General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Need help choosing between Fit, Accent & Focus

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Need help choosing between Fit, Accent & Focus

I'm getting ready to buy a new car. Here are my criteria:

- Price (under $23k)
- Fuel economy
- Interior features/styling
- Quiet / little road noise
- Fun to drive
- Cargo space
- Reliability

I'm choosing between the 2011 Honda Fit, the 2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback and 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback.

They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Accent
Pros: 30/40 mileage, upmarket interior styling, quiet, reliable, best warranty, decent cargo space, lower resale value than Honda, cheapest of the 3
Cons: rear seats don't fold all the way down, less cargo space than Fit, no option for leather seats

Focus
Pros: most fun to drive of the three (for me, anyways), European feel, 28/38 mileage, upmarket interior, option for leather seats, decent cargo space
Cons: more expensive when configured with options, not enough legroom in back seat, rear seats don't fold all the way down, less cargo space than Fit, lower resale value than Honda

Fit
Pros: huge amount of cargo space, seats fold flat (and fold up for vertical space), reliable, high resale value, can do leather with aftermarket (Clazzio) option, good handling and peppy, cheaper than Focus
Cons: engine noise, not as quiet as Accent or Focus, no bluetooth, chintzy plastic interior

The two things that bothered me most about the fit were the louder ride (when compared with the Accent and Focus) and the cheap plastic interior.

I've been going back and forth trying to make a decision, without much luck. I thought I'd ask for some help/insight here.

If you had to choose between these three, which would you choose?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM
The Accent and Focus weren't on dealer lots yet when I got my Fit but I looked at the reviews and comparison tests to decide whether to wait or not.

I ended up just getting the Fit for several reasons:

1. Most importantly I wanted a stick shift since my other cars are an automatic and a dual-clutch so I was missing having a good old manual. The Focus has a manual but only on the spartan base model. The Accent offers a six-speed in all trims but Honda is renowned for having slick shifters while Hyundai isn't. The Genesis Coupe shifter is just okay so I wasn't expecting much better in a cheaper model.

2. From what I was reading the Fit had the edge in terms of the fun-to-drive quotient. The Focus was also good but that was overriden by the lack of a manual in a higher trim level. The Accent was quite dull based on early tests.

3. Honda was running a 0.9% APR offer at the time and with the Accent and Focus being brand new I knew they wouldn't have anything like that right away.

4. Lastly, I like to mod so the Fit had a clear edge. Having been out for 3 years already there were a lot more products out there. Not as many as I would like but still more than the Accent and Focus would certainly have especially right away.

Anyway, those were my reasons. Your priorities are probably much different to mine but it may be of some help.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
get the accent, leave the fits for people that know a good car when they see/drive/resale one
my .02

Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by gsx-r35
The Accent and Focus weren't on dealer lots yet when I got my Fit but I looked at the reviews and comparison tests to decide whether to wait or not.

I ended up just getting the Fit for several reasons:

1. Most importantly I wanted a stick shift since my other cars are an automatic and a dual-clutch so I was missing having a good old manual. The Focus has a manual but only on the spartan base model. The Accent offers a six-speed in all trims but Honda is renowned for having slick shifters while Hyundai isn't. The Genesis Coupe shifter is just okay so I wasn't expecting much better in a cheaper model.

2. From what I was reading the Fit had the edge in terms of the fun-to-drive quotient. The Focus was also good but that was overriden by the lack of a manual in a higher trim level. The Accent was quite dull based on early tests.

3. Honda was running a 0.9% APR offer at the time and with the Accent and Focus being brand new I knew they wouldn't have anything like that right away.

4. Lastly, I like to mod so the Fit had a clear edge. Having been out for 3 years already there were a lot more products out there. Not as many as I would like but still more than the Accent and Focus would certainly have especially right away.

Anyway, those were my reasons. Your priorities are probably much different to mine but it may be of some help.
It's true, my priorities are quite different but #3 & #4 are somewhat relevant. I'm planning on financing 50% of the cost, so 0.9% will save me a few bucks over 36 months.

And two mods I know I'll do for sure as soon as I get the Fit are Clazzio leather seat covers and aftermarket Bluetooth.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
get the accent, leave the fits for people that know a good car when they see/drive/resale one
my .02
Thanks for a fantastically unhelpful fanboy reply. Why did you even bother?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by switters
Thanks for a fantastically unhelpful fanboy reply. Why did you even bother?
Well, while I do think vtecfit1 could've been a little... "nicer." I am inclined to agree/defend his statement to some degree.

I don't think the Fit has "chintzy plastic interior"... okay, so it's not soft plastic, leather or vinyl wrapped, but why would I need it to be? Why do I need it to be anything other than material for a dash board or glove box?

No leather? oh well. Personally, I don't like the feel of leather all that much. About the only good thing I like is, easier to wipe down.

Take a good long look at the three cars. If they can't keep your attention for more than 5 seconds... don't bother thinking about anything in terms of style or materials.

Sit in the car, if you can't get comfortable in the test drive... go look at another car (or category).

Think about what it can do for you... does it get the job done? If you never haul anything more than a couple bags of groceries... or not even that. Then, who cares if the seats don't fold flat.

You're just being nit-picky about something that should be a relative no brainer for you. Its one thing to browse around to see owner reviews of cars, but if you have to go onto a forum for random strangers to convince you to buy a car or another... then... don't know what to tell you.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
You do realize you're asking this on a Fit forum, right?

I'm a little disappointed in the interior on the Fit myself. The plastic scratches easily, especially on the door arm rests and handles.

But this is no factor to me at all, compared to the reliability and resale edge held by the Fit.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Not to be brutal... but we are not sales staff and may not have experience with those other vehicles.

However, we are Fit owners and can talk ad nauseum about our individual experiences with the Fit and why we purchased it.

Sure, each of us likely has a list of items about the Fit that we would like to be different... but... we are going to have that list about any car.

The issue only you can decide is if that list will be shorter with the Fit or any of those other vehicles you mentioned. Ultimately it is about tradeoffs and hopefully you end up with a vehicle you can live with.

There were several other reasons but the 3 main reasons I purchased a Fit:

-Honda reliability reputation... I want to be driving it rather than it sitting in the garage getting repaired

-Amazing cargo capacity for a small vehicle... I don't haul stuff that often but I want the ability when the need is there.

-Great Honda dealer just down the street... I'm not interested in driving miles for service.

BTW, keep in mind that both the Focus and Accent are new and until some data is accumulated we won't know how they fare in terms of reliability.

I'm happy with the Fit.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Appreciate the replies. Just helps to hear the thought process you went through when you made your decision.

While I realize this is a Fit forum, it's not unreasonable to assume many of you considered other cars before you bought a Fit (and possibly the same cars I'm choosing between if you bought one recently).

The resale edge of the Honda is important, because if we have another child we may end up wanting a bigger car.

The engine noise is my main objection at this point, but I'm sure I'd learn to live with it.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
I think that taking a test drive of the 3 cars will give you the best answer.Remember... you will driving it everyday.Just take your time for the final choice....

Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I've taken them all for a drive. The Fit twice, actually. There are things I like and don't like about each.

The Focus feels sportiest of the bunch, except for a lag in acceleration from the start. Once you get up to higher speeds it's very peppy though, and it handles really well.

The Accent was extremely quiet for a car in this class. Felt much more like a mid-size sedan in that regard. It had similar acceleration and handling to the Fit.

You all know how the Fit drives. The engine noise is loud compared to the Accent and Focus, but like them it's pretty fun to drive and handles well.

I'm a surfer too. Do you shortboard or longboard? If shortboard, are you able to fit your board diagonally with the seats down? Or do you slide it in sideways between the two front seats?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Are you looking at the Focus or the Fiesta? I ask because the Focus is a class up from the Accent and Fit. The focus is in the same class as the Civic and Elantra. Its cost is notably higher. Being clear on that might make for better responses as many may assume at first, like I did, that you're talking about the Fiesta.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
I've driven Hondas exclusively since 1991, so I'm accustomed to the road and engine noise. So much so that I even put a PRM intake on my Fit. Me likey the sound. Try one of those for a month, then go back to the stock intake. You'll think you're driving a Lexus then.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by PoliceCallBox
Are you looking at the Focus or the Fiesta? I ask because the Focus is a class up from the Accent and Fit. The focus is in the same class as the Civic and Elantra. Its cost is notably higher. Being clear on that might make for better responses as many may assume at first, like I did, that you're talking about the Fiesta.
Good point. I didn't really think of that, but I guess that explains why the Focus is $5k more than the Fit in the configuration I'd want it in (SEL 5-door w/leather).

I'm not really considering the Fiesta because of how cramped the back seat is.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by switters
Good point. I didn't really think of that, but I guess that explains why the Focus is $5k more than the Fit in the configuration I'd want it in (SEL 5-door w/leather).

I'm not really considering the Fiesta because of how cramped the back seat is.
When I was shopping for cars, I really wanted to like the Fiesta...then I saw one up close, and that back seat is killer. I don't know how any adult could sit back there if the driver is taller than 5'8". That and I don't really like the center console. It looks way to busy and robotish....lol....The materials might be better than what's in the Fit, but I like the way the Fit's console looks.....

In the end, I chose the Fit....for the Honda quality, resale, and it looks damn cool

Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Accent/Fit are B-segment cars
Focus is a C-segment car.

If I'd do it all over, I'd get a Focus wagon (this is from a view point of a father now.)

Oh and although this is a forum dedicated for the Fit, I would hope more people would be auto enthusiasts rather then just Honda fanboys. Sadly that's not the case and that's the reason I don't visit as much.

Last edited by B-Blue; 06-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
B-seg... C-seg... whatever segment.

I hadn't thought about that... and in my case... still don't care about that kind of classification.

As long as what's in the car justifies the price, I'll consider it.

But that's just me.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
The Clazzios are as nice as any factory leather option, in my opinion. And many nicer aftermarket head units have built in bluetooth, killing two birds with one stone.

If you add an electronic throttle controller (not too expensive and super easy to install), I think you'll find the "fun to drive" gap widening even more. And I can tell you that out on the autocross course the Fits destroy the Focus.

I agree the car is a bit loud inside (which is ironic because it's as quiet as a mouse on the outside). And the plastic does get beat up fairly easily. Only you can say for yourself if those are deal breakers. I know they aren't for me. I love my car so much that I think my gf gets jealous sometimes hahaha.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
I would have gone with the focus or the mazda3 if I could do it over...but am happy with the fit...could use a bit more width and shoulder room though

Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I was in similar shoes a few months ago. I was trying to decide which B segment 5-door I wanted. In the end, what drove me to get Fit were:

1. Amazing manual transmission
2. Decent looking
3. Decent ride (good balance between soft and firm)
4. Resale value
5. 0.9% financing (why put money down when interest for 5 years is only $550?)
6. Reliable

What I'm loving about the car since I bought it:
1. Amazing mpg (I knew the EPA estimate was off but not by this much. I easily get 40+mpg on the highway and I've hit 50mpg using some hypermiling techniques.)
2. Pretty fun daily driver

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between Fit, Accent & Focus