General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Re-design question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Re-design question

Please forgive me for bringing up something that is probably old news to everyone on here but I have been considering purchasing my first Honda fit and I just noticed a design difference occured between 2007 and 2008,09,10,11 model years. The front end of the 2008-11 Fits seem elongated and pointed slightly downward (when looking at it from the side). Does anyone know why Honda did this because it looks like the rest of the car is unchanged?
Also, were there any changes in the Fits reliability rating after the change? If so, can you tell me if they were negative or positive?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shawnshank
Please forgive me for bringing up something that is probably old news to everyone on here but I have been considering purchasing my first Honda fit and I just noticed a design difference occured between 2007 and 2008,09,10,11 model years. The front end of the 2008-11 Fits seem elongated and pointed slightly downward (when looking at it from the side). Does anyone know why Honda did this because it looks like the rest of the car is unchanged?
Also, were there any changes in the Fits reliability rating after the change? If so, can you tell me if they were negative or positive?
There are a lot more changes than just the front nose. Basically the entire body of the GE models(2009-2011) are larger than the previous GD models(2007-2008 or earlier in other markets aside from USDM)

As far as engine and drivetrain, the newer fit's use an i-vtec sohc 1.5L engine that puts out apx 15-20hp more than the previous model with a vtec sohc.

For some more information on the differences, there is a thread here discussing it more in depth.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...8-vs-09-a.html

Search is your friend...be not afraid

Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
The first gen (07-08) and the second gen (09-11) are two totally different chassis.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
What about reliability? Did it go up or down or stay the same following the change?

Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
The first gen (07-08) and the second gen (09-11) are two totally different chassis.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
What about reliability? Did it go up or down or stay the same following the change?
Well, both are made by honda, so....

Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
The GD3 is the original!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Well, both are made by honda, so....
(Opens up the CR 2011 Auto issue)...

Honda has it's issues from time to time (Element and Accord brakes, Odyssey body integrity, Hybrid Electrical systems), but the meat'n'potatoes 4-cylinder compacts are usually pretty spot-on. (The Fit is better than any other car they list).

As far as the small hatches go, the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Scion xA, xB, and xD are all basically bulletproof. They are lit up with mostly red circles. The Versa is kinda 'meh.' Not down at Aveo levels, but also not up to Hyundai Accent or Levels. Of note in the Japanese cars (and to less extent the Hyundai) is that the drivetrain is great, and most markdowns tend to be in things like paint, body integrity, trim, etc. It's exactly what you'd expect in cheap cars built to a price point: superb engineering, OK cosmetic bits.

For fun, look at the reliability history for the Chevrolet Aveo has more black holes than a Stephen Hawking book.

Also of note: NO car had a lower cost per mile, after accounting for fuel, insurance, interest, maintenance, depreciation, etc. over 5 years, than the base trim Honda Fit. NOT A SINGLE ONE. 44 cents per mile.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
(Opens up the CR 2011 Auto issue)...

Honda has it's issues from time to time (Element and Accord brakes, Odyssey body integrity, Hybrid Electrical systems), but the meat'n'potatoes 4-cylinder compacts are usually pretty spot-on. (The Fit is better than any other car they list).

As far as the small hatches go, the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Scion xA, xB, and xD are all basically bulletproof. They are lit up with mostly red circles. The Versa is kinda 'meh.' Not down at Aveo levels, but also not up to Hyundai Accent or Levels. Of note in the Japanese cars (and to less extent the Hyundai) is that the drivetrain is great, and most markdowns tend to be in things like paint, body integrity, trim, etc. It's exactly what you'd expect in cheap cars built to a price point: superb engineering, OK cosmetic bits.

For fun, look at the reliability history for the Chevrolet Aveo has more black holes than a Stephen Hawking book.

Also of note: NO car had a lower cost per mile, after accounting for fuel, insurance, interest, maintenance, depreciation, etc. over 5 years, than the base trim Honda Fit. NOT A SINGLE ONE. 44 cents per mile.
Thanks for the info from CR. I wanted to buy that issue for the sole purpose of that article but you just saved me the time and money so thanks! Although the Yaris may compete with the fit in the categories of reliability, cost and gas mileage, the fit blows the Yaris away in style and interior qualitiy. The yaris seems so flimsy and cheap compared to the fit. Did consumer reports say anything about the fiesta? They probably don't have any real reliability data on it yet but I'd be curious to see how it stacks up against the fit because the fiesta is the only sub compact hatchback I have found that can compete with the fit as far as exterior styling is concerned. That said, even if they were the same in all other categories I would still go with the honda due to their history of reliability.
Unfortunately the prices of used fits are coming up to the cost of a new fit and the new fits are going up because car dealers just have to screw you every chance they get. Given the fears of $4.00 a gallon by Memorial day, they see an opportunity to make some money off of fuel efficent cars and they are all over it. I think people are looking for an alternative to the corolla finally because there are plenty of used corollas out there for cheap money but used fits are few and far between and more expensive.

Last edited by shawnshank; 04-13-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Given the fears of $4.00 a gallon by Memorial day
I need to laugh at this because I am already at 4bucks per gallon and it just keeps going up. As good as the fit is at saving gas, i may consider getting a cheap motorcycle for my work commute if it gets close to $5/gal

Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Where are you from? We haven't reached $4 here yet.
I'm not sure how far your commute is or whether or not you have to drive on the highway to get there but you should consider one of these if it's close / no highway travel. I built one a couple years ago and it's awesome. I get around 100 mpg and it goes 35mph (I'm 6'2 210lbs)- you might get different numbers depending on your size but you don't have to register it or insure it like you would a motorcycle and if you put it on a sturdy bike and treat it right, it should last quite a long time.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I need to laugh at this because I am already at 4bucks per gallon and it just keeps going up. As good as the fit is at saving gas, i may consider getting a cheap motorcycle for my work commute if it gets close to $5/gal

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Where are you from? We haven't reached $4 here yet.
I'm not sure how far your commute is or whether or not you have to drive on the highway to get there but you should consider one of these if it's close / no highway travel. I built one a couple years ago and it's awesome. I get around 100 mpg and it goes 35mph (I'm 6'2 210lbs)- you might get different numbers depending on your size but you don't have to register it or insure it like you would a motorcycle and if you put it on a sturdy bike and treat it right, it should last quite a long time.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More
I live on Long Island, NY. I would consider building something like that however, most of the roads I drive on are 40-45mph or higher. And if i did get a motorcycle i would only be using one of the main highways here because its a little safer then the crowded bumper to bumper traffic on the other roads. My commute is usually about 30-45min each way but its only 13miles...eek

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info from CR. I wanted to buy that issue for the sole purpose of that article but you just saved me the time and money so thanks! Although the Yaris may compete with the fit in the categories of reliability, cost and gas mileage, the fit blows the Yaris away in style and interior qualitiy. The yaris seems so flimsy and cheap compared to the fit. Did consumer reports say anything about the fiesta? They probably don't have any real reliability data on it yet but I'd be curious to see how it stacks up against the fit because the fiesta is the only sub compact hatchback I have found that can compete with the fit as far as exterior styling is concerned. That said, even if they were the same in all other categories I would still go with the honda due to their history of reliability.
Unfortunately the prices of used fits are coming up to the cost of a new fit and the new fits are going up because car dealers just have to screw you every chance they get. Given the fears of $4.00 a gallon by Memorial day, they see an opportunity to make some money off of fuel efficent cars and they are all over it. I think people are looking for an alternative to the corolla finally because there are plenty of used corollas out there for cheap money but used fits are few and far between and more expensive.
re Fiesta: Short version: rated higher on headlights, ride, quietness, emergency handling. Equal on front seat comfort, braking, controls, fit/finish, braking, routine handling, cargo. Lower on all aspects of rear seat, acceleration, transmission, driving position. Posted faster speed in emergency avoidance maneuver, but significantly slower acceleration. As always, the reviews are subjective - I found the Fiestas driving position to be better, but for my long legs, legroom is a larger determining factor than for a shorter person. Overall scores: 76 forthe Fit, 65 for the Fiesta.

I haven't sat inside the current Yaris, but the ex-wife used to have an Echo - it was unbelievably cheap and flimsy inside. Not as bad as a Toyota Aygo, but still chintzy.

$4 or near $4 gas has been the deal here for a little while. As far as that goes, the monthly cost to drive a Fit is (wild guess) $350-450/month in payment+insurance, probably less. At $4/gallon for 1K miles/month, you're paying $133/month. at $3, it was about 100. If gas goes to 5, that's $167. A 60 increase in monthly costa for gas isn't fun, but shouldn't be a bank-breaker. If it is, perhaps driving a late model car isn't the best idea.

Also, don't see a reason to blast car dealers for higher sale prices on used subcompacts. If you were trading/selling your Fit, you'd expect a good price in a world with high gas prices, right? Why the hate for a businessman who does the same, especially since he likely paid more for the car than he would have a year or two ago.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Also, don't see a reason to blast car dealers for higher sale prices on used subcompacts. If you were trading/selling your Fit, you'd expect a good price in a world with high gas prices, right? Why the hate for a businessman who does the same, especially since he likely paid more for the car than he would have a year or two ago.
Fair enough!