General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2012 Honda Fit Information?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
2012 Honda Fit Information?

Has anyone heard or read of anything about the 2012 Honda Fit for the U.S. market? I've been trying to dig up some research, but haven't been able to come across anything.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't you heard the 2012 fits are gonna have a 6 speed gear box, Optionally Turbo-ed or Supercharged from the factory, and a 32 color selection! I for one can't wait

Old 05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Haven't you heard the 2012 fits are gonna have a 6 speed gear box, Optionally Turbo-ed or Supercharged from the factory, and a 32 color selection! I for one can't wait
I've seen that one thread talking about it, but it was a few months ago. Thought it was just rumors. I was wondering if anyone heard of anything more solid.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
I've seen that one thread talking about it, but it was a few months ago. Thought it was just rumors. I was wondering if anyone heard of anything more solid.
I was just bs'ing but i'd really like to see those options. Minus the color one. I'm happy with the options we have now

Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think Honda will make any major changes until they bring out the next generation Fit, which won't likely be in the 2012 model year since they usually run a body style for 4 years. The 07-08 Fit was the exception in America since the Fit (Jazz) was out for a few years everywhere else before we got it, so when everyone else got the 4 year body change we got it too.

I would not be surprised to see an "Eco" mode button on the next Fit, body change or not. Honda has added the "Eco" button to its 2012 redesigned Civics even if they are not an HF or hybrid model.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
I would really like to see a 6-speed MT and ECON button for the 2012 model. I also wouldn't mind seeing changes to the front and rear ends.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM
it will be a "refresh". basically they just alter the lights a tad, some minor things change that's it. That much was considered "highly likely" by Honda sources.
The rumors i last read were 6sp manual and 5sp automatics. The 6 gear manuals result in 1 mile per gallon increase in fuel economy, that being 36mph highway. Reasons were listed, don't recall why.

The "hybrid" will not appear until 2013. A couple new color choices were rumored and most of the insider's say that other than the slight refresh, it will be the same as 2011.
Oh and they wont be released at least until Sept. possibly later in the year to November.
I for one am hoping the release date is a false rumor and will come out much sooner but i doubt it.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
A 6 speed manual is becoming the standard in this class (Fiesta, Versa, Accent, Rio). Already, Gasoline direct injection is making its way into the segment (Accent/Rio) and is the C-class cars one notch up the food chain (Focus, Elantra). No CVT option... no DSG.

Why is Honda peddling old-tech while others are developing their images as technological innovators? C'mon Honda, be the company that once proudly paraded VTEC when it was cool, not the company that still parades VTEC as if it matters.

Know how many other value-priced hatches highway MPG ratings below 34 mpg? The Scion xD (33), the Nissan versa 6-spd (31), The VW Golf (2.5L - 31/33) and the Dodge Caliber (who cares... yeagh!)

33 highway is midsized car territory these days. For city, 27 is still acceptible, but only just, and most cars getting these numbers offer more power. The Accent is coming to eat Honda's lunch... they need to get back on the ball and stop this General Motors BS of "well, it's proven techology (Buick 3800) and we can still make money (Buick 3800) by selling it to people who won't bother to cross-shop (Buick 3800). Yes, the fit offers a lot of cargo hauling capacity, but the Accent is hot on its tail, and offers WAY better than 27/33 or 28/35.

If Honda is looking to make the Fit more of a mini-utility vehicle and not a gas-sipper, why stick with the tiny engine? Drop an engine with more (130-140 hp) power in there and be done with it.

I like Honda, but the direction they are going really, really concerns me.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i'll have to see the 2012 spec sheet before i decide to get my next dd, i guess.

im close on my way out of my 08 GD so ive been kinda looking around for the next car. there's no rush for me cause my car was paid cash, but i know now's a good time to get a decent trade in if im going to sell it. if there's such thing as a Fit-RS i'll have to take a close look, but then even with a standard Fit with 6MT would be a big improvement over my current 5MT.

i keep thinking i got 6th gear in my GD after driving highway in my other cars.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
i think the 2011 is pretty solid as is. i have found that 6 speeds are more hassle than they are worth. only thing honda really effed up on with the fit is the rear drums. i mean come on, 95 civic had rear disc, get with the times!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam

The VW Golf (2.5L - 31/33) and the Dodge Caliber (who cares... yeagh!)

33 highway is midsized car territory these days.

Don't get confused between the advertised rating and the actual results.

Most cars that advertise lower 30s average lower 20s. And it's no surprise with the heavies cars and bigger engines.

Honda Civics advertise 36 mpg highway while most people report mid to high 20s average.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by john21031
Don't get confused between the advertised rating and the actual results.

Most cars that advertise lower 30s average lower 20s. And it's no surprise with the heavies cars and bigger engines.

Honda Civics advertise 36 mpg highway while most people report mid to high 20s average.
My TC is rated at 23/31. My mostly city driving has gotten me ~25-26, and a brief, just after 1000 miles highway drive showed 34. The Fit was giving me 26-27 city, but closer to 37-40 highway. I think this has more to do with going from auto to stick, but I can't complain at all after jumping from a 1.5l to a 2.5l and gaining 400+ lbs and 60 hp. I'll be doing a cross country trip soon... We'll see how she does!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, the fit offers a lot of cargo hauling capacity, but the Accent is hot on its tail, and offers WAY better than 27/33 or 28/35.
What way better? Near identical mpg as the Fit.
2011 Hyundai Accent
A/T 27/36 mpg
M/T 28/34 mpg

Granted the Accent numbers are increasing for 2012 but you can't compare that to unknown 2012 Fit numbers.

I'll gladly sacrifice some mpg for my SUV like cargo capacity. Both the Accent and Elantra are still sedans. If you want a hatchback with comparable cargo volume you must go to Elantra Touring which gets only 23/30 mpg A/T, compare those numbers to the Fit A/T at 28/35. Now that is way better!
_

Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
A 6 speed manual is becoming the standard in this class (Fiesta, Versa, Accent, Rio). Already, Gasoline direct injection is making its way into the segment (Accent/Rio) and is the C-class cars one notch up the food chain (Focus, Elantra). No CVT option... no DSG.

Why is Honda peddling old-tech while others are developing their images as technological innovators? C'mon Honda, be the company that once proudly paraded VTEC when it was cool, not the company that still parades VTEC as if it matters.
They are preparing for the hybrid move... right now they are improving their electric assist technology... i personally won't buy any new Fit until Honda comes out with a hybrid version... Their current technology still works, and is still somewhat competitive in the market so they don't need to change much yet.

Once they've iron out their electric/hybrid version, they will roll it out. They already announced there will be a EV version of the Fit, which will get about 160 miles per charge i think. I'd let them test their shit for another year or 2, then it would be the best time to switch over for a new Fit.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
What way better? Near identical mpg as the Fit.
2011 Hyundai Accent
A/T 27/36 mpg
M/T 28/34 mpg

Granted the Accent numbers are increasing for 2012 but you can't compare that to unknown 2012 Fit numbers.

I'll gladly sacrifice some mpg for my SUV like cargo capacity. Both the Accent and Elantra are still sedans. If you want a hatchback with comparable cargo volume you must go to Elantra Touring which gets only 23/30 mpg A/T, compare those numbers to the Fit A/T at 28/35. Now that is way better!
_
OK... we'll follow up when Honda releases the 2012 Fit. I'm sure they'll bring lots of improvements and not just change up the headlights.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by fitisno
i think the 2011 is pretty solid as is. i have found that 6 speeds are more hassle than they are worth. only thing honda really effed up on with the fit is the rear drums. i mean come on, 95 civic had rear disc, get with the times!
my 05 Civic has rear drums. its a base model but things like this are more related to price and to fit into a specified class of car. Adding more gears, more horsepower..etc completely removes the cheaper class of cars and we end up with a sub compact car that's priced more to compete with mid sized cars, or just as bad sales wise, to not even fall into a specified class all of which kinda defeats the purpose.

If its to say they can add all that and still hit the low price point then someone would scream anti competitive of which such conduct is regulated and is only useful to consumers for short term. There is a very fine line between harmful predation from procompetitive discounting.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Regarding the subject of FIT rear drums versus competitors rear discs, at the risk of asking a dumb question, how much of a performance advantage of discs over drums?

Practically speaking, I found that my front sports rim supported by disc brakes needs more time to upkeep and rim clean to get rid of brake dust settling on the sports rims which is almost non-existence on my rear drum brake sports rims

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ric01
Regarding the subject of FIT rear drums versus competitors rear discs, at the risk of asking a dumb question, how much of a performance advantage of discs over drums?

Practically speaking, I found that my front sports rim supported by disc brakes needs more time to upkeep and rim clean to get rid of brake dust settling on the sports rims which is almost non-existence on my rear drum brake sports rims
In normal driving, you won't see much (if any) of an improvement since:
a) You won't be full-force braking most of the time
b) During braking, the most of the power comes from the front brakes

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by soulfly
my 05 Civic has rear drums. its a base model but things like this are more related to price and to fit into a specified class of car. Adding more gears, more horsepower..etc completely removes the cheaper class of cars and we end up with a sub compact car that's priced more to compete with mid sized cars, or just as bad sales wise, to not even fall into a specified class all of which kinda defeats the purpose.

If its to say they can add all that and still hit the low price point then someone would scream anti competitive of which such conduct is regulated and is only useful to consumers for short term. There is a very fine line between harmful predation from procompetitive discounting.
I don't think it was just a base model thing. My '04 civic EX has rear drums. I was kinda bummed about it when I bought the car 6-7 years ago. But it was only a minor thing and its my DD so I don't notice the drums. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Fit or new Si as my DD but I just can't get rid of my 04 civic since its about to join the 200k club and still runs likes its brand new.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
new changes info for 2012 honda fit.

2012 Honda Fit: Ch-Ch-Changes - KickingTires

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Fit Information?