General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I think my body shop damaged my abs and brakes during a repair. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I think my body shop damaged my abs and brakes during a repair. Help!

Hi,

I have a first gen fit and was recently involved in a collision and had my front bumper and A/C condenser replaced. When I got the car back, my ABS and brake lights were on and won't go out. They weren't on when I dropped the car off. I think the body shop damaged or disconnected something during the repairs. They are lying and saying that the car was dropped off with those lights on. What do you suggest I do?

thanks,

Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Could be an associated problem with the front wheel sensors. To know why the light will not go off one will need to check DTC's [codes]. If the repairs were done under an insurance claim not sure why the shop is balking. It's wouldn't be unusual in a front end collision for the wheels to take a hit.

The ABS modulator is under the hood on the passenger side, this too might have been effected by the crash.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM
thanks for your suggestions. The repair shop is balking because they aren't a honda dealer and dont know anything about Hondas. the insurance company (GEICO) is balking because they are saying the only things that were damaged/replaced (hood, doors, A/C condenser) dont have anything to do with the ABS/Brakes.

All I know is I dropped off my car without any of the warning lights on, and I got it back with the ABS and brake light on. I'm pretty sure they must have damaged or mis-connected something during the repairs, and nobody will take responsibility.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Without knowing what's wrong, its hard to say where the fault it. Its plausible that the repair shop broke something during the repair, but its at least as likely that the accident damaged something in the brake system that took a bit of time to register.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
its quite possible the lights came on when they started it and were not on before. Its not like they just gradually come on or anything, their either on for some reason or they are off.
Kinda like a computer, it works one day, turn it off then back on the next and it doesnt work at all.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
don't be so quick to blame. its better just to find out what's specifically wrong first then go from there. if there should be any reimbursements made later due to the direct relation to the work you've previously had done to the reason why your lights came on, it'll be easier to get that reimbursement if you have direct proof from a valid source. If not at lease you fixed the problem. remember its YOUR problem and nobody's going to care untill it becomes THEIR problem.