General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas and Oil prices on the way up again

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Bubbles
Hahaha that tahoe is LONG GONE. It died at 184,000 miles. But not the way you think.....some bitch ran a red light and hit my driver side and flipped me across an intersection and into a pole. It jammed both doors and the only way I got out was crawling out thru the window because it was on its side. No airbags went off, and after we flipped it back over we turned the key and it started up fine Ol' Bessy was for sure a tank.

This is why it is important to wear a seatbelt!!!!!!

FAWKING......Biatch......

Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM
O and you know what makes it worse? 23, female, and no license. It took 1 year to settle this in court. With the help of physics and math I determined that she ran the red light at a speed of 55 mph in a 35 mph zone. And she was driving a small car. I dont think I have yelled more obscenities at a person in my entire life. If she did not know English, she sure learned some English words that day lol

Old 01-01-2011, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by braziers
Minimum wage is like £5.90 an hour. And I don't think the average annual wage is any more than the US.

It's annoying when I hear Americans complaining about petrol prices simply because you have no idea what it's like to pay for expensive petrol. Not hating on you guys, but it annoys me because I pay 3 times what you pay!

Having said that, our regular petrol is 95 octance, and super is 97, although i usually put in 99, which is around £1.40 a litre now, which is why I've switched back to regular!
Yes, but the base cost of petrol is about the same worldwide- the rest is just ....taxes. The US does not tax petrol as much as the UK/EU do.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Also, when comparing US and UK prices, liters are unambiguous, but gallons aren't.

1 US gallon is about 3.79 l
1 Imperial gallon is about 4.55 l

I thought 80p per liter was bad when I was visiting the UK in 1999... £1.21 is downright evil.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
i think when gas prices go high is when it affects more of the people who actually have to have those low MPG vehicles

the farmers, truckers, etc.

i know when gas was last up around $4/$5 and i was filled up, there were a lot of people way more interested in my car and every other little small car that was filling up. Between the time i started and ended filling up most of the people driving (solo) in their bigger vehicles were still filling up or just ending. hell, even the yaris' were getting love

i do know that the farmer who was pulling his 4 horses had a big Ford Dually truck and his bill was over $100 but he was also filling his "reserve" tank. he really liked my car, especially when he saw all the stuff i had crammed inside for work, but he said it would never work with him and pointed to the horse trailer.

and yea the taxes in Europe on petrol is killer....

Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I have the Fit now, the last time gas prices hit $4.00/gallon, I was driving the Protege 5, and was getting at best 28mpg. I average 35+ with the Fit!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think gas prices are suppose to be in the $5 by 2012. but then i heard the world ends by then so who cares?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think gas prices are suppose to be in the $5 by 2012. but then i heard the world ends by then so who cares?
It ends because of 5 dollar gas prices.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
^ haha
Not worry at all with the gas since I've my fit and my 4-cyl accord get good milage as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Fitting
^ haha
Not worry at all with the gas since I've my fit and my 4-cyl accord get good milage as well.
Which year is your accord? I traded my 4 cyl 2001 Accord for the new FIT because for mixed city and hwy driving, my Accord was running 11.5 litres per 100 km (Canadian way of measuring). Hope some folks can help translate to MPG

Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
yes, they're predicting $5 per gal gas in the u.s... but gas price predictions are usually unreliable.
meanwhile, the u.s. economy crashed at $4.00 per gallon gas in 2008.
one would presume it would happen again... causing gas prices to tumble at some point before getting to $5 per gallon.

the average american drives about 12,000 miles per year....

driving a Fit, 12,000 miles per year at 32 mpg, would cost this much....

$3 per gallon = $1125 annually
$4 per gallon = $1500 annually
$5 per gallon = $1875 annually

Last edited by spin out; 01-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
Which year is your accord? I traded my 4 cyl 2001 Accord for the new FIT because for mixed city and hwy driving, my Accord was running 11.5 litres per 100 km (Canadian way of measuring). Hope some folks can help translate to MPG
Mine is an 06 and usually get 25mpg or better. It can vary since I'm not the only person driving it and it's my beater so sometime I drive it liek I stole it

Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
Yes, but the base cost of petrol is about the same worldwide- the rest is just ....taxes. The US does not tax petrol as much as the UK/EU do.
I never saidabout the base cost of the fuel itself, I said the total amount, and you guys have no idea what expensive fuel is.
Sorry if it seems like I'm biting though, I'm not, it's just that fuel is a touchy subject!
The EU has ruined the UK. We should have never joined the EU.
I wish our country was big enough to supply our own oil like you guys! Instead, we have to buy in our fuel, and therefor the price is higher.
And it doesn't help that the USA declares itself as an Independent state and doesn't wanna help us guys out!
But hey ho, I still get by!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
yea wtf is up with the gar prices now?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
But hey ho, I still get by!
You probably don't have to drive as far. We're all spread out over here.

England: 50,346 square miles total
Texas: 261,797 square miles total

Last edited by hayden; 01-03-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
You probably don't have to drive as far. We're all spread out over here.

England: 50,346 square miles total
Texas: 261,797 square miles total
let's stop this "i got it worse than you" deal... cause you know, our fathers got us beat, they had to build our houses out of twin and twigs.

btw, while it's true a single nation in Europe is tiny by comparison (all of Europe about same area as Alaska?)... there are people that travel among multiple countries in their cars. While most folks in the states barely travel most of their home state (though a 9 hour drive from San Diego to San Francisco is bOrInG as hell, and stinky).

Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
The average driver in the US drives 40% more than in the UK.

Over-driven: why our cars guzzle gas, what to do about it

They still pay more, but it puts things into perspective a bit.

However, that doesn't even take into account for the fact that the place is so big, we have to FLY everywhere. That's expensive. To the tune of an extra $1,571 per household per year. The residents of which U.S. city spend the most on travel? - USATODAY.com

That doesn't mean the UK isn't hit hard with travel expenses, because they are, especially since recent tax increases: The residents of which U.S. city spend the most on travel? - USATODAY.com

It all balances out somewhat. At the end of the day, who's quality of life is better on average? That's hard to determine, and has little to do with money considering both nations are world super powers. I guarantee you that we face pressures in this country on "the individual" more than European nations. It's every man for himself. A knife fight filled with isolation, pitfalls, no unification, and no support. Evidence: healthcare.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Anyone bought oil in the last week? The last time I saw Mobile 1- 0/20 was 29.00 for 5 qt container @ wal-mart this summer. Motorcraft 5/20 5qt was 11.49 1/2 syn & 1/2 oil. I was talking to my Mopar buddy and he saw a big increase in $ for oil.

At my Walmart they dont have the 0w20 in the 5 quart jug, at least every time I'm there. You can buy it by the quart for 6.77 put they only have a few quarts, never enough for an oil change. There is a shortage of that oil and the new Penzoil is almost 5 dollars a quart for regular oil and I feel sorry for the people buying the 2011 cars because that oil is required. I thought the new oil was factory fill in the 2010s but its the 2011 that its factory fill. I have to look into the Motorcraft oil it sounds like a great deal.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Oli
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
At my Walmart they dont have the 0w20 in the 5 quart jug, at least every time I'm there. You can buy it by the quart for 6.77 put they only have a few quarts, never enough for an oil change. There is a shortage of that oil and the new Penzoil is almost 5 dollars a quart for regular oil and I feel sorry for the people buying the 2011 cars because that oil is required. I thought the new oil was factory fill in the 2010s but its the 2011 that its factory fill. I have to look into the Motorcraft oil it sounds like a great deal.
Our local Honda dealer is still advertising oil changes for $19.99!
Corwin Honda | Jefferson City, Columbia, St. Peters and Ellisville regions
Stop on by!!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
What are your Gas prices now then?
Because I'm pretty sure that they're no where near our prices!

If you exclude taxes the cost is pretty close. Over there politicians use taxes to push the populace into higher mpg vehicles. Now that would be very unpopular over here so they will limit sources of gasoline and require higher mpg 0CAFE) so the priceof gas rises by ways other than taxes so nobody notices. This administration is brain-damaged by 'global warming' so they believe they must have us buy more economical vehicles cause we're dumb and have to be herded.
Here's a fun situation to watch over hear.The Chevy Volt, far overpriced from Obama Motors, is touted as a 100 mpg vehicle. In reality the Volt runs a 150 hp motor on its batteries for typically 30 real miles and then switches to its onboard 84 hp ICE powering a generator that produces juice to run the electric motor. So at 100 miles since recharging it gets 30 miles 'free' and 70 miles at 24 mpg for an average of 34.2 mpg, at 200 miles its 28.2 mpg. But for a 50 mile you will approach 100 mpg; around here nobody drives 50 miles between 'fillups'.
Wait'll the greenies get a load of that.
Those of us with Insights, Civic and Toyota hybrids get more than 40 mpg at 100, 200, and even 500 miles. Worse, wait'll the greenies get a load of propelling 2 tons of Volt (curb wgt 3764 lb) with a 1.4L 84 hp weenie ICE. Can you say 15 seconds 0 to 60.
Just think of all the Fits pouncing on ICE powered Volts with our 119hp 1.5L 2600 lb 'hot rods'. Great fun. And at better mpg.
The exposure of the Volt and its coverup by Obama media will be the most entertaining 'event' of 2011.

Quick Reply: Gas and Oil prices on the way up again