General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Advice wanted: cleaning inside windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Advice wanted: cleaning inside windshield

Hi all,

I've been cleaning and detailing my cars for years but remain stumped about one seemingly easy and straightforward task: cleaning the inside of my windshield.

Actually, when I bought my 07 Fit new, I vowed never to touch the inside of the windshield so as to avoid having to ever clean it. When I did finally succumb (there was a single mark on the inside that was bugging me so much I had to clean it...thus starting this saga), I did my best, most thorough job (with a microfiber cloth and windex...then with just the cloth) and still see wiping marks and a general foggyness...usually when light is shining directly through (oncoming headlights, the direct sun, etc.). I have attacked it with elbow grease and a microfiber cloth many times since but still cannot get rid of general streaks and wipe marks.

Question: does anyone have it figured out? How can I clean the inside of my windshield so it's as clear as when it left the factory? Is it possible? Any tricks or tips you have would be very much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
A product called auto glass cleaner by advanced auto parts works well for me along with a fresh micro fiber cloth.

I stay clear of windex on the car.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
A product called auto glass cleaner by advanced auto parts works well for me along with a fresh micro fiber cloth.

I stay clear of windex on the car.

cant get any better than this. works like a charm everytime.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Wonderful. Do you use a different microfiber cloth each time? Any recommendations there?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
to go target and get a window wizard in the automotive section. it's a triangular pad that you wrap MF bonnets to with a handle. buy 2 of them...one to apply the cleaner and one to wipe dry. then you can reach all the way to the front without killing yourself. hahahahaa

As for glass cleaner i use Prima Clarity /Griot's WindowCleaner as my main cleaner but stoner's works very well too. trick is not to use too much product on the glass.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
here, this is the griot's one that i use... window wizard is the same thing but i think they were now sold with a yellow handle.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Glass cleaner and newspaper, thats what i did

Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
If you're having a problem I'd change cloths. I use windex and scott towel or a generic and never have a problem.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
here, this is the griot's one that i use... window wizard is the same thing but i think they were now sold with a yellow handle.

I just use it tonight and it gets into the bottom corners well.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, all. I ended up getting the simply-named "Glass Cleaner" from Advanced Auto Parts, along with some larger (and on-sale) microfiber towels.

I'll let you know how it goes and if I decide I need the magic wand applicator (which looks fantastic).

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
The real trick is not to let any of the glass cleaner dry on the glass. It has to be removed WHILE STILL WET. If the cleaner dries on the surface, it leaves the oil and dirt behind on the glass, causing streaks and smears. This means you need cool glass (to the touch, that is), and shade, a cloudy day or inside the garage.

I don't like microfiber towels for glass, because they shed tiny fibers on the glass which reflect sunlight. I prefer well laundered terrycloth towels.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Second thought on my micro towel suggestion.... Our Uncle is right. But for me - glass cleaning is my traditional use for cotton diapers.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I don't like microfiber towels for glass, because they shed tiny fibers on the glass which reflect sunlight. I prefer well laundered terrycloth towels.
hummm...could be that you are using the wrong type of MF towel and or washing the MF towels with your terry cotton towels (quick way to contaminate MF towels). using bleach or softeners will permanently kill MF towels.

i use MF towels made specifically for glass use. no lint. they are very short weave and look different from the ther MF towels for buffing or utility use.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Invisible Glass (Spray in can not plastic bottle) + Car Glass cleaner towel at your local parts store.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feifei
Glass cleaner and newspaper, thats what i did
this def works the best, no streaks, and good for the environment.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gate_Crasher
Invisible Glass (Spray in can not plastic bottle) + Car Glass cleaner towel at your local parts store.
^This. Invisible glass is my go to glass cleaner, in the car and house!

But you GOTTA get the one in the aerosol can. The plastic bottle sucks!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Add one more for invisible glass. Its all I will use. Clean with microfibers. I've found the key is washing the glass 2-3x to get it nice and clean. Another trick is the cloth itself. Put your washing machine on the 2nd rinse option when washing microfibers. If you do not do this, the detergent will stay bonded in the fibers of the towel which leads to streaking. Try that, it works well for me.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Invisible Glass again and I use newspaper print black and white only, no color!!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Windex and most other over-the-counter window/glass sprays are garbage. Prima Clarity, Sprayway (the no ammonia versions), Lusso Glass Polish and Stoner's Invisible Glass are all much better cleaners. There is nothing wrong with using microfiber but for this application you would be better off with one of the relatively smooth finish microfiber towels rather than the plush, terry cloth-like MF towels. Good quality, properly cared for, MF should be more lint free than cotton towels or diapers.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
In a perfect world, I suppose, but my mf towels spend more time cleaning bugs off the Harley, so they're never in the best of shape for very long.

Quick Reply: Advice wanted: cleaning inside windshield