General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Magic Seats with Cargo Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Magic Seats with Cargo Cover Question

I got a cargo cover the week after I bought my Fit. I don't use the magic seats that often but I was wondering if I can put the seats down without completely removing the cargo cover. I know the cargo cover retracts, but I'm not sure if I need to take it out to put the seats down.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Thanks for the info...

Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by switchbrdopr
I got a cargo cover the week after I bought my Fit. I don't use the magic seats that often but I was wondering if I can put the seats down without completely removing the cargo cover. I know the cargo cover retracts, but I'm not sure if I need to take it out to put the seats down.
If need be, the cargo cover is easily removed - seems like I take mine out about every other day!!!

To answer your question - No. The magic seats can do all positions with the cargo cover in place.

I've taken mine out to haul:
- 32" TV
- lawn mower (three times)
- a bunch of stuff that I purchased at work
- a bunch of empty boxes
- a desk
- two different TV stands
- large tool box (it is tall)

I've had my cargo cover out twice TODAY!!!

I've used the magic seats in every configuration so far (except that I haven't had the opportunity to try out dirty mode yet....)

Old 06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
You don't have to, cuz they're mounted to the side of the car, not the back of the chairs. This also means you can recline or decline the chairs w/o affecting the cargo cover

Like the poster above says, if yu need to remove it (i.e. carry a large object in trunk) it's easy. If you know how to replace toilet paper roll in the bathroom, u'll know how to remove and put back the cargo cover.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Gordio
If you know how to replace toilet paper roll in the bathroom, u'll know how to remove and put back the cargo cover.
Best instructions ever.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Is it sturdy enough that it can be tossed lengthwise into the back alongside whatever cargo you're hauling?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Cool. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wyy183
I've taken mine out to haul:
- 32" TV
- lawn mower (three times)
- a bunch of stuff that I purchased at work
- a bunch of empty boxes
- a desk
- two different TV stands
- large tool box (it is tall)
And you wonder why I almost describe the Fit as the Costco mom car.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
And you wonder why I almost describe the Fit as the Costco mom car.
lol don't hate! i helped my mom bring the groceries after shopping at costco. we packed $600 in groceries in the back :P. and with 3 people in the car :P

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Anyone else notice a gap between the magic seat seatback and the cargo cover? We don't have our windows tinted and we got the cargo cover to stop prying eyes from the packages we have in the trunk when shopping. Seems like that gap is big enough that you could still tell if shopping bags were in there.

Does the magic seat recline to close the gap? (Sorry, we've only had the car a week and I haven't read the manual yet).

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Anyone else notice a gap between the magic seat seatback and the cargo cover? We don't have our windows tinted and we got the cargo cover to stop prying eyes from the packages we have in the trunk when shopping. Seems like that gap is big enough that you could still tell if shopping bags were in there.

Does the magic seat recline to close the gap? (Sorry, we've only had the car a week and I haven't read the manual yet).
Yup, the seats recline to cover the gap.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Hah! Tried this after work today. This little car surprises me every day. I've never seen a car with a reclining rear seat in this price bracket before! Props to Honda in a big way.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm glad somebody mentioned the gap between the rear seats and the cargo cover. Seems to me they should have made it to completely hide the cargo area without having to recline the seats.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TomPer
I'm glad somebody mentioned the gap between the rear seats and the cargo cover. Seems to me they should have made it to completely hide the cargo area without having to recline the seats.
Well if that's the case, then what's the point of having the reclining seat if it will impede with the cargo cover?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
cargo cover still leaves gap

After installing my new cargo cover, and reclining the back seats, there is still almost a 1" gap between the seats and the cover, and almost a 1/2" gap between the cover and the rear window, plenty of room to see anything that I may want to cover. Illusive says the seats recline to cover the gap, but I don't consider a 1" gap covered. Why would I want to pay $120 for this, why not just cover my stuff with a towel? Does anyone else see the ineffectiveness of this cover? I'm also wondering if they sent me the cover for the wrong year. When I ordered it, it said it was for a 2007-2008 Fit, the instructions say 2007 Fit (I have a 2008).

I will be calling the folks who sold it to me, but I'm wondering what others think of the gaps this cover leaves?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
by design!

Originally Posted by giant squid
After installing my new cargo cover, and reclining the back seats, there is still almost a 1" gap between the seats and the cover, and almost a 1/2" gap between the cover and the rear window, plenty of room to see anything that I may want to cover. Illusive says the seats recline to cover the gap, but I don't consider a 1" gap covered. Why would I want to pay $120 for this, why not just cover my stuff with a towel? Does anyone else see the ineffectiveness of this cover? I'm also wondering if they sent me the cover for the wrong year. When I ordered it, it said it was for a 2007-2008 Fit, the instructions say 2007 Fit (I have a 2008).

I will be calling the folks who sold it to me, but I'm wondering what others think of the gaps this cover leaves?
That's not a design flaw. That slight reclining ability of the rear seats is requirement of the "magic seats". If the cargo cover didn't include that gap then you'd have to remove it before using all the "magic seats" functionality. Having the "swiss army knife" of cars will require some sacrifices in some areas. I don't own the cargo cover and think the "magic seats" are pretty darn cool but nothing's perfect!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by giant squid

Mine doesnt leave much of a gap.
Keep in mind the rear seats have two settings...upright and reclined. When you reset from foldign yourseats down, you must lift up the tab one more time to let the seat recline completely back. THat closes the gap.
I dont know about the gap between the hatch though. all my gaps are pretty small and it'd be quite obvious if you were tryin to see what i had in my trunk

Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
lol if you are worried about people seeing into your cargo area and stealing, you should have got a car with a trunk. or a tank. noone ****s with a tank

Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Unhappy gap between cargo cover and seats

Thanks nodrogkam and feddup, but yes, the 1" gap is after the seats are fully reclined. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah i think they should have located the insert for the cargo cover about 1/2 inch closer to the seats. But its hard to see anything for me even with the gap. Our highlander has a smaller gap, but still has gaps. THe cargo cover for our SUV retracts both ways - one side attaches to seat and the other to the edge of the trunk. That does help a lot with the gap issue but since the trunk of the fit isnt that deep, they really should have just located the mount point a bit closer to the seat.
Oh well..i wonder if the new fit has solved that.

Quick Reply: Magic Seats with Cargo Cover Question