General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Winter Driving, First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Talking Winter Driving, First Impression

It snowed yesterday, so I finally got to test the Fit on slick conditions. Previously driving a CRV I had to re-think my driving habits! It appears to handle well, but starting from a dead stop can be challenging. I have an auto, so shifting to second helps a lot. Question: from a dead stop, when I shift to "S" does it start in second gear? I was shifting to "S" then selecting with the paddle shifters. I guess I need to read the manual, but I'm a man and we don't read instructions!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
From the 2010 manual

Starting in Second Gear
When you are in sequential shift mode, and the vehicle is stopped, pull the+ (right) paddle shifter to shift to second gear. You will see ‘‘M2’’ in the display. Starting in second gear helps to reduce wheelspin in deep snow or on a slippery surface.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:05 AM
from a stop, just putting it in S mode does not automatically gets you in S mode... you have to paddle once to engage S mode.

dead stop > select S mode > paddle once to engage S mode (the gear indicator should lit "1")

Old 12-12-2010, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
This is my first winter with the Fit. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it behaves. I've been able to out-maneuver some of the larger four / all-wheel-drive beasts on the road. Of course, it probably helps that I have some good studded tires.

Despite how well the Fit does on the snow and ice, I can't wait for summer. The noise of studded tires gets a bit annoying. Makes the auto-volume adjustment of the factory stereo very useful.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I drove my Fit in the snow for the first time last week and right away found puttng it in S and clicking to M2 helped out alot when taking off from a light. I just wish, like a traditional stick, you could go right to 4th right away but with only 109 ft/lbs of torque, its not like the car is getting away from you. My previous car, a 2007 Mini Cooper S had a stick and LSD and snow tires, so needless to say, was great in the snow. I'd start in 2nd and quickly go into 4th and bog the motor down, it was awesome in the snow.

Not that I can't drive without traction control because like most people my age (40) we learned to drive on cars w/o t/c but what's good about t/c is for when you run over icy conditions that you can't see, this helps out alot but I don't expect any problems from the Fit. Kinda funny how Honda now has t/c as standard equiptment now, hmmm, how many letters did they get complaining aobut it not being standard on these cars but standard on the Fiesta, cheaper car as well as the Mazda 2, even cheaper car

Oh well, me and my Conti DWS will get through this winter in Chicago just fine, round 2 has hit us today but nothing like Minnesota though, good luck to you guys up there

Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I think I just need to become accustomed to the Fit's driving style. My old CRV (1999) was really fun to drive in the snow. My wife's Element is also great to drive. Guess I just need to give it some time and play with it. After reading the replies most have different tires than the stock ones that came on my sport. Any suggestions on a good all season replacement tires?

Last edited by Cybertar; 12-12-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
cyber- go north to southbend (tirerack) and get some snow tires if it snows over there. you will notice a HUGE difference. WS60's. talk to my buddy Alex x294.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Will do kenchan! Thanks. I think we are in for a long winter, so I'll give them a call tomorrow!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Well, we've had ice in Dallas this week, and now we have snow to deal with. The paddle shifters on the Sport automatics sure come in handy!! Putting it in 2nd gear to go from a stop and downshifting to take advantage of some engine braking.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I had a 2007 Fit and it handled great in the snow in Colorado with all season tires.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
480 here, got back home from some really nasty winter driving this morning.

This was the first time I took the Fit (2010 Sport) out in nasty winter conditions. There was about 2"-6" of loosely packing snow on the ground, the consistancy of wet sand. Very nasty stuff - clumps to a degree but still able to drift.

Considering how bad the snow was, and the fact that I am still on the stock Dunlop tiers, the Fit handled very well. I also discovered that you can override the gear with the + button, but you can also override with the - button to engine brake. One of the things is that in Sport mode you cannot shift into very high gears unless you're at a certain speed, so you cannot shift super-high to very slowly move through snow. Sport mode is also useful for snow, but I preferred using the paddles in Drive mode.

I also got stuck in two parking lots on two separate occasions. The first time I had to back myself out, the second time I rocked the steering wheel back and forth to unjam myself. (When I was younger a Pennsylvania State Police officer helped me get unjammed from what I thought was a hopeless situation, and I learned the technique from him!) It took a few minutes but the Fit handled it like a champ.

Of course, this is from someone who has driving in bad winters for more than 10 years. If you aren't on back country roads and don't drive like a maniac, the Fit is acceptable for winter driving.