General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Help me decide

Hi guys! I'm currently in the market for a new car, and the '11 Fit seems to be everything I'm looking for. Yippie! I have yet to test drive one, but was hoping to get some feedback from owners regarding the basic 4 trim levels. ( base or sport MT or AT- don't want/need nav)

First decision is about MT vs AT. I'm cool with a clutch and the MPG seems very close between the two. My only concern here is the highway cruising RPMs. Is this engine happy cruising at say 3500-4000 (70-80 mph) for hours on end? Is it overly buzzy (as Concumer Reports says ) over 3k rpm? I wouldn't necessarily be doing that often at all, but would hate to be hating life while going somewhaer far away... Probably 95% of my miles will be a commuting avg 40-50 mph or so

Secondly I'm still on the fence about Base vs Sport. Sway bar, 16" wheels, security system, fog lights, front fascia, rear spoiler are all nice touches. That's pretty much it , right? Anyone wish they had saved that $1800 and gone base instead of sport?

All opinions welcome. Help me choose!

Thanks y'all! Can't wait to get Fit

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Get the Fit!
Personally i drove AT before and it was so boring!
MT is awesome and with cruise control driving long distances is nothing. Ive been from Miami to Gainesville cruising between 65-80 the entire way without any problems.

The sport looks really nice and the extra features are amazing. I drive a 2007 GD sport and my Mum drives a 2010 Sport.

What color where you thinking to get?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Sport AT-- I enjoy manual & would have gone with that but a few years ago I had surgery on my left toe- and my left foot doesn't flex the way it used to & hurts with constant use.
So I got the AT--with the paddle shifters it can give you the a bit of the feel of having a MT.

If you decide on AT-- the sport is definitley worth it with the paddle shifters.

Are you looking at 2010 or 2011 models--If 2011-- the base has more features than in 2010 And if you decide on MT--the difference may not be as much

I took a cross country trip this summer riding the interstates 70-80 mph-- I do not think there was any excessive road noise at all.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with having the Sport model with the automatic. You can play with the paddles when ever you're inclined and you can also put it in drive and have a more relaxed drive when you want. I never test drove the manual but I'm believe the rpms at highway speeds are less with the automatic than they are with the manual. I agree about not wanting or needing the navigation system.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the revving feedback! But yea I don't know why I'm sweating that so much- my '82 Jag I-6 revs at 3k @ 80 just fine. Another reason I was a bit hesitant about the AT was the effect on acceleration (I'm used to V-8's , and 15 mpg ) so maybe a stick would be the way to go.
Scala-I'm thinking Metal or Orange(sport only option there I believe) Anything but white.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'd rule out Base AT. If you're going with AT, you might as well get the paddle shifters.

I have a Sport AT, and although the paddle shifters help to have a little more fun with AT, it does not replace the feel of an MT. So if you like MT, I'd say get a MT.

The 2011 has very little differences between Base and Sport. It's just up to your personal preferences. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Good choices, Orange (color is awesome!) Sport in MT there u have the power and feel of your car over the slightly slower response of an AT. Just dont get stuck on i-95 during rush hour

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Scala
Good choices, Orange (color is awesome!) Sport in MT there u have the power and feel of your car over the slightly slower response of an AT. Just dont get stuck on i-95 during rush hour
Scala- LOL more like trying to get through the Villages during rush/ restaurant early bird special time
I notice that you have a bicycle rack on yours. I MTB, and was thinking of just loading it in the back instead of doing the rack thing. I've seen pics where that seems to work ok. Ever try that with your bike?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
In the trunk or using a Hitch?

I stuffed two bikes in the trunk with no problem, w/ front tires removed.

I havent tried the tow hitch, because i dont want a hitch on my car lol

Last edited by Scala; 03-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Yea- in the trunk. I'm trying to avoid racks or hitches all together, and the Fit seems roomier than anything with 30+ MPG. Hate to say it, but the Fit is almost a mini-minivan. Albeit with panache

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Haha yes you can fit two bikes easily, and have room for bags/equipment. Mini Mini Swaggerwaggon!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by downsized
Yea- in the trunk. I'm trying to avoid racks or hitches all together, and the Fit seems roomier than anything with 30+ MPG. Hate to say it, but the Fit is almost a mini-minivan. Albeit with panache
Yep, I've heard that said before. It's kind of a sub-compact minivan. Or better yet, it has the practicality of a minivan with the driving dynamics and appearance you'd expect from a small, sporty hatchback. I'm constantly impressed with how fun to drive this car is. It's something I was worried about having traded in a 2008 G35x but the Fit has not let me down in the fun to drive department.

Last edited by TakeFlight; 03-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Secondly I'm still on the fence about Base vs Sport. Sway bar, 16" wheels, security system, fog lights, front fascia, rear spoiler are all nice touches. That's pretty much it , right? Anyone wish they had saved that $1800 and gone base instead of sport?
Prior to last Friday I was all set to pickup a base model because I did not feel the items included with the Sport were necessary for me.

However, last Friday I made a snap decision at the dealership (with sales pressure) to go for the Sport... no regrets about it.

I appreciate all the extras the Sport came with even if it was purely an emotional (want to have) type of thing rather than straight value and need.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Well I thought I had this Fit decision decided more or less. No upon further research, it seems that his car is in relative high demand( or at least Edmunds TMV reflects such ). I really like Honda quality( miss my Intega...) and if I can forgo the utility of the Fit, I might consider a Civic LX coupe (comperably equiped and similarly sporty but in a different way)for about $2k less, as it seems to be in lower demand and long in the design tooth....

I know talking price/hard numbers on forums is taboo, but have Fit forum members found the price negotiating on this car to be difficult??

Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Buy a Geo Metro because you had to ask people on the internet which car to buy!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok, let me rephrase just for gd3vbp.

I know talking price/hard numbers on forums is taboo, but have Fit forum members found the price negotiating on this car to be difficult??

Last edited by downsized; 03-29-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Ok, let me rephrase just for gd3vbp.

Don't mind him, he doesn't even own a Fit anymore if I recall correctly yet still graces us with his vast wisdom

Now it might be tougher to haggle over the Fit as future supply took a hit due to the situation in Japan, or at least that is what I have been told could be BS though.

I bought mine when there was a ton of Fits available and was able to talk them down to ~$14,700 and it was somelike like $16,300 T/T/L or so out the door for my MT GD3 Sport

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks DSM- yea I was also wondering if the mess in Japan and resultant tightened inventory would drive prices up, OR would they be inclined to move in-stock units for liquidity sake??? "Liquid" makes the world go 'round and I'd think they are pinched in that department right now...

But yea, I can just hear the sales dudes pitch about how rare these cars are

Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM
OP:

I have a 2010 Sport AT. I use the paddles predominantly and I don't regret not buying the manual, especially since much of my daily commute is in rush hour traffic. If driven in "normal" automatic mode, I believe that the Sport is still geared more aggressively than the base. The Sport Auto with the paddles is very easy to use. Once you get a feel for them, you'll never be underpowered and your MPGs will soar. Obviously, if you want to eke every last ounce of performance from the engine go with the manual, but like I said, I don't regret purchasing an auto.

Regarding the appearance items on the Sport (underbody spoiler, side skirts, rear spoiler, etc.): If you're going to be modding and replacing those anyway, it isn't worth it obviously. I really like the look however, and if you don't plan on changing any of that out I think the Sport looks like a much more complete car IMO...definitely worth the $1800.

I have SSM and I love it, low maintenance cuz I'm lazy and still looks great. Although if they had BOM at the dealer I would have taken that

Regarding the Civic LX coupe AT: My wife has a 2010 ABM, so my thoughts.

- Civic has a larger, more powerful 4cyl engine and slightly better highway fuel economy. Fit has a smaller 4 cyl engine with slightly better city fuel economy.

- Civic definitely pulls stronger from a stop than a Fit in normal driving. However the Civic LX does not provide paddles to allow you to modulate the engine's power. (A dealbreaker for me...I really wanted paddles, they are fun!)

- Interior materials quality is a wash. The Civic has nicer dash materials, but the Fit's (Sport) steering wheel is covered in a very nice leather, whereas the Civic LX's is not. -

-You also get a USB/iPod interface with the Fit (including the 2011 base), which is not on the LX model Civic.

- Civic's driving position is more reclined/relaxed. Fit's is more upright.

- The Civic LX delivers a quieter, smoother, less harsh ride than the Fit Sport. Much more relaxed drive and not as loud and raucous as the Fit, which is especially nice for highway driving.

- However, the Civic LX's handling is also less communicative, not as tight, and exhibits more body roll during cornering than the Fit Sport.

- Civic has more front legroom and less headroom. Fit has less legroom and MUCH more headroom. I am 6'2, 275 and I am infinitely more comfortable in my Fit than I am in wifey's Civic.

- Fit has better visibility and sight lines than the Civic.

- The Civic is sleek and futuristic. Some like it (I very much do), some don't. The Fit can look like a bullet, a jellybean, or a mini-minivan, depending on your perspective.

- Fit has a much more usable and comfortable interior. Although the back of the Civic coupe is surprisingly roomy for a 2-door.

I really like the Civic, but whenever I am asked for a recommendation on which car to purchase, I always say the FIT. It truly is the total package. Jalopnik said it best in their review of the 2009: It is simple/easy to use, well-engineered, sporty, and can accommodate a large variety of needs.

I paid $17,500 for my 2010 back in January and the dealer threw in wheel locks and floor mats, FWIW.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Check out this thread to get an idea of price. It may vary by area.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html

Quick Reply: Help me decide