General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Sport AT: Shifting from D to S while moving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Fit Sport AT: Shifting from D to S while moving?

Does anyone know if it is OK to go from D to S while the car is in motion? So far, I've come to a complete stop before shifting to S.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Not a problem as far as I know. Done it a couple of times so far at highway speeds.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
It's just going into another mode for the ECU. It's not engaging in anything mechanical so it should be perfectly fine to shift from D to S while moving.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Its funny that the owners manual doesn't address this, I read the whole thing while waiting for the dealer to prep my car when I bought it and even asked the salesman... no one knew.

So I tried it, and since it allowed me to do it I assumed its OK.

The thing is since yesterday whenever I switch to S from D and I'm in 5th gear (doing 50-60mph) , the car automaticaly downshifts to 3rd! Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Iv bin driving at 130 Kmh and shifted!!! NO PROBLEM the computer is designed to do that

Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
What gear where you in in 'D', and did it change when you went to 'S'?

Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by creepin
What gear where you in in 'D', and did it change when you went to 'S'?
If you are at highway speed, and switch from D to S, it will change from 5th (in D) to 3rd (in S) unless your speed is too great.

For example, if you are at 50 mph, in D5 and switch, it will go to S3. If you are at 80 mph, in D5 and switch, it will go to S4.

You can switch back and forth on the fly without any problems. You just have to be aware that it "may" and probably will downshift on you when you go to S mode.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
OK...cool. I was just wondering if mine was doing something strange!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by wyy183
If you are at highway speed, and switch from D to S, it will change from 5th (in D) to 3rd (in S) unless your speed is too great.

For example, if you are at 50 mph, in D5 and switch, it will go to S3. If you are at 80 mph, in D5 and switch, it will go to S4.

You can switch back and forth on the fly without any problems. You just have to be aware that it "may" and probably will downshift on you when you go to S mode.
Yup.

That is because D has 5 speeds and S has only 4 speeds available.

S was meant for city level driving, not highway.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Edwood
Yup.

Interesting - I can shift to the "5" with my AT Sport in "S" mode. At least, the red LED number goes all the way from "1" to "5" for me in S, shifting with each number change, regardless of what the owner's manual says.

Anyone else experience this too?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
I feel a definite change both in sound and gear when downshifting, but I wonder if upshift (+) paddle is working correctly. No sensation of extra acceleration and no difference in tranny sound.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by gcisko
Interesting - I can shift to the "5" with my AT Sport in "S" mode. At least, the red LED number goes all the way from "1" to "5" for me in S, shifting with each number change, regardless of what the owner's manual says.

The automatic basically has three modes, regular D gears 1-5, Fully automatic sport shifting (longer rpm holds) in S mode without the paddles gears 1-4, and then manual paddle shifting in S mode gears 1-5. The manual really isn't all that clear on this, but I've had other cars with similar functions. S mode will give a sportier experience without having to use the paddles but it won't use 5th gear, if you want to try it and haven't already just put the transmission into S mode and don't touch the paddles, I find it useful for short trips around town when I'm in a hurry.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification - that explains my findings.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edwood
Yup.

I think the downshifting was done intentionally to be consistant with the older models that didn't have paddle shifters. On my accord, while on the freeway, if I needed to downshift, I'd simply pull it down one click where it would blast me about 9 cars ahead of the Ferarri! (ok maybe more like 9 cars behind).

I would imagine its for those who are used to the 'old way' and during an emegency if they pulled it down and it did nothing for them, they'd be in a great deal of trouble.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:37 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Talking upshifting different impact than downshifting

Originally Posted by FondaFit
I feel a definite change both in sound and gear when downshifting, but I wonder if upshift (+) paddle is working correctly. No sensation of extra acceleration and no difference in tranny sound.
Upshifting is the opposite of downshifting so you get "less power". I've used upshifting on flat ground when I don't need to accelerate particularly fast. It takes less fuel to travel the same distance in a higher gear because it lowers the RPM which means the engine fires less quickly (because it is turning slower).

Note: computer will not shift into an inappropriate gear (yea I tried some borderline situations) - so in upshifting it is unlikely to create a situation resulting in an audible change.

Last edited by sam; 06-25-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:52 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gcisko

Manual shifting:
Once you start manually shifting in S it gives you all 5. The display puts an M next to the number. It will automatically downshift for you, all the way to a complete stop. It will then stay in first which can cause as you rev up the engine going down the street.

Switching Around Shifting:
In D, upshift to avoid passing gear to save fuel
In D, downshift to slow down using engine
In D- it goes back to automatic automatically

I only played a little bit with driving around in S but if I didn't manually shift it seemed to be a variation of automatic. My sales guy called it Sport Automatic which fits with what I've heard here- more responsive for city traffic.

2nd day with the car - and I had a MT before. So I'm trying to be careful but curious. Guessing I'll be able to out maneuver the average driver again soon when appropriate.

Last edited by sam; 06-26-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Master FitFreaker
no problem here I do it most of the time I want to change lane

Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
When i put the car in S it goes well... but if i put it in S and touch the paddle button so the red LED come on its goes much better. (once i have pressed the manual button for paddles i have noticed that the gear box is still auto..... it just redlines every gear and keeps the engine at a higher rpm. if i press the downshift paddle or upshift i get a little light come on in green the letter M for manual then the car can be controled with the paddles.
i find that the car is more fun in that sport mode but befor you press the paddle.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Lightbulb guess that's why I'm not xtreme :-)

Originally Posted by xtreme
[...] but if i put it in S and touch the paddle button so the red LED come on [...] it just redlines every gear and keeps the engine at a higher rpm. [I find that the car is more fun in that sport mode]
Hmm. I didn't wait for it to redline and just shifted. Don't think I'll be driving that particular way myself but it is very good to know the computer will not easily let you take out the engine in one quick move. - need a nervous smile icon-

Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sam
Upshifting is the opposite of downshifting so you get "less power". I've used upshifting on flat ground when I don't need to accelerate particularly fast. It takes less fuel to travel the same distance in a higher gear because it lowers the RPM which means the engine fires less quickly (because it is turning slower).

Note: computer will not shift into an inappropriate gear (yea I tried some borderline situations) - so in upshifting it is unlikely to create a situation resulting in an audible change.
This is what happens when you only drive ATs, plus live in flat country where you don't need extra control and zip on hills. Now that I have the paddles and a responsive little car, I feel like I'm missing out on the fun of an MT. Everyone who has one seems to be having a blast, plus saving on gas.

Quick Reply: Fit Sport AT: Shifting from D to S while moving?