General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How bad is this? Wrecked...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
UPDATE...How bad is this? Wrecked...

Just bought this Fit less than 2 weeks ago and already wrecked....only about 500 miles on it. Was going 45 mph(cruise control) a dodge caravan drove out of a shopping center and across 4 lanes.. slammed on brakes and swerved just a little so it wasn't straight on was a little bit of an angle. Hit the van almost dead center of its sliding side door. looks like the whole front of the car has shifted over to the side a little bit. no fluids leaking. car does run but fender smashed into tire so it cant turn so car isnt actually drivable. couldnt put the hood up much so not sure of the damage under there. What do you think the damage is?

also the air bags didn't deploy. is that normal for a collision like this.. not sure of impact speed but was going 45 slammed breaks and then bam into other vehicle. is that normal or some kind of defect?
here are some pics.

Last edited by fit4an4ng3l; 08-12-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
that looks quite bad. so sorry to hear about ur accident. the frame could be bent since the entire front is shifted to the right. if the frame is bent, it could be a write off.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
I hope you bought GAP insurance! And I also hope it wasn't your fault, sounded like the driver of the Caravan was reckless; driving out of a shopping center and across 4 lanes like you said.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
nope no gap insurance so hoping not totaled. just paid almost 20k for this car. suck to drive it for 500 miles then some reckless drivers fault it gets totaled they write it off at 17k and im stuck with 3k to pay for nothing. no accidents in like 15 years never speed always wear seat belt etc etc...who would have thought something like this would ever happen.

yes was other drivers fault he got failure to yield ticket and had witness statements. insurances have already been contacted statements given etc etc and there insurance has accepted responsibility.

in worse case scenario they do total it for less than what i owe(which is all, haven't even made 1st payment).what would be my options... sue the driver?

"doyoufit" do u agree with "blackvitzrs" about the frame being bent and if frame is bent then it could be a write off(totaled)?

does the frame being bent make that much of a difference in it being totaled out or not.

i can see the hood both fenders the front bumper and the lights will need to be replaced.. so far nothing mechanically. if just that.. they would be crazy to total it out... but if frame bent that's a whole new ball game?

and if it is totaled out... what happens to the car? do they just write me a check and give me my wrecked car back? so technically i could like strip it down and sell parts etc etc to recoup my loss since no gap or they write me a check and keep my car?

also what about airbags not going off.. is that normal in a collision like this?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
Looking at the pictures, it looks like the entire front end needs to be replaced. The hood, bumper, fenders, even the parts that make up the ACE body structure may need to be replaced.

My friend's Fit got backed into by a Lexus SUV two weeks after he bought it and the SUV's trailer hitch punctured the front bumper. He got a new bumper, but turned out one of the impact beams behind the bumper was damaged and that beam cost $1200 to replace. Insurance took care of all that though.

Again, looking at the pictures...I'm only worried about the chassis around the fenders. It'll be a costly repair I hope it's not totalled, let us know what happens.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackvitzrs
that looks quite bad. so sorry to hear about ur accident. the frame could be bent since the entire front is shifted to the right. if the frame is bent, it could be a write off.
I'm afraid yur spot on ma'man..''wrote off'

Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
yeah the front frame is what im worried about. its already at the shop now...one of the recommended places by our insurance.(actually Honda dealership body shop in our area)they will have someone check it out tomorrow(or so they said). hopefully we get good news.

weird thing is ... on the police report the cop put 2,900$ damage to the fit and 5,000$ damage to the 01 caravan. wonder where they get there estimation of damages training. it did almost look like a hole was punched into the van(didnt even think to get pics of the van was just worried bout pics of fit.. for personal records and for insurance purposes). tbh i think the fit held up good. would be perfect time to use the "you should see the other guy" line

Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit4an4ng3l
yeah the front frame is what im worried about. its already at the shop now...one of the recommended places by our insurance.(actually Honda dealership body shop in our area)they will have someone check it out tomorrow(or so they said). hopefully we get good news.

weird thing is ... on the police report the cop put 2,900$ damage to the fit and 5,000$ damage to the 01 caravan. wonder where they get there estimation of damages training. it did almost look like a hole was punched into the van(didnt even think to get pics of the van was just worried bout pics of fit.. for personal records and for insurance purposes). tbh i think the fit held up good. would be perfect time to use the "you should see the other guy" line
Yeah, keep ya fingaz cross'd
I think the cop put that number becuz for certain class' and types of vehicles they put the highest total that they can for a major accident. It's a baseline estimate. Doesn't affect what happens with yur insurance carrier or the repairs if any..

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh man I'd be so pissed off at that caravan. Good luck with everything!!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
you know with the value of used cars right now ----- you might not need gap insurance if it's totaled ?!

3K for nothing sux for sure.... but the resale value of the car fixed will take a hit as well. Also, I'm sure you love yer sport, but the base would be about 2K cheaper, so you could always downgrade to save some money.

Since it's not my money, I'd almost hope that it was totaled and I could get a new undamaged car.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
It's Fine

That's fixxable 4sur if they total it I want dibbs onit!
It just w frnt clip, fenders,bumper, hood & paint. If they total it; it can be had for 5-7K. 2K in parts and paint and ya got bookends!
Big Mike

Shoot Angel, Girl I thought I recognized the area we're neighbors girl!! I really do want to know if they total it out I will buy it I have a 16 yr old girl and that would be
recycled.
Who's are insured by Nationwide?

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 07-09-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Who's are insured by Nationwide?
The insured is GEICO. I'm already pissed, because they put me in a rental that was supposed to be comparable....puhleazze...this rental is so junky I can't even believe it. Had to take the first rental back because it had a blown headlight, then they put me in this kia....both are really crap compared to my Fit!!!

All I know is that when I get that car back it better be 100% perfect inside/out and all around and a full tank of gas as I had just left the gas station.

Do insurance companies ever give you more because of the diminished value? I don't think so, but just wondering.

BTW, this is my 2nd Fit. I bought a brand new one in 2008 too. I traded it in for a miata convertible last year, which was fun, but I could never get my mind off the Fit and felt regret. So when they did that special over the fourth of July for the 0.9% financing...I was sold!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 AM
i'd be interested to know what the final verdict was on this ...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thankfulgal2
i'd be interested to know what the final verdict was on this ...
I was told the adjuster would look at it in 24-48 business hours. Guess that means a couple more days before I hear anything. This whole thing sucks bad!!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
To the OP?

Sorry that just sucks. Period.

I'd guess you are right on the line with whether that will be totaled or not. Personally? I'd hope they do total it...even if I took a small loss.

Good Luck, hope it turns out better than you might think...or I might predict.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
So sorry to see what happened to your car. Glad you were OK and no one got hurt. Hope that the insurance can make it good and you get it back to normal soon. Yes, rental car companies gave me a Neon to drive when my truck was hit and ran on - hated that car.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
you may want to consider a few things. if the 0.9% APR isn't available anymore and they total it, you'll be paying more over the longhaul on the new vehicle. If they don't total it, you have to deal with diminished value. either Way, the other driver (or their insurance company) should be compensating.)

~SB

Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by fit4an4ng3l
Do insurance companies ever give you more because of the diminished value? I don't think so, but just wondering.
most Insurance companies don't acknowledge that 'diminished value' exists.

I was rear-ended in my '05 civc 6yrs ago (so it was basically new) it was a very serious hit, The other driver was traveling an estimated 90mph, and i was going about 40mph. The total bill to fix the car $9500, and it was in the shop for 2-1/2 months!! (plus a couple more visits to fix a leak in the trunk). 4yrs later i wanted to trade it in to buy a Fit, the dealership originally said that it looked like a $8500-9k trade-in.. they got one look at the carfax and said $4500 was all they could offer. I went to another dealership and they only offered me $5k.

I then wrote a lotletters, made dozens of phone calls and bitched all i could to State Farm about the diminished value of my Civic.. after about 3months they mailed me a check for $250

Sorry to tell you, but if you get it fixed, you may want to just drive it into the ground.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Ouch... Good luck with all this man... hopefully they don't total it out

Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
That sucks. Me and mike ( perrenoud fit ) just talked about this at a meet we did. Im gonna have to say due to value of the car versus cost to fix the car will be fixed. The guilty parties insurance is only gonna pay the bare minimum, so I doubt they total it. Trade in will be the issue now as stated above. Be picky dont accept anything but flawless. Take it back ten million times if need be. Make them do it right.

Off that keep us updated on outcome. If it comes back hit us up. We are in the 757 area and we meet up alot. We would love to have you out for a meet and greet.

Quick Reply: How bad is this? Wrecked...