General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Georgia Internship

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Georgia Internship

I have an internship this summer in Columbus, Ga and am concerned about protecting my Fit while it is there. Any advice to prevent the car or wheels from getting stolen? I currently have the stock Honda wheel locks on my 2011 Honda Fit Sport.

Anyone from Georgia know what the crime rate is like in Columbus? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone wants to steal your car or wheels bad enough, they will do it. What you can do is decide where you park your car and what kind of theft deterrents you have. Don't park in secluded areas, pick a spot that is well lit and is under camera surveillance if possible. A security system would be best, preferably one that will detect windows shattering.

Wheel locks help, even if to only slow them down. You might want to put a second set of aftermarket wheel locks on there as well if you need to feel more secure. Steering wheel locks might be the best theft deterrent because it requires someone to either break it (which is not easy) or saw through the steering wheel. Try something like this, placed correctly it will take several steering wheel cuts to remove. The harder you make it for thieves, the more likely they will skip your car for another.

Last edited by Vanct; 02-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Do you think there are a bunch of black people in Columbus who are going to steal your wheels? I don't know why driving your car in Columbus will be any different than driving your car where you normally live.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by tbk3191
Do you think there are a bunch of black people in Columbus who are going to steal your wheels? I don't know why driving your car in Columbus will be any different than driving your car where you normally live.
No, just that I actually looked up the crime rate and it's supposedly 4 times what it is here. I'm just looking for insight from people who live in the area. I can't really judge while being this far away and the thread full of pictures of Fit's on cinder blocks has me worried.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I've spent time there. Depends on the area. More familiar with the areas around the town than in the actual city-of. There is crime-ridden areas of any population center. Saying it's 4 times higher overall doesn't say much if you are coming from a small town. I will say though, it is the South, and it does have it's own cultural flavor.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, i'm comparing it to the crime rate in Minneapolis, MN which is the nearest major city to me. Like you said, saying it's 4 times overall doesn't say much as it depends on the area so that's why I posted to see if anyone had been there.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
I weathered a much higher crime area in GA for 4 years on a lowered ride with nice wheels and the whole bit. My savior - a real car alarm and a set of ears. Being that the car was my baby, it was rarely too far out of sight, and it has been parked in areas I wouldn't even risk walking through today if you paid me. I'd hear that beep go off and find punks standing around occasionally, but alerted to your presence, most people aren't going to do anything. Wheel locks obviously will help anyone from performing a really quick job. At least it did back in the day before the internet was so widespread. Now all the tools of the trade are readily available, and performing any act of crime can be educated with a little googling.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey, what is most important is your internship. Your Honda Fit will be just fine. Concentrate on the opportunity before you.

Like has been said, don't sweat the small stuff. It's really only a Fit. And who in the heck knows what that is... really!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I know how you feel. When my wheels were stolen right from my drive way I felt so violated haha. But what I stated doing was turning the wheel as far as it could to the left or right and making sure it locked. By the looks of it there is no way they will be able to get that wheel off at that angle. And like someone else stated, just watch where you park. Don't leave your wheel lock key in the car. Don't leave your GPS, or anything valuable in the car cause that is even more motivation. And if your wheels get stolen they get stolen.

Mine were stolen and becuase of insurance we only had to pay $500 for a replacement. But becuase OEM wheels, tires, and install cost so much I was able to get the Mugen XJ's for the same price and insurance was cool with it. SO really to whoever took my wheels, thank you

Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the previous posters have pretty much summed up what to do/get to best prevent your Fit from being stolen, broken into, or the wheel's stolen.

An alarm system with shock and tilt sensors would be good. If you can't afford one, keep everything of value out of site. If you have to have anything of value and have a cargo cover for you hatch, put it there.

For parking at night try to park in a well lit area, preferably under a street light or light pole. This usually deters thieves since they want to minimize the possibility of them being caught in the act; however, if they really want the car or its wheels it won't stop them from getting them. It also helps if the area has regular traffic flow passing through which again can possibly deter the thief.

Originally Posted by tbk3191
What does being black or any other ethnicities have to do with stealing wheels? A thief is a thief, doesn't matter what they are. Please leave those ignorant and stereotypical/racist comments to yourself.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
"Please leave those ignorant and stereotypical/racist comments to yourself."

I live in fla and work in ga. you are wise to be concerned about georgia. not only are some cities more crime ridden than others, but many georgia cities have pockets to avoid. there are many people in george who are not working, and many who have never worked...yet all 'APPEAR' to have income. Now the welfare money is drying up to an extent and the state is after more tax dollars, which is hard to get from people who do not work. Local Police departments are picking up the slack by writing tickets that were once not even considered. an out of state tag will get you a vehicle search pretty quick...Tybee Island georgia is the parking ticket capital of the world too! Atlanta....keep driving north...Georgia has some pretty and SAFE mountains.

be aware of you surroundings and act accordingly an you will have no problems i'm sure--and keep your insurance paid up