General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Sport to Replace '90 Civic Wagon w/B18B?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Sport to Replace '90 Civic Wagon w/B18B?

First of all this is my first post/topic here, so I appreciate the views/discussion. A little background about me since I'm new here:

I've been a Honda guy my entire life, seriously. I've worked with Hondas in the service field for 11 years now - 11 years at an independent shop, and now a few months at a respected Atlanta area Honda dealership. I own a 1992 Civic w/B18C5 swap and daily drive a 1990 Civic wagon w/B18B1 and my wife drives our 2005 Element.

Having said all that...

Well my wife and I have been thinking of having another child - check that - we're trying to have another child. Currently my '90 wagon serves as my daily driver to and from work, and the ONE baby seat in it is center mounted so that if I were to get t-boned our son would be safer.

...soooooo adding another baby seat to the mix moves the seats outboard, and my wife and I just don't feel GREAT about side impacts with a 1990 Civic wagon. Granted our kids would not be riding in my wagon every day, but on my off days BOTH kids would be riding along with daddy.

The Fit Sport obviously has a ton of airbags, side impact beams, ABS, EBD (electronic braking distribution), VSA, active head restraints, etc. etc. Yes it's a lot of new fangled electronic stuff to break in 5+ years, but it's hard to put a pricetag on my kids' safety.

I know, I know the 90 Civic isn't necessarily a deathtrap, but compared to a modern vehicles it does seem lacking in the safety department.

I work at a Honda dealership, and I can get a new Honda for COST, and currently .9% APR is being offered too, which we qualify for. We could get into a fit for around $200.00/month if I throw down $5,000.00 (what I will sell the wagon for - seriously) for 60 months. The car note doesn't bother me a ton as I'm making better money now, and we've dealt with a car note before with our 2005 Element (now paid off!).

For reference my wagon is HERE for reference.

I'll throw a few things out there for reference:

My wagon:
(Pros)
- Hauls ass, seriously (LS swap) for a simple, quiet DD
- Passes OBD1 emissions testing (tailpipe test) better than ANY car I've EVER seen
- Is Uber clean and not replaceable
- Handles and rides well with it's Eibach/KW suspension
- Gets consistent 27mpg city (never get hwy miles on it to reference)
- Has zero mechanical issues - no leaks,

(Cons)
- Vibrations/buzzes from the engine due to aftermarket poly mounts necessary for the B18B swap
- Is not as safe as modern-spec vehicles
- Would be a hard hit if totalled or stolen as its book value is likely only $1,200.00 when it's true sellable value is more like $5,000.00
- Has uber cheap insurance and tag fees

I have never driven a Fit except for around our dealer parking lot, but the electronic power steering and rack ratio is bad-ass. I'll drive one at length tomorrow and file a full report tomorrow.

In my opinion, based on what I know about new models Hondas, the Fit Sport:

(Pros)
- Will be overall safer from an accident prention standpoint, and collision protection standpoint
- Will get better gas mileage than my wagon
- Will be smoother and quieter than my wagon
- Will still be fun despite not being straight line fast

(Cons)
- Will be disappointingly slow (no offense guys)
- Will not last as long as my wagon (I've worked with Hondas for 14 years and sorry to say they really don't make them like they used to)
- Will probably have all sorts of indicator lights popping up from tire pressures, ABS, VSA, SRS, etc. at some point in time
- Will have obviously higher insurance rates, tag fees, etc.

My dealer has no manual tranny Fit Sports on the lot, but I'm going to drive an auto and see how it is. I'm thinking mostly of the manual and adding the Mugen short shifter. I'm currently trying to read up on the clutches/reliability of for the Fit. I try avoid autos if possible because they are expensive to repair/replace, even for me, and I can't go into one myself like I can a 5 speed manual.

So what's your guys' take on this? I posted this on a Civic Wagon MB and I'm curious to see the contrast...hehe...

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
ABS, EBD (electronic braking distribution), VSA, active head restraints, etc. etc.
I would not drive a car without VSA/traction control. It has saved my life.
$5,000.00 (what I will sell the wagon for - seriously)

- Would be a hard hit if totalled or stolen as its book value is likely only $1,200.00 when it's true sellable value is more like $5,000.00
-
If you can get $5k for the old car and get a great deal on the Fit, this is the right thing to do. But I think you know that. You've already made up your mind.

And what is really bothering you is "Will the Fit be fun to drive?" The answer is Yes! If you think the car is slow (as I did before I bought one) get it out on the road and up to 5k RPM. Unlike in Germany, in the US you will never really be able to drive a more powerful car at top performance. But in slower traffic the Fit will more than hold it's own.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't sell the Wagovan if I were you.....They're awesome.

Buy 07 Fit for 9k. BAM.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Oh damn.... that's a tough one now that I see the Wago. That sucker is clean! I've been in your shoes though. We got rid of our daily driven 89 Civic DX hatchback (we named him Gary after the Spongebob snail since he was the same color and slow!). I miss the 46 MPG, but with another kiddo on the way, it would be tough living with the car. The 89's as you know don't have any side impact beams and safety was a big issue. I sold it for 3K and my mom helped us with the rest (bank of Mom FTW!). The 08 Sport we bought is a lot safer as a daily and has tons of room, although it doesn't have the same character or gas mileage that Gary had.

You'll still have your fast car and you'll have a clean slate for more mods.. I kept my 99 B18C5 hatch.

It's going to be a trade-off, but it's time to think about your kids. Just make sure that the Wago goes to a GOOD home.

Last edited by D50boy; 04-01-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well my wife and I are going up to my work to pick up my paycheck, and while we're there we're going to drive a Fit Sport (auto for now - we don't have a manual on the lot) to see if it's something I'd want or not.

If we can swing buying a Fit while keeping the wagon then the decision will be a no brainer. Keeping the wagon AND buying a Fit does create a paradox though:

- If I drive the wagon regularly enough then just why are we paying a car note on a Fit?
- If I drive the Fit mostly then just why did I keep the wagon?
- When the hell will I have time to drive my B18C5 hatch?!

5 days out of the week I'm at work, and on those days my son (and hopefully the new baby when that time comes) will never ride in my car whether it's a tin can or a sherman tank. My wife works right by my mother's house where my son stays every day until he is old enough to start school.

It's on days like today when I'm home alone with my son that we go riding around to east, go to the playground, run errands, etc. I mean the actual statistics/probabilities that we'd be in an accident in my wagon are already slim simply because he only rides in it maybe 1 day a week. My other day off we're out in our Element with mommy.

My daily commute to work is 34 miles. Exactly half of the drive is twisty back roads with straight sections long enough for legal passing. I find myself making at least one pass a day whether it be on my way to work, or on my way home. I cannot sit at 40mph when the speed limit is 45mph, and passing in my wagon is absolutely effortless. I'm not reckless at all, but I am guilty of speeding 99% of my time driving to and from work. Passing on a two lane road becomes more dangerous if it takes too long to pass, as in, waiting for 117hp to haul 2600lbs. (Fit) around rather than 140hp pulling 2500lbs. (my wagon) so again it will all come down to the test drive I suppose.

Some of the roads have some pretty nasty potholes which make me feel like I'm dodging landmines sometimes. The wagon sits low and all, but the Eibach/KW full coil-overs ride amazingly smooth - but not as smooth as a new Fit, I'm sure.

I'll post my driving impressions of the Fit later. I doubt a salesman will have to ride with me, and even if one does I'm going to drive the car as if I would normally. The service department (where I work) has a Fit Sport loaner car that we let customer borrow for extended time when we're doing lengthy repairs, so maybe THAT fit will be returned by the time I want to drive one. I'd feel better about dogging a Fit that's already broken in, rather than ragging one with 25 miles on it.

Again thanks so much for the feedback. If I can keep the wago AND get a Fit that'd be ideal, but if the drive out price and financing don't line up unless I sell the wago for the down payment then I'll still have this tough choice...

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; 04-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Does your dealership have any base MT Fits?

You obviously know that MT base & sport have the same drivetrain; a base MT would at least let you get an idea about the passing ability of the machine.

IMO, the MT is geared really well for back-road passing; redline in 2nd gives you 55 MPH; 3rd tops out just shy of 80 so it keeps on hauling after the 2-3 shift.

I've never driven an AT Fit; both of ours are MT. Others on the board who have generally say that the MT is a lot more responsive, so a test drive in an AT isn't going to give you a true basis for evaluation.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned
The fit is a blast to drive. That wagon you have there is way cool though. I'd try to hang on to that or sell it yourself to someone who can appreciate it.

THe Fit is fine for passing on a 2 lane road. It does fine from 40-80. Maybe plan ahead a bit if you're used to something with a lot of power.

My omni will roast the tires in third passing at 60 but I still have no problems passing with the Fit. You need to pick your battles though. You can't pass 2 semis or anything unless you have tons of room but it works nicely to pick off the odd dawdler.

Base Fit is lighter and has the same power. Base also comes with cruise, vsa, keyless and the usb interface for the stereo. All features the older ones didn't have. Just have to put rims on them. The hubcaps are super ugly.

My old Fit.

just traded it in on this one.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i would buy an 07-08 fit simply cause of the baby seat that but i have told you that before.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
i will trade u my 09 fit sport 5spd milano red with 25,000 miles on it. theres 10,700 left to pay on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
We bought our Civic Wagon 4WD manual in 1986, and drove it for 9 happy years till rust took it down. My wife and I still look back fondly on that car, but I know it would be a deathtrap compared to today's cars, even to subcompacts like the Fit and Yaris. Yet, even considering the safety aspects, I don't think I could turn down an old Civic with a B18 swap. If there's any way you could hang on to the wago...

Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
I guess you CAN have your cake, and eat it too?

Hello, Fit - meet your Daddy:

Name:  IMG_7363.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7367.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  28.4 KB

Three is not a crowd...

Name:  IMG_7382.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  33.8 KB

5.1 liters of Honda fury:

Name:  IMG_7386.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  52.3 KB

Some extra Fit pics:

Name:  IMG_7413.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7337.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  29.4 KB

Note the paddle shifters:

Name:  IMG_7342.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7331.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  32.7 KB

So I am liking the Fit more each time I drive it. It's certainly not fast, but it really does handle exceptionally well, especially for a stock lowest-model in the Honda line-up. It's a super stiff, super solid car. Doors shut with a affirmative, reassuring sound. Stock stero is pretty bad-ass, and has a USB interface, WMA/MP3 playback, aux. jack, and a 160 watt, 6 speaker system.

I absolutely raped the crap out of the Fit I test drove, so I literally redlined it a lot, slammed on brakes while swerving to check out the ABS/EBD/VSA, and it's pretty solid stuff.

In "S" mode the auto transmission will not shift until you tell it to by clicking the right paddle/upshift paddle. Clicking the downshift paddle a few times when approaching a sharp corner is a pretty surreal feeling - like playing Forza with the MS steering wheel. The shifters are solid, with a nice stiff "click" when you click them.

The wagon would still absoltely smash the Fit in a dragrace, and with modified suspension and brakes the wagon still has the overall performance edge...BUT! The fit is shockingly sure-footed, and the quick ratio electronic steering rack (think NSX, S2K, Civic Si, etc.) combined with the factory leather wrapped steering wheel can single handedly win you over during a test drive.

For those of you wondering about the future of the wagon:

We're keeping it...for now. If finances stay as they are there's no reason to sell the wagon. However, if work gets slow, or something comes up that requires a reshuffle, then the wagon will be the first to go. We got the fit at dead cost, which turned out to be a great deal, but with zero down we couldn't sell it and MAKE money. The Fit was also financed at just .9%APR so the Fit loan is the last loan we'd need to try and pay down. With some old student loans, some credit card bills, and even our house note all being above .9% interest we'd throw down the wagon sales proceeds towards those bills rather than the Fit loan.
We'll see how I divide my driving of the three cars...not to mention my wife still has the 2005 Element in the mix!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
So did you get the automatic Fit or are you going to test drive a stick? Those paddle shifters are a lot of fun but the stick is a bit quicker. Especially off the line.

Sounds like a good plan keeping that wagon.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
So did you get the automatic Fit or are you going to test drive a stick? Those paddle shifters are a lot of fun but the stick is a bit quicker. Especially off the line.

Sounds like a good plan keeping that wagon.
We bought the automatic. I figured if I really want to drive a stick I've got two choices still. I figured I'd finally have a car that I can drive daily (if so desired) that I can just cruise around without having to shift.

Also my wife can certainly drive a stick (we both used to auto-X our B-swapped hatches together) but I figured on days where I take either the 90 or 92 Civic to work she can take the Fit and still just press the gas and go.

Overall I'm actually pleased with the auto Fit. Once I feel that the engine is completely broken in I might find myself using "S" mode more on the twisty back road portion of my daily drive to work. It's pretty neat that the trans really won't shift until you tell it to, and it's pretty nice to gear down when headed into a corner, keep it in gear through the apex, and then upshift after clearing the corner.

The full auto "D" mode is actually pretty good about gear selection in terms of downshifting to pull the Fit up hills too. Our 2005 Element seems to allow the engine to bog/lag a bit, and then you have to force it to downshift by giving it a good stab in the gas.

BTW:

I love the Omni. I have always had a soft spot for "hot hatches" if you couln't already tell. Do you have the stock engine in it, or have you tracked down a turbo van block to build up?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned
Overall I'm actually pleased with the auto Fit. Once I feel that the engine is completely broken in I might find myself using "S" mode more on the twisty back road portion of my daily drive to work. It's pretty neat that the trans really won't shift until you tell it to, and it's pretty nice to gear down when headed into a corner, keep it in gear through the apex, and then upshift after clearing the corner.

The full auto "D" mode is actually pretty good about gear selection in terms of downshifting to pull the Fit up hills too. Our 2005 Element seems to allow the engine to bog/lag a bit, and then you have to force it to downshift by giving it a good stab in the gas.?
My wife has a Fit Sport Auto and I was real surprised how good it runs with the auto. I was worried it would bog with the wife driving (she def can not drive a stick) but it is really good about keeping the engine in the powerband.

The stick is one of the best shifting honda transmissions ever though. I never find myself wishing I didn't have to shift it but those paddles sure are a lot of fun.

The thing I like most about the paddle shift is you can shift it with the paddles any time you want. really nice when you want to prepare for a pass.

BTW:

I love the Omni. I have always had a soft spot for "hot hatches" if you couln't already tell. Do you have the stock engine in it, or have you tracked down a turbo van block to build up?
Hey thanks! It has the original block. They made a "common block" for the later cars that was a bit sturdier but the block is not really the weak link the pistons are (ask me how I know. ) The good piece out of the turbovans is the 5 speed trans.

This car is one of the last 500 Turbo Omnis. They were modified by Carrol Shelby at his facility in whittier california. Bigger intake and turbo, Koni shocks, etc..

The most effective mod on these cars is to open up the exhaust. Stock pipes are 1 7/8" and the turbo exhaust housing outlet is only 2 1/4" Mine has 3" from the turbo housing back, DSM injectors, roller cam, manual boost control and custom computer calibration.

I ran it down the strip once last summer. I was worried about the stock trans so I didn't go full throttle until about 1/2 track. Still trapped at 102. Stock trap was 94 so it's got some power. It doesn't take much to make these into monsters.

Anyway, didn't mean to crap up your thread.

Congrats on the new Fit and welcome to the forum.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
No man you didn't crap up my thread - I asked.

Since we're talking about our performance-oriented hatches my 1992 Civic (barely pictured with the other two Hondas in the garage, but clickable linked in my initial post) is the performer in the group. I built it from scratch back in 2002.

It's got a 100% stock internals B18C5 with only bolt ons and tuning via Uberdata (think freeware version of Hondata.) Prior to tuning though, and prior to adding a header it ran 13.3@104mph with a 2.2 60 footer. I had a propensity at breaking axles and final drives in my ITR trannies back then, so I stopped running it in the 1/4 mile back in 2002.

I auto-X'd it a lot, and it was a ton of fun. Now it gets driven on nice weather days pretty much to and from work. I never really go anywhere solo on the weekends, and with the interior being stripped, and exhaust fumes billowing into the cabin it's not a family vehicle by any means.

The wagon was my cheaper solution to buying a newer car (like a Fit or Civic Si sedan) back in '08 when my wife and I were having our first child. It's probably still going to be the most likely "back-up" car in the stable since getting the 1992 out of the garage is more of a PITA deal. I'll probably drive the wagon to work a time or two per week, and let my wife take the Fit to her work, leaving the Element (not pictured anywhere) to sit and not guzzle gas.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
BTW:

Here's a quick video of the 1992 w/B18C5 from a Flip camera I jammed in the passenger seat head rest:

YouTube - B18C5 EH2

Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
lets see some pics of the 5th gen

Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sandblasted
lets see some pics of the 5th gen
I'll try to find some more recent shots, but in the first few lines of my initial post I mention the 1992 Civic and it's a clickable link with lots of pics, specs, etc.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try to find some more recent shots, but in the first few lines of my initial post I mention the 1992 Civic and it's a clickable link with lots of pics, specs, etc.

oh yea? i didn't realize this. i'll check it out.....looks mint in the pics with the fit...

Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned
It's got a 100% stock internals B18C5 with only bolt ons and tuning via Uberdata (think freeware version of Hondata.) Prior to tuning though, and prior to adding a header it ran 13.3@104mph with a 2.2 60 footer. I had a propensity at breaking axles and final drives in my ITR trannies back then, so I stopped running it in the 1/4 mile back in 2002..
That's a nice 1/4 there for no header and tuning. So that's no turbo/nos right? Impressive. What is a B18C5? I'm not very familiar with honda gear-head lingo. Is that a GSR motor or ITR?

The wagon was my cheaper solution to buying a newer car (like a Fit or Civic Si sedan) back in '08 when my wife and I were having our first child. It's probably still going to be the most likely "back-up" car in the stable since getting the 1992 out of the garage is more of a PITA deal. I'll probably drive the wagon to work a time or two per week, and let my wife take the Fit to her work, leaving the Element (not pictured anywhere) to sit and not guzzle gas.
That wagon is so freaking cool!! Does that have the same motor in it? I've always thought those were kind of quirky/cool but seeing one lowered with some tasteful mods really does it for me. Love station wagons. I sold this one to buy the Omni. 160 mph grocery getter. http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gall...us2008+001.jpg

BTW:

Here's a quick video of the 1992 w/B18C5 from a Flip camera I jammed in the passenger seat head rest:

YouTube - B18C5 EH2
Damn that sounds healthy! The turbo dodges are super quiet and kind of sound like a tractor.

Last edited by Chad T; 04-03-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit Sport to Replace '90 Civic Wagon w/B18B?