General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cracking paint issue???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Cracking paint issue???

So I was washing my wife's 07 yesterday and discovered this along the front passenger side fender:

This is the biggest crack, but there are smaller ones along the entire fender edge. Also the bumper is now flaking where it meets the fender. Will I get anywhere talking with Honda? Car is out of warranty I believe as she has 44,500 miles, but I wasn't sure how long the paint warranty goes for. So discouraged as this has been a great car up until this.
Advice?

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
One bad pot hole hit there.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
One bad pot hole hit there.
I find that really hard to believe that would ever cause paint to crack. Like I said, there are cracks at multiple spots. She or I haven't ever hit anything out of the ordinary either since owning it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Some body might of hit the front bumper in a parking lot. It almost looks like bondo cracks.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Some body might of hit the front bumper in a parking lot. It almost looks like bondo cracks.
No visible hits/marks anywhere though. I mean wouldn't it take a pretty hard hit to cause cracking at the rear lower fender well? And the alignment of the fender and bumper is almost perfect, not pushed back as if it was hit.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Something had to start the crack. My Younger son moved my wifes car and hit the back of mine so I expect some cracking sooner or later. I already have a bolt mark in the bumper. He hit it hard enough to move the car but no other visual damage on either car.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Something had to start the crack. My Younger son moved my wifes car and hit the back of mine so I expect some cracking sooner or later. I already have a bolt mark in the bumper. He hit it hard enough to move the car but no other visual damage on either car.
Really, wow. I never knew it could transfer like that around a painted edge. I wouldve thought it would've cracked the worst at the initial impact point though. There is about a 3" space on the edge that's ok then a 2" crack then 7" ok spot then another 2" crack then the pictured area above. Just seems so random.

Last edited by thelate1; 12-26-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Honda paint is soft and has a lot of problems, when the metal is hit it will crack eventually because of oxidation. You might of leaned on it, it dont matter what caused it because if it was a paint issue it would be in other spots too. I see a lot swirl marks which is a sign of no clear coat and you can see how soft the paint is. Try buffing the and putting a good coat of wax on. Where the cracks are the paint will come off.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Honda paint is soft and has a lot of problems, when the metal is hit it will crack eventually because of oxidation. You might of leaned on it, it dont matter what caused it because if it was a paint issue it would be in other spots too. I see a lot swirl marks which is a sign of no clear coat and you can see how soft the paint is. Try buffing the and putting a good coat of wax on. Where the cracks are the paint will come off.
Yeah it is due for a wax. All of the cracks are open already though. :/
The paint has already come off at the picture I posted. I feel I'm going to have to get the fender sanded and painted.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thelate1
Yeah it is due for a wax. All of the cracks are open already though. :/
The paint has already come off at the picture I posted. I feel I'm going to have to get the fender sanded and painted.
I need to clay bar and wax mine too. The swirl marks is the soft paint and lack of clear coat. There's a way to fix some of the swirl marks but I am not up on that.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
I need to clay bar and wax mine too. The swirl marks is the soft paint and lack of clear coat. There's a way to fix some of the swirl marks but I am not up on that.
My buddy does detailing so I'm going to have him work on it. I'm just pissed at the fact I'm going to have to have this painted. Then it'll most likely stand out being it won't have any swirls. Ugh...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Common problem with the bumper. All GD chassis and even GE chassis Fits experience paint peeling from around it. Not too sure about the fender though, looks like the fender liner may have rubbed away the paint on it. :/

Edit: Here is a link to a thread regarding the bumper's paint peeling. Again, I personally don't think the paint damage to the fender will be covered though, but don't hold me on that.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nt-bumper.html

Last edited by Hootie; 12-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Common problem with the bumper. All GD chassis and even GE chassis Fits experience paint peeling from around it. Not too sure about the fender though, looks like the fender liner may have rubbed away the paint on it. :/

Edit: Here is a link to a thread regarding the bumper's paint peeling. Again, I personally don't think the paint damage to the fender will be covered though, but don't hold me on that.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nt-bumper.html
Yeah, I knew about the bumper issue and had installed rubber washers between the fender and bumper but it must've torn and fallen out before I noticed this. The fender is what I don't get. It's not rubbed off, but a whole bunch of spiderweb cracks below the large one I posted.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thelate1
My buddy does detailing so I'm going to have him work on it. I'm just pissed at the fact I'm going to have to have this painted. Then it'll most likely stand out being it won't have any swirls. Ugh...
I would be too. I have to have my son detail my car. He is good at that. Its just the front fender right. You might see the dent when removing the paint.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
I would be too. I have to have my son detail my car. He is good at that. Its just the front fender right. You might see the dent when removing the paint.
This is literally only around the edge of the entire fender, no dents anywhere.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Swirl marks mean no clear coat? Is this right? I thought the swirls were in the clear coat?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Good catch, swirl marks are absolutely not due to lack of clear coat.

Leaning on your car won't cause the paint to crack. The OEM paint is flexible, which is why you see where the fender meets the bumper, the paint is peeling off like dried glue. This section of peeling is 'normal' in 2007 Fits, a lot of us have experienced it - it's just from rubbing that occurs between the panels, a poor design. If you've ever removed your bumper, you will know that it and the paint on it are flexible; twisting it around does not cause the paint to break.

Do you have better pictures of the other paint problem though? The one that runs along the wheel well? I have no idea what's going on there.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
For your reference, here's the more or less 'normal' paint peeling issue you're having: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nt-bumper.html

Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
For your reference, here's the more or less 'normal' paint peeling issue you're having: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nt-bumper.html
I was a little vague in my original post. Like I mentioned in my last reply, I was aware of the bumper peeling and placed 1/16 rubber washers between the fender and the bumper to solve this. That washer must've cracked and fallen out and I didn't notice it in time before it rubbed off. That can be touched up and really isn't my main concern. The cracking on the other hand has me upset. Here are the other two cracked spots on the same fender. They are hard to see but they're there.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Ah, I didn't see that. Well, I'm stumped.

Quick Reply: Cracking paint issue???