General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any Fit Parents?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Any Fit Parents?

My Fit story: I drove a '84 Civic hatchback for many years and I LOVED it, especially the hatchback part. After my Saturn was viciously totaled by a teenager, I intended on buying a new Honda Civic sedan. The Honda salesguy showed us the only Fit on the lot and I had to have it.

Okay, I know that I am not Fit's typical demographic. For one thing, I am old. Late, late thirties old. Also, I have two school-age kids that I drive around. I may be a suburban mom, but I refuse to drive a *bleep*ing minivan.

I love my new Fit quite a lot. So far, all the junk that goes with kids seem to pack in nicely. The kids aren't embarassed to be seen with the car, anyway.

Anyone else carting kids around? Kudos? Problems?

columbusfit

2007 Storm Silver MT Fit

Old 06-30-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by columbusfit
My Fit story: I drove a '84 Civic hatchback for many years and I LOVED it, especially the hatchback part. After my Saturn was viciously totaled by a teenager, I intended on buying a new Honda Civic sedan. The Honda salesguy showed us the only Fit on the lot and I had to have it.

Okay, I know that I am not Fit's typical demographic. For one thing, I am old. Late, late thirties old. Also, I have two school-age kids that I drive around. I may be a suburban mom, but I refuse to drive a *bleep*ing minivan.

I love my new Fit quite a lot. So far, all the junk that goes with kids seem to pack in nicely. The kids aren't embarassed to be seen with the car, anyway.

columbusfit

2007 Stom Silver MT Fit
Hey now,

Glad you are enjoying your Fit. I am in my mid 30's and do have one child. I drive the Fit primarily to commute to work and my wife has our Element most of the time. We like both of them very much. The Fit's alignment seems to pull slightly to the left but i have an appt. next week to get it checked out.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:41 AM
w00t i like MILF's that can drive stick

lol....sorry.....couldn't help myself
im surprised to see such a wide range of demographic in this forum
most other automotive related forums are all males, and mostly young

kudos

Old 07-01-2006, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
I traded in my Element for a Fit, I have a two year old daughter and she likes her new car. I figured if families in other countries use a Fit for their main family car, why shouldn't we?

Old 07-01-2006, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
40, married, two kids. Everybody loves the car! 9year old daughter especially. She's always talking about it and the new car smell. We got out of a minivan (which was good for us) and now that we are out of strollers and diaper bags we feel like the Fit is plenty for us. We thought it would be a much more difficult adjustment to the smaller size but we are very happy!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
It's nice to see that Recaro makes a child seat for the Fit. Has anyone seen one available from Spoon or Mugen?

Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
41 year old married woman; two teenaged daughters; and can't wait for my manual tranny Fit!

Old 07-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I thought I was not the "proper demographic" either (41, male, single) but I love the Fit's utility and uncommon good looks. So I bought it! I, too thought it was for the "younger set."

Old 07-01-2006, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
I never had my kids taken away so I guess I am a "fit parent". We are redefining the demographics to a multi-generational car.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I have no comment but will post anyways... my parents drive a Mazda 626 and an 05 Suzuki Verona.. (I win and have th nicest car) hehe

Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for this thread. My wife and I are looking to replace her 1993 Civic DX hatch with a Fit. We will be starting a family next year and I needed to know if the Fit was a good family car. We have a 2006 Civic LX sedan, but we want the flexibility of a hatch. We have no intention of tricking or pimping the Fit, but rather, using it as a baby, dogs and grocery hauler. Any additional insights on the Fit as a family car would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Not quite an empty nester

Originally Posted by columbusfit

columbusfit

2007 Storm Silver MT Fit
I toted kids around first in a Civic 86 wagon, then a 95 Accord wagon. My daughter is college age, and not ashamed to be seen in my Fit -- she loves it. I let her drive it, but she said it made her nervous -- too responsive. I bought her a used Camry that she adores, but it doesn't have the Fit's rapid acceleration. I stil need versatility for 2 big dogs, garden supplies, friends, and when she's home my daughter and any other passengers. I also have to keep in mind the need to evacuate for hurricanes. I have a long commute to work every day, and I car pool with a big guy and occasionally an extra passenger who needs a ride. Good gas mileage plus the roomy comfort of the Fit makes it the perfect car for me. The Forum's demographics reflects the popularity of the Fit -- across the board. Like one member said: "1 size Fits all".

Old 07-01-2006, 12:18 PM
It' FiTs my family

I'm a 37 y/o dad of 3 (2,4,&9) and the FiT fits the five of us well for short trips. I probably wouldn't go more then a couple hundred miles in it tho...anythinig longer and we take the wifes Durango. I'm also a returning college student and I get penty'o props from the young'uns.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
22yr. old with a one year old...!!! and married... man boy does my little boy love the fit he walked straight to it at the dealership....so it was meant to be the family little car besides the galant..

Old 07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
pppfftt galant... POS

lol

Old 07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Interesting read. The demography for Fit (or Jazz as we call it) sales in the UK is entirely different to the US. It is NOT seen as a young people's car - very much middle aged and older. Often couples whose kids have left home and don't need a big family car anymore. Or a second practical car (that what we got it for). Also for people looking for rock solid reliability (Honda have a good reputation for that over here)

So I can beat the lot of you so far - late 50s. Suspect both my kids are older than many of the people who buy Fits in the US.

Interesting that Honda have clearly very different strategies in mind when selling the same (or similar) car in different markets.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Hello,
I have driven a Civic for years, and have aged out of it even. I have a 15 year old son who I thought I would pass my White Sport Fit to when he gets his license, but I am having some much fun with it that I think my son will get my old Civic and I will keep the Fit for myself. I am 39 btw.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Fit For The Family

"Interesting that Honda have clearly very different strategies in mind when selling the same (or similar) car in different markets."

Indeed, Honda really seems to pushing the FIT to the 20 something crowd here in the USA. Thanks to everyone who e-maled regarding the FIT as a family car. It is number one on a very short list of cars. If we buy, it will be in December or Janaury and I suspect we'll be getting a base model in Red with a 5-speed.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
40 old dad. 6 year old son. We traded Grand Cherokee for a Fit and my son was a bit dissressed at the dealership asking to have a Jeep back. My son has autism.
This is our 1st week of ownership and he loves it; Always asks to go out in the Fit.
We love the car.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
46 year old Dad with a 7yo & a 10yo. Both my wife and I are over 6' tall and the 4 of us are comfortable in the Fit.

We took it on a week long 1600 mile trip right after we got it and were a little apprehensive about taking it instead of the Crew Cab Truck but it was
OK.

Quick Reply: Any Fit Parents?