropical aquarium. Only bigger.
Ichetucknee is great, one of my favorite spring fed rivers.. and I've been to a lot of them, Rainbow, Silver Springs, Weeki Wachee, Wakeiva, Wakulla, Juniper. etc.. I always go kayaking though.. not sure I'd enjoy snorkeling w/the gators

Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Went cave diving once with some people out of Orlando. We did Silver Springs, Manatee Springs, Jenny Springs (discovered the true meaning of claustrophobia), and some others I can't remember. A few sink holes too (Forty Fathom Sink). The sinkholes had a lot of cars at the bottom. Didn't see any gators.

The Ichetucknee float was the best part of the trip.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
yeah I'll never go to jenny or ginny springs.. (however you spell it) I've heard so many bad things about that place. plus it's really expensive, because it's all privately owned.. rather give my money to the state parks than the greedy person that owns that place.

I've seen Gators in a couple spring fed rivers, still haven't seen the wild monkeys at Silver Springs

Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at the websites for some of the springs it seems like fairly nice camping. I might save the "roughing it" adventure for Florida and stay at Motel 6 on the road down there. Avoid KOA and the like (they cater to giant RVs, tenters are an afterthought). The state park campgrounds look nice. Might need reservations even for a tent site (have no idea). Personally the idea of camping with other people and their kids, noise, etc a few feet away is a turnoff but the state parks mitigate this (fewer people, bigger sites).

A real road trip involves Rt 66 and takes you out west. NE to FL is just a commute. Think big!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Try to take the Blue Ridge Parkway for some of it. Now that's a road.

Google map link Zoom in on the area with all the dots (I rerouted google just a tad). Place the little stick man on the map so you can see a googlecar view. Lot's of twisties. Allow a couple extra days.

Parkway link

Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Try to take the Blue Ridge Parkway for some of it. Now that's a road.

Google map link Zoom in on the area with all the dots (I rerouted google just a tad). Place the little stick man on the map so you can see a googlecar view. Lot's of twisties. Allow a couple extra days.

Parkway link
Thats a great road, hope to do the whole thing some day.

The Cherohala Skyway is also pretty awesome.. not nearly as long as the blue ridge

Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
That looks great. Wish I would take a couple weeks and just go explore. There's some good stuff just beyond my backyard.

Can't see anything from the interstates.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a thread about foglight protection:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ght-glass.html

Personally, I'd worry more about ruining my A/C condenser.

Also, another pic from Canyonlands National Park in Utah... How about a slight detour?

APOD: 2008 September 29 - A True Image from False Kiva

Well, OK, be that way...

Quick Reply: Road Trip with the Fit- Advise/reminiscing thread