General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Sick of the Snow Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
The Sick of the Snow Thread

Anyone else up here in the North East here? How's you're fit diggin the snow? I'm in Mansfield, MA... I'm screwed if we get another big one.. the snow-blower can no longer shoot the snow over the banks surrounding my driveway...

Let's see your snow situation....

Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hum... Could you throw some rock salt (or sand, if they don't allow salt) on it?

Should cause it to melt a bit and run off (to refreeze). The best case scenario would be for the water to just fill up in the snow pile (reducing overall height), and not create icy surfaces on the sidewalk or road.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Hope the tall snow bank will not be weighted down by its own weight or rain and cause a snow slide back into the sidewalk and car and the stones and pebbles from possible snow slide may scratch the car.

Perhaps, you may like to move the FIT somewhere else with lower snow bank?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Oh man! That's actually a good idea on the salt! I can't use it on that snowbank cause it's sitting mostly on my front lawn and I don't want a brown patch in the spring.... But I'll try using some on the other side! Just gravel over there!

There's no way in hell it's coming down [unfortunately] - it's 4 storms worth of snowblowing... and it compresses like cement when it comes out of the snowblower. Regardless, I park in the driveway... just parked out front so I could clean the driveway.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I agree! I am so sick of winter. We have had more snow on the roads than we have for a long time. Now we have been lucky and not gotten anything near what you have but still enough to make it hard to keep salt off the car. I took the car back to stock and I am counting down to the days until we are in March and I can get it back to normal. Stay safe with all that snow.

Cat

Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
dang i love winter... okay maybe not for what it does to the car... but playing hockey and snowboarding is so much fun...

lol only a few years ago in qc city we had something like 5 meters of snow... that means that the snowbanks were even higher than that!!! it was truly amazing!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
GEEZ! What about the "Global Warming" mantra? Well, I guess it does not apply in yur neck of the woods.
Hang in thea man.....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 PM
'Global warming' is effectively shifting the jet stream and changing the weather patterns.
Been reading that the East Coast of the main land can expect a similar pattern this spring minus the freezing temps.

You guys are sitting in the middle of a big pond.
Wait till those cold northern breezes come whipping down.
The kaikamahine will be wearing fur__

Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I'll be here...waitin' But when/if it does happen then it will deserve a little cred. Oh! wait, last week it got all the down to 65 degrees "shivering" we had to actually use a sheet to cover ourselves in bed...

Last edited by vinnymac; 01-28-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Well, I'll be here...waitin' But when/if it does happen then it will deserve a little cred. Oh! wait, last week it got all the down to 65 degrees "shivering" we had to actually use a sheet to cover ourselves in bed...

Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
yesterday I drove 100 miles in this crap throughout NJ and NYC and was having a blast slipping and sliding until later that night when I realized:

The lane markers in NY are disappearing! this meant most drivers had no f'ing idea where to drive and SUV with their arrogance (since its during these times they can hold their head high) decide their lane is the only lane....

Jamiaca Queens is the "gooch" of queens...as

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
opps....

as I write this there are blocks of barely plowed roads, cars buried and stuck everywhere, a$$hole home owners and home renters throwing snow out into the middle of the street fior me to shove into my ac condenser (thank goodness for the GUTTER GUARD MOD!!!)

Sorry for the rant....after rodeo riding my way through this crap and beating the hell outta the tranny and suspension, I parked it in Pathmark's lot....

LESSONS LEARNED:

SNOW TIRES!!!
keep ice melt in the car, sprinkle some when you're parked for a while and appreciate it when you pull out easier.

avoid all boroughs except Manhattan.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op - holy crap @ snow stash! the homeless can now each have a igloo.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
I am also in the northeast and while I hate clearing my driveway for what seems like an infinite amount of time, I do enjoy driving in it with the fit

Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
dang i love winter... okay maybe not for what it does to the car... but playing hockey and snowboarding is so much fun...
Glad you love winter! If I could, I would send you all of my winter and be done with the crap!

There are no words to adequately describe just how much I hate winter. I hate winter (cold weather) so bad, I'm surprised snow doesn't melt when I get near it as a result of my angry-hot, cold-despising fury over freezing my @$$ off! (There... is that hate enough? )

The snow is beautiful, sure enough, but I get over that quickly. Tired of shoveling, tired of shivering, tired of getting bitten when I go outside, and tired of my rides getting sand, salt and chemicals all over them.

This has been one of the coldest winters I think I have ever experienced. I want to go back to Florida... badly!

"Heat can be uncomfortable, but cold is painful!"

Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
The other direction in my driveway...

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~whiske.../snow_east.jpg

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
"Heat can be uncomfortable, but cold is painful!"
You can always put on more layers, you can only take off so much... I'd much rather have 8 layers on then be unable to move because of humid 120 degree temps.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
You can dress warmly... not coldly.

If you've gone sick and tired with snow... maybe it's time to move.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Reminds me of the winter of 78 here, we had a few major snow storms that during the mayors race. He had no snow removal plan and lost because of that snow. I was a teenager and the snow piles were higher than me, you could have a snow ball fight and not even know where it was coming from. Great Blizzard of 1978 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-30-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM
If you're having difficulties with the snow and you live in the north east you're really missing the point.
It snows in the winter - quit your whining.

The Fishing's Great!!

Quick Reply: The Sick of the Snow Thread