General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

OBDLink Bluetooth + Torque = Awesome

Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
OBDLink Bluetooth + Torque = Awesome

I got my OBDLink Bluetooth yesterday so I plugged it in, fired up the car, and got the OBDLink bonded to my android phone really fast. Setting up Torque was an absolute breeze and within 30 minutes I had everything working.

There are a few things that Torque is missing that ScanGauge could do so I'll probably be writing some plugins for it in the near future to give me some things that I really want. For example, I want it to tell me how many miles are left given how full the gas tank is and a current 5min average mpg.

What other gauges or info would be useful for getting highest mileage?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Sweet.
I don't have an answer to your question but I have some of my own...

I see that there are different options for the ODB/Bluetooth unit. Do you know if there is any difference? I read in some of the Amazon reviews that the reporting isnt quite real-time. They've been saying its a 1-5 sec reporting. Is this what you are experiencing?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I haven't noticed any lag at all and I can't imagine seeing any because of the way the bluetooth works with it. That being said, I did buy the scantool just to make sure I got the fastest model and I have enabled the fast update mode.

The scantool works as a bluetooth serial port. It's essentially doing 38-500kb over the air and at those speeds it should be plenty fast. If others have seen lag then maybe it's because of the quality of unit.

Originally Posted by spline9
Sweet.
I don't have an answer to your question but I have some of my own...

I see that there are different options for the ODB/Bluetooth unit. Do you know if there is any difference? I read in some of the Amazon reviews that the reporting isnt quite real-time. They've been saying its a 1-5 sec reporting. Is this what you are experiencing?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply!
I have a feeling people may not be enabling the fast update mode but I dont have any experience with these units so I cant say for sure.

One more question... Would you mind posting the model of unit you have? I've checked Amazon and this is what I've found:

ElmScan 5 Compact USB OBD-II Scan Tool & OBDWiz Engine Diagnostic Software (423001)

OBDLink SX Scan Tool USB Interface w/ OBDwiz Diagnostic Software

XITECH ELM327 BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
The model I got is this one:
OBDLink Bluetooth Scan Tool
Part number: 4251BT
ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink Bluetooth OBD Interface Scan Tool - ScanTool.net

I ordered it direct from the scantool.net site instead of through Amazon. I did this because amazon's shipping is $10 and the USPS Priority shipping from scantool.net is $15.

The amazon link for the same product is: Amazon.com: OBDLink Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool Interface Adapter & Software (425103): Automotive

I'll be driving the car tomorrow and I'll do some work on figuring out what, if any, lag time there is. I honestly don't think there is any because I was watching the rpm gauge last night and it was spot on but I'll check again.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply!
I have a feeling people may not be enabling the fast update mode but I dont have any experience with these units so I cant say for sure.

One more question... Would you mind posting the model of unit you have? I've checked Amazon and this is what I've found:

ElmScan 5 Compact USB OBD-II Scan Tool & OBDWiz Engine Diagnostic Software (423001)

OBDLink SX Scan Tool USB Interface w/ OBDwiz Diagnostic Software

XITECH ELM327 BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, excellent. I'd like to see more about what you think about it as you continue using it. I'll pretty sure I'll order one in the near future.
Thanks, again!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I did some testing this morning and have discovered why people think there's a lag. If you look at the actual numbers being transmitted you can see there's no lag with the numbers. What's happening is the conversion/drawing of the gauges/dials from the numbers provided is not optimal. If your phone is slow or has things going on then it can seem to have a small lag time between rpm changes and the dial updating. I haven't seen this for anything other than rpm right now.

My guess is that the application developer hasn't put in a filter to allow only x number of updates per second. Without that, if you get a huge number of updates then it will try to draw all of them and that can mean you may get the appearance of lag.

My phone (Droid 2) is fast enough so I've never seen lag more than .5 seconds. I'll test it out with a Droid 1 emulator this evening...

Cheers,
Kevin

Oh, excellent. I'd like to see more about what you think about it as you continue using it. I'll pretty sure I'll order one in the near future.
Thanks, again!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
That makes a lot of sense. So it basically needs a limiter on how frequently it polls instead of choking on data and posting what it has time to make sense of.

My phone is a Nexus One. Considering it's the reference dev phone, I'm going to guess it will work fine.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
the little cool bluetooth device works for my HTC phone

have some problems at the begining for settings. taken half day to get this 23$ device to work with my HTC phone. ..LOL...
Hottest Bluetooth ELM327 ODB II 2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool Bluetooth ELM327 ODB II 2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool [HCO0053] - $23.00 : hoyasource:, your reliable supplier! Worldwide free shipping.

Originally Posted by iconicflux
I got my OBDLink Bluetooth yesterday so I plugged it in, fired up the car, and got the OBDLink bonded to my android phone really fast. Setting up Torque was an absolute breeze and within 30 minutes I had everything working.

There are a few things that Torque is missing that ScanGauge could do so I'll probably be writing some plugins for it in the near future to give me some things that I really want. For example, I want it to tell me how many miles are left given how full the gas tank is and a current 5min average mpg.

What other gauges or info would be useful for getting highest mileage?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
sub'd for info.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Josesmith
have some problems at the begining for settings. taken half day to get this 23$ device to work with my HTC phone. ..LOL...
Hottest Bluetooth ELM327 ODB II 2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool Bluetooth ELM327 ODB II 2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool [HCO0053] - $23.00 : hoyasource:, your reliable supplier! Worldwide free shipping.

Does anyone have tips for configuring and/or calibrating the Torque app? I setup the tank size and weight. Beyond that I don't see much else. On an 8 mile drive in mixed traffic the heater it showed average MPG at 42.0. I'd be lucky to max out with that kind of mileage in nice weather on an open road. 2008 MT.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dyussen
Does anyone have tips for configuring and/or calibrating the Torque app? I setup the tank size and weight. Beyond that I don't see much else. On an 8 mile drive in mixed traffic the heater it showed average MPG at 42.0. I'd be lucky to max out with that kind of mileage in nice weather on an open road. 2008 MT.

Manual transmission?? i thought these torque configurations were only exclusive to automatics.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
Manual transmission?? i thought these torque configurations were only exclusive to automatics.
No they work on either. Or should. I guess the adjustment factor lets me adjust the mpg calx down but it's just guessing...

Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
So Newb it's scary

Good evening,

I will take delivery of my 2010 Fit on Monday, yet I've already purchased the Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner from Amazon. I have a Samsung Galaxy IIs so I was wondering if there have been any updates on set up for the Torque app or any other suggested apps out there?

Dave

Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I used this one until I loaned it out and never got it back... have to go get it again so I can use it with my Fit.

[BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 on Amazon](
Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Automotive
)

$24, worked flawlessly with my Nissan. Used it for awhile for speedometer/tachometer when my instrument panel took a crap.

One thing I always found neat with Torque is you can add a GPS speed widget, an OBD speed widget and compare the difference to your instrument panel.

The realtime uploads to web server for logging is pretty cool too.

Last edited by SgtBaxter; 07-31-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by SgtBaxter
I used this one until I loaned it out and never got it back... have to go get it again so I can use it with my Fit.

[BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 on Amazon](Amazon.com: BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Automotive)

$24, worked flawlessly with my Nissan. Used it for awhile for speedometer/tachometer when my instrument panel took a crap.

One thing I always found neat with Torque is you can add a GPS speed widget, an OBD speed widget and compare the difference to your instrument panel.

The realtime uploads to web server for logging is pretty cool too.
Awesome, thanks for the great find!

Lots of great info in this thread in general. Keep it up guys!