General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Advice appreciated - Front bumper lip parking camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Advice appreciated - Front bumper lip parking camera

Appreciate if someone can offer me some ideas and advice.

Do you think if I install a wireless parking camera on the front license plate, would it provide a good enough view between the front bumper and the parking curb from a small wireless monitor that I will velcro onto the dashboard?

The 2010 Sports front bumper lip clearance is usually lower than the concrete curb when driving into malls outside parking spot with a curb in front. The FIT has short low invisible nose (from driver's view) and I can't tell how far the front bumper is from the curb as I inch towards the curb, and I can't see the curb in front... result... scraping of the lower bumper lip onto the curb.... when I had my accord, the bumper clearance is higher than the front curb and my accord front tires will provide a slight bump onto the curb.. no harm done.

However, the challenge for the low clearance sports FIT, there will be bumper damage due to accidental scraping with the curb in front during parking.

Sadly, my wife had to offer to help me by her getting out of the car and standing outside in front of the car and guide me towards the curb just like a plane taxi towards the airport terminal guided by the signaling guy with two lighted sticks. My wife does not use the lighted sticks.

It is not fair for her to always have to do this every time we park towards the curb especially if the weather is nasty. Also, when she drives the FIT alone, she needs some visual to avoid scraping the front lower bumper into the curb.

I am considering to invest in a wireless parking camera secured on the front license plate but I am not sure if the way the camera is positioned on the licence plate holder will have a good view of the curb below through the wireless monitor... I have no idea if the camera view can see the curb below.. and it will be dark too?

Has anyone ever install such front camera? Do you think it will work ?

Last edited by Ric01; 01-09-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Seems like a lot to go through for all the issues you've stated.

When parallel parking next to a curb I've taken to lowering the view of the side view mirror so I can see the curb. The front quarter is still out of view, but I'm most always backing into the space first and can line up that way. I'm thinking a monitor would be too distracting in that you would be watching something watching what you were trying to do as opposed to simply watching it.

As far as the front, you're right - hard to see. Take it easy and touch, not bump, your way until you learn the limits.
I always use and exterior reference mark on the car to gauge clearance. Learned that way back with my first VW beetle... over 40yrs ago__arggg

The Fit is amazingly maneuverable and learning to use the mirrors is a whole lot cheaper and more direct than installing a video system and all it entails. It is a tiny little car when you get down to it.

I've invested in a GoPro and have a mount under the front plate to capture HQ videos... 12"or so above the pavement. I'll be posting a few soon as I'm just getting to learn video editing. It is a way cool vantage, and if you do decide to go remote video I'll guarantee you'll be watching at 70mph more than you'll be while trying to park_

K_C_

Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks K_C great advice

I am very interested to see how you mount your camera under your front plate.. does the mount comes with GoPro or you had to source the mount separately. Is it difficult to mount? Do you need to clean the camera often as the road stuff will splash onto the lens during normal driving?

You are right, for curb-in-front blind parking, it would have to be gentle.... my wife is petite, less than 5 feet and it would be a challenge for her for curb-in-front parking... that's why I am considering investing in the video camera at the front.

For side curb parking, I had attached two small convex mirrors at each corner of my side view mirrors and they provided visual down to the back wheels

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
GoPro - way cool: GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

Comes w/ 2 types of housings and sucker mount and various mounting clips. One housing is waterproof to the bottom on the ocean, well almost.

A parking rule of thumb - and it has absolutely no relation to petite size - avoid nose in curbside parking, plain and simple. More often than not, even well horned drivers will bash something. Pull up and back it in, then pull ahead.

Professional drivers all relay on side view mirrors to position their vehicles. Rear view has little to do with it because often you might not have one.

I have total faith in the fact that your wife is capable of smooth and efficient parallel parking. The Fit is ideal with its 'tall' seating position.

Do you really think your wife would want a TV monitor in the car? Just a distraction no one needs, not even the brats in the back seats......... oops, sorry for that, but it really gets to me this have it now and all the time just as I want it world we live in.

Like I said, I would love a live feed off my GoPro, but who's kidding who - it's all about seeing yourself from 12" above the pavement on the nose of your ride zooming the curves... and hooking up a live feed would be a project, thing doesn't even have a view finder nor remote controls.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
All at once I am appreciating that SUVs and Pickups out number cars here...Because of their width I am able to parallel park a foot or more from the curb between them and still have protection from passing traffic.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks again K_C. The GoPro is too cool

Good food for thoughts. I think she can managed the parallel parking because, as you say, the car is small and we have small convex side mirrors at the side.

She is only concern when the only parking spots left is to drive into a spot with a curb in front of the bumper... then she is nervous that both the curb in front and FIT nose becomes "invisible". I tried to advise her as you suggested, back-in instead but she never mastered backing in due to a previous backing in accident.

She is more comfortable driving in - forward. I guess, may be, the other option is to install sensor on the front bumper to sense the curb in front.

What do you all think?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
What do you all think?

Share this thread with her.
Past fears have little to do with tomorrow accomplishments, get over it. Support and confidence sets us free to move on.

I have total confidence in her ability to properly parallel park a Fit.

Me personally, I prefer to walk-a-mile over squeeze into a parking space. Door dings and bumper rash can be avoided and I enjoy the walk.

I like Coyote's observation. Most any other car provides a world of room to park the Fit in.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 01-09-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
While video would be pretty cool, the Fit's short enough that you can typically stay at least a couple feet back [from the curb/parking-block] and still be safely in the spot! No point pulling-in all the way to the 'front' of the spot...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
When I bought my Fit the salesman warned me about front in parking and the low front, said it was a short car just park back a bit.

Problem is I try to remember but have the attention span of a 4 year old. Made worse by any eye candy in the area!

One thought I have had and not looked into is a curb feeler, do they still make them? Any thoughts on putting one on the front of car?

JIm 0311

Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a homedepot lip might work for you? check it out via quick search.

personally i remember not to park too deep but my wife ate the tire stop already so nothing to loose any more. hahaha.