General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....

I went to the Richmond Auto Mall in BC to look at the Fit, look gorgeous in person.

But the salesperson says since the Fit is lightweight, it will be unstable and affected by winds and large trucks on the highway, and make it quite unsafe. How true is that? I might ocassionaly drive on highways.

My dad is pretty much bought into the unsafe thing, and believes a heavier car would be more safe. He also thinks the car is prone to swaying because it's taller.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
lol..
you got lied to IMO
the Fit had the 2nd fastest lane change time for Car and Driver.. the 1st place went to the Z06 Corvette I belive.. I have had no problems on the highway and I drive highway atleast two times a day 6days a week

Old 06-16-2006, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
It's nothing a COMPETENT DRIVER can't handle.

I pass many trucks while driving at highway speed and not once did I spin out into the woods. If you're really worried about that then go buy an 18 wheeler and stay home on windy days!

Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Its still stable at race track speeds let alone highway. As for large trucks if you buy the biggest baddest car in the US and I drive past you on a one lane road in a 68 wheeler tripple bogey Australian road train at 100 you better be holding on to the steering wheel. As for those little 18 wheeler toy trucks not a issue.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
The Fit actually ran faster than the ZO6 in Car and Driver's lane change test and better than the ZO6 in Motor Trend's slolum testing. I also drive on the highways every other day and here in colorado we have windy days all the time (30-50 mph winds) I find that the Fit slices through the wind extremely well. It may have more surface area than many other smaller cars, but I also have a Dodge Ram 2500, a Kia Sedona, and a Mustang and they all are tossed about by our winds a bit more.

I bet the salesperson wanted to sell something sitting on the lot instead of Fit that they would have to order.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
i've not had any problems with the fit on highways next to large trucks and such, it feels better than my previous accord coupe. altho i will agree that a heavier car will feel more stable, i had a 84 diesel benz before, it was really heavy... altho it felt safe, it was also really really s l o w . . . which was dangerous when changing lanes.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
That guy is not up to date on what he said. Not very competent on the subject in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
are you kidding me?? the Fit proves to be the safest in it's class and the handling is just superb...been very stable on highway and quick lane changes...

Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 PM
guys...come on...TROLL ALERT....

GWD

Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by misfiringsystem
But the salesperson says since the Fit is lightweight, it will be unstable and affected by winds and large trucks on the highway, and make it quite unsafe. How true is that? I might ocassionaly drive on highways.
What is this guy selling? - apparently not cars!

Several road test reviews compliment the Fit on it's handling and specifically on it's stability on the highway while passing big trucks and windy conditions.

I've had a fit for a month now, and I am very happy with the ride on the interstate at 65-80 mph. It's very stable and quiet for it's class. I've yet to feel any buffeting from bigger vehicles and/or wind.

When I have to make a quick maneuver, I've been surprised more than once on just how responsive the car is. Very comforting.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ultimatecarman45
The Fit actually ran faster than the ZO6 in Car and Driver's lane change test and better than the ZO6 in Motor Trend's slolum testing. I also drive on the highways every other day and here in colorado we have windy days all the time (30-50 mph winds) I find that the Fit slices through the wind extremely well. It may have more surface area than many other smaller cars, but I also have a Dodge Ram 2500, a Kia Sedona, and a Mustang and they all are tossed about by our winds a bit more.

I bet the salesperson wanted to sell something sitting on the lot instead of Fit that they would have to order.
yeah I know right....plus I heard dealers dont make that much off of fits so your right, he was probably trying to sell you something else....or he is an idiot.....either way dont listen to him.....

Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Don't do business with that salesman, he's either a liar or an idiot that hasn't driven a Fit yet and just trying to get you into something he has in stock. I have had mine in some real good crosswinds and past many trucks with hardly a shake. The Fit is as stable as our 04 Accord. Go back and slap the snot out of that salesman for lying to you.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 PM
fit handles fine on the freeway at high speeds.

but comparing it to a z06 is just retarded.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Hhaha a heavier car might be safer?
It's really the driver of the car that matters. The Toyota Echo I had might be a little unstable but the fit holds on to the ground.
I lOve it!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Its still stable at race track speeds let alone highway. As for large trucks if you buy the biggest baddest car in the US and I drive past you on a one lane road in a 68 wheeler tripple bogey Australian road train at 100 you better be holding on to the steering wheel. As for those little 18 wheeler toy trucks not a issue.
yea that

Old 06-17-2006, 12:48 AM
The Fit is light weight. Winds do affect it, however I haven't had any problems with trucks. Due to the high center of gravity, winds will blow it around a little bit. I had a Mazda Protege that was much worse in the wind. Sometimes it felt like I was going to leave the ground it got so bad. This car handles great, just keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
The Fit is light weight. Winds do affect it, however I haven't had any problems with trucks. Due to the high center of gravity, winds will blow it around a little bit. I had a Mazda Protege that was much worse in the wind. Sometimes it felt like I was going to leave the ground it got so bad. This car handles great, just keep your hands on the steering wheel.
High center of gravity? Have you ever taken a tight turn with the Fit?

I'm not saying winds do not effect the Fit, but center of gravity is not the primary factor with cross winds.

Compared to my nearly 3000 lb brick known as the Mazda MX-3, the Fit is more stable at highway speeds, even with semi's driving next to me. I'll have to give it the real test later when driving through the Mojave desert with those killer cross winds around Joshua tree area.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Between my Fit, F150, and Nissan Pathfinder. The Fit is the easiest to drive in side/headwinds gusting around 60-65 going 75-80.
The truck acts like a wall and gets blown a bit, the pathfinder does it a little too, but the Fit glides right through.

Now I will say, when I pass something that blocks the wind in the Fit and then hit the wind, it does veer a little bit, but nothing troublesome or unexpected.
With a strong headwind going up a hill, the cruise will have trouble finding the right gear as it like to hop back and forth, but that is remedied by just turning it off till the crest of the hill then turning back on.

I love my Fit and wouldn't mind a second- that is till we get a normal winter and I can't drive through 6 inches of snow or slush

Old 06-17-2006, 01:19 AM
The Fit is relatively high compared to other cars. I'm not bad mouthing it, it's just a fact. I take tight turns every day, its very stable. I'm not talking about cornering, I'm talking about wind. I can feel the wind blow the car around a little bit when its blowing 20-30 mph.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:29 AM
Thank you for all the response, I really appreciate it. I love the Fit and don't want to have any regrets buying it.

I guess, since I am no scientist, neither am I very familiar with cars, I was sort of bought into the highway unsafe thing. I don't want to buy the Fit and have trouble on the highways.

But with all the response from you guys, I think it's more than enough to prove that the Fit will be fine =)

It may be true like some said that the sales is trying to sell me something that's on the lot. He said if I wanted a Fit, I would order it now and wait at least till October/November.

Once again, thanks for all the response.

Quick Reply: Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....